Misfire when accelerating

2003 S4

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have a V8 S4 2003. It has developed a misfire, it only seems to be when accelerating from low revs in second gear. It runs fine all other times, in the morning, when cruising etc.

Does anyone have any idea what could be wrong?

Any help is very much appreciated.

Thanks

is it a sudden-death kind of misfire or a hiccup kind?

If its tied to a rev range low down, it can be a few things, like fuel and vacuum problems, but hard to say without knowing more mate, but we'll try and help you if we can :)

Thanks for your quick reply.

Its more of a hiccup, a couple of blips very quick but noticable. I have also noticed that it only seems to happen after steady driving, for example if I've been doing 40mph for a while. When I start moving from stand still it will happen. It does not tend to happen after hard driving.

I've only had the car for a week and have contacted the dealer who said get a garage to plug in a computer and get the report. He will pay for the repair but I guess it depends what it is. I might be getting my money back if its serious. I could not get him to do it as his garage is too far away. I have to say so far he has been helpful.

Are these cars normally reliable I'm worried I've bought a lemon?

I'ts also been suggested that it could be the coil packs, what do you recon?

I have arranged for a garage to plug the computer in on Monday, I can't do it before then as I'm away but I'm not using the car either so I guess I won't be causing any damage.

I guess I'm looking for re-assurance as Monday seems far away before I will get to see whats going on.

Thanks for your help/advice.

More than likely it will be a coil pack. Think its more noticeable as the car is warmed up.

Had similar issues when I had my a3t, replaced one coil pack then another went so I replaced the whole lot to be safe. Ran perfectly after that.

yeah thats a good suggestion mate, we have all had coilpacks go but I thought the problem was with the 1.8T ones, maybe yours too though. The 4.2 is meant to be a tough old beast so its probably nothing more.

If the car came from a garage seller / dealer then he is liable for all repairs in the first 30 days of ownership in Scotland, 28 days in England. Let them repair it, but its only £20 to £40 for a coilpack.

Cool,

actually I think I can get the garage to plug in the computer on Friday so all will be revealed then.

I'll post back the outcome.

Cheers all!

Is this Auto tiptronic or manual? surely a faulty coilpack would cause a misfire in all gears?