CATALYTIC CONVERTER

i started car in the morning and it started only on 3cylinders(v6),so i thought ignition coils vent of and took car to audi garage,they diagnosed it and it apears both cats burned out and need a replacement cost would be around 2500£,i heard that they could be cuted out dont know is it true or not,but any info would help

i started car in the morning and it started only on 3cylinders(v6),so i thought ignition coils vent of and took car to audi garage,they diagnosed it and it apears both catalytic converter burned out and need a replacement cost would be around 2500£,i heard that they could be cuted out dont know is it true or not,but any info would help

Hi man. My friend has also encountered a burned out on his catalytic converter and badly needed a replacement too. I was wondering if you were able to find a much cheaper replacement of it because my friend was also quoted of more than a thousand bucks for it so hoping to find somewhere of a cheap catalytic. Other suggestions where to get it cheap would be helpful.

there are cats available on ebay now for the 3.0 V6 (i know because I almost bought a couple). It's generally the pre-cats that go and then block the downpipes (again, personal experience talking here). So it's possible to get the cats off (one unit forms the cat, pre-cat and downpipe on each side), then have the precat opened and emptied. You can close it up or replaced with a piece of pipe, just make sure the lambda sensors are still in place when you finish.
Now what I did instead was got my hands on an S4 (B6 of course) Milltek cat back system and 2 new S8 cats. The S8 cats landed in my lap for next to nothing but you could get a couple of generic sports cats instead. A good custom exhaust centre should be able to advise you on this. Then you can either have the pre-cats gutted and swap the main cats for the generic sports cats.. or have the exhaust place make you downpipes. I went for the former option and will need to have proper downpipes made at some point. The important thing is that the bits of innards of the precats ar removed. the main cats will, in all likelihood be fine for a good while.
Why these cats come as single units I really don't know. I do know that £2500 is silly though.
good luck
Nj