Another vag com help

glens14a

Reaction score
my car has felt a bit sluggish this past week, so a mate offered to vag com it for me and these are the faults he found.

16698- Single cylinder misfire

17912- Intake air system bypass

16784- EGR flow malfunction

any clues what I should be looking for?
forgot to say its a 2003 2.0fsi with a lot of millage :yes:

those are probably not totally related mate, but may be 2 faults. Check the intake pipework for leaks or cracked hoses, and you may need a coilpack, don't know if the misfire was due to the air leak since unmetered air would be getting in and causing lean running.

The EGR valve is exhaust gas recirc to cool combustion chamber temperatures, I think the valve may be stuck.

So I should check the intake after the air flow meter for a leak.

I did have a thermostat problem so I wonder if that is related or cause the EGR problem?

yes to 1, no to 2 - the egr is Exhaust Gas Recirculation valve - nothing whatsoever to do with coolant, plus its mechanical / vac operated. Could be on the leaky line if you have one, so that its not opening due to low vac or air leak.

Check first for leaks on all air and vac pipes (might need to use a boost leak tester) and take it from there, thats probably whats wrong wi it mate.

An air leak would not make just 1 cylinder misfire tho, that could be a coilpack / plug faulty or a fluke from the weak mix.

I did a quick search after you said coil pack and found on other threads similar problems that I've had in the past week (really rough idle with bad vibration)
I've ordered a coil pack and had a quick look over the pipes but nothing obvious.