Is this corrosion???

jones_g

Reaction score
Hi all,

I washed my car on Saturday and noticed a couple of blemishes on the bottom of one of my doors, its an 03 Audi A4.

Here's a couple of pics..

DSC03379.jpg

DSC03382.jpg

A couple of weeks ago I took the car to Audi for another paint related problem, this time lacquer peel on the rear quarter panel. Both Audi and a top quality paintshop I went to said the panel hadn't been repainted yet Audi refused to put it right. Here's a pic of that problem

DSC03383.jpg

If the top two photo's are the start of corrosion as I'm guessing I want to take it back to Audi again, and get it repaired under the paintwork warranty. Has anybody else had this problem on an A4, and what have been your experiences with getting it repaired??

Thanks

I had exactly the same lacquer problem on my 2004 A4 on the sill just behind the front wheel. Aberdeen Audi sent pictures off to Audi who did repair the problem so I'm surprised they won't do yours. Might be worth trying another dealer.

The door issue certainly looks like rust coming through from the other side.

i once had an a6 avant roof repaired by audi due to rust on the edge of the roof gutters apparently it was recognised as a manufacturing fault the machine that bent the roof panel was rubbing the protective zinc of the edge. and yes my a4 as got slight corrosion exactly like yours on the lower part of the passenger rear door also both my front wings are showing signs of corrosion ie bubles under the paint around the arch and i have seen this problem on my nephews 02 a4 shame realy they are fantastic cars you hear people saying no need to worry about corrosion on audis they are built with galvanised steel i would advise them not to be lulled into a false sence of security because audis most definately DO rust when you go to see an audi as a possible purchase keep this in mind and inspect it like any other car be warned audis can and do rust

older b5 a4's seem good for not rusting but the facelift seem to rust. mine has marks like that on the lower doors and it will be corrosion under the paint where water has got under after a stone chip.

mine has lacquer peeling on the rear roof shoulders, same as the op's. The car also suffers from a lot of tiny chips from stones etc that will rust if not fixed, also 2 dings in the bootlid from next door's kid on a bike, done on 2 days in a row!!!

That and the fact my lowers are charcoal. I reckon i'll try audi about the lacquer problem but I guess the rest will come out of me pocket :(

older b5 a4's seem good for not rusting but the facelift seem to rust. mine has marks like that on the lower doors and it will be corrosion under the paint where water has got under after a stone chip.

totaly agree i know a couple of lads with an s reg and an r reg not a sign of rust anywhere mine is an x reg b5 2001 and the corrosion protection on the early cars is far better for some strange reason

I had exactly the same lacquer problem on my 2004 A4 on the sill just behind the front wheel. Aberdeen Audi sent pictures off to Audi who did repair the problem so I'm surprised they won't do yours. Might be worth trying another dealer.

The door issue certainly looks like rust coming through from the other side.

They said they wouldn't repair it because there was no evidence of corrosion there so it wasn't covered by the paint warranty. I told them I'd never had a car with the same problem before, even older cars, and asked them to do it as a goodwill gesture, so the guy looked at the service history and said they wouldn't do it as the last couple of services hadn't been done at the main dealer!! I said that the paint wasn't a serviceable item and he said they were looking for loyalty to the brand etc. So I told him I'd only just bought the car so how could I be loyal to the brand??