Newbie with a strange interior light issue

PervyPete

Reaction score
Hello all,

Deep breath here I go! Have an annoying issue with my 2001 A4 1.8t interior light, when it started the light would stay on regardless of what I did with doors or locks (DIS reports all door status correctly). I have tried changing the Comfort control unit which made no difference, since tried messing with the driver’s door lock which connects to the door module (As a result the interior light will now go off when I deadlock the car). But if I simply lock the car once, the light stays on and if I start the car the light also stays on (Auto dim should be turning this off). This was causing a battery drain but it seems this now doesn't occur when I deadlock the car. So any ideas? I did try disconnecting the driver’s door module completely but this seems to also leave the interior light on permanently even though the DIS says the driver’s door is closed!

At the moment I am thinking it's either the central interior light unit itself or a wiring issue?

Thanks in Advance,

Pete

Thanks for the useless reply. Anyone able to offer some decent advise?

I'd echo the second post, if the battery is being drained, simply turn off the interior light manually. At least for the time being.

You have replaced the convenience module I see, so the fault must be in the wiring. All the interior lights are coming on, but the DIS shows them all closed. I would assume then that the lighting circuit is being energised by another constant +ve source from somewhere in the car. There aren't that many constant +ves that are not switched at the ignition switch.

I don't know about this, but I would assume Audi can plug your car into a machine that will test the circuitry and could shorten a lot of searching.

But for now, to stop the battery drain, turn the lights off with the switch, not such a stupid idea after all!

But for now, to stop the battery drain, turn the lights off with the switch, not such a stupid idea after all!

Nope that part isn't (Sorry no sense of humor with this fault been driving me nuts for about a year now), have been doing that although until I messed with the door this weekend it would still drain the battery (Cleaning the contacts on the door lock - Door module seems to have helped). I have also found I can no longer adjust the brightness on the DIS. Anyone know if this is linked to the interior light in some way? Thanks again for the help

Forgot to say, also had VagCom on the car and did have a driver door lock error which has now been cleared and not returned.