Big engine problems

mimo

Reaction score
Hello

I am a new user on this forum and a new Audi owner. 2 Weeks ago i bought myself a beautiful Audi A4 2.5 TDI V6 Quattro 180bhp. An absoloute dream so far, until a couple of days ago i was on the motorway doing about 80mph and all of a sudden the car cut out and i lost all power, and to cut a long story short a pulley that connects the cam belt to the engine had disintegrated and trew the timing belt off and has shredded the diesel pump belt.

Has anyone had a simmilar experience? Does anyone know what damage could have been caused to the rest of the engine?

Any help/advice/previous experience would be greatly appreciated.

Below is a pic that i took of the immediate damage....

dsc00468q.jpg

Hello and welcome to the forum:hi:

I wish I could give you better news, but the same happened to me in October. I have the same engine as your's and the tensioner pulley disintegrated which caused the timing belt to skip four teeth. End result being valves into pistons etc and it was deemed more cost efficient to get a second hand engine.

I eventually found one, which was fitted and it was ok. Then six days later it failed again :sob: This time the idler pulleybolt had broken causing the timing belt to skip and one more wrecked engine :faint: Luckily (?) this was repaired by the engine supplier, but when it was returned to me the wheels had been damaged, the car was filthy inside with oil stains etc and ran terribly. I have since spent another £1500 at a local independant getting it rectified.

Got it back today ironically and for the first time since October it is running well again :o.k: (touch wood!)

Let me know if I can offer you any advice mate, do you know what amount of damage has happened inside your engine yet?

Hi there....really sorry to hear about your problem with your engine.....

You did not say where you got the car, dealer or private buy...so fingers crossed it was a dealer and your car is under some form of warranty.....cos by the look of it your engine will have been trashed.....There is a chap on these forums called Quattrojames who has been in your position.....have a look at this link...

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/showthread.php?t=62812

ah...spooky...Quattrojames beat me to the response....

Based on the horror stories on this site, I decided to spend £450 getting my belts, tensioners and waterpump changed at an Audi Main Dealer at 48K miles......so fingers crossed it will be OK for the next 2 years before I sell it....

Cheers for the response guys....

The car was purchased from a local garage on a "sold as seen" basis. The only thing we were offered is if anything went wrong that they could sort it out at cost price.

So as we speak (type) the engine is being stripped to see what damage has actually been done. Hopefully nothing too much and i would love to get it repaired and back on the road. I am expecting bills anything from £700 to £2k depending on damage ofcourse.

The car was bought in good faith, salesman seems like a good guy willing to help. Car had full audi service history and timing belt was replaced by audi main dealer approx 20.000 Miles ago.

I guess its one of those things that you cant really blame anyone for, just gotta live with it....

QuattroJames - Where did you track down your engine, becuase im really struggling to find one anywhere in yorkshire..

QuattroJames - Where did you track down your engine, becuase im really struggling to find one anywhere in yorkshire..

I couldn't find one locally at all, so resorted to the internet and finally found one in Wales. Although I had issues with the seller and how he treated my car, I would generally recommend the guy as the failed engine wasn't his fault and he did eventually bend over backwards to help me.

If you are just after supply he is worth a call, just hope you don't need the car to go there under warranty :faint:

Let me know and I will PM you his details.

i think that if a dealer sells a car he has to give you a 3 month warrenty by law, so if you have had it less than 3 month you should be covered.
definately worth looking into !

just done a bit of research and it is true, so the dealer will have to pay for the repair.
even if they say sold as seen as a dealer he HAS to give a 3 month warrenty.

The car wasn't purchased from an audi dealer, just a local garage....

Thanks for the interest mate..

Mimo, get it looked into mate. It is 28 days, and you should be covered, I'd be going mental by now. You could even look into this through a solicitor at less cost than your expecting to fork out for engine work, if it comes to it. Don't take any **** from them. :gun2:

i think the 28 days refers to the time period that you can legally hand the car back but after that they still have to give a 3 month warranty.
i cant find a link to prove it but have phoned a trader friend to confirm it.

That failure looks very similar to a mazda v6 my dad baught for parts.

People have had cambelt failures and the like that quattrojames described however this similar in that both the mazda engine and your engine shattered what looks like the cam pulley itself. This is quite rare, usually the tensioner or idlers collapse and the belt becomes loose and thats what kills the motor, as james described...

On this mazda v6 however, the bloke had run it dry of oil, the camshaft had welded itself to the cylinder head and siezed solid, causing the pulley to shatter.

I just hope thats not whats happened in your case!

i think the 28 days refers to the time period that you can legally hand the car back but after that they still have to give a 3 month warranty.
i cant find a link to prove it but have phoned a trader friend to confirm it.

It's 28 days, full stop, nothing special for cars it's all part of the sale of good act.

Hello Guys, just a quick update.

The car has been stripped and luckily no major damage has been caused. Cylinders are all ok and all the valves seem to be fine. One small piece of the right head casing has been damaged and will need to be replaced but thats about the most major thing. There are a number of Rockers/Switches that have snapped and they need replacing.

Cost wise, still looking at a fair bit to get it back on the road. New belts and pulleys, head gaskets x2, and rockers/switches, few bit of plastic that snapped etc... Thankfully nothing major....

here is a pic of it in the current state, honestly never believed that it would look like this when i was handing over the cash for it a few weeks ago, but hey ho.... all's well that ends ok.

dsc00486t.jpg

Hello Guys, just a quick update.

The car has been stripped and luckily no major damage has been caused. Cylinders are all ok and all the valves seem to be fine. One small piece of the right head casing has been damaged and will need to be replaced but thats about the most major thing. There are a number of Rockers/Switches that have snapped and they need replacing.

Cost wise, still looking at a fair bit to get it back on the road. New belts and pulleys, head gaskets x2, and rockers/switches, few bit of plastic that snapped etc... Thankfully nothing major....

here is a pic of it in the current state, honestly never believed that it would look like this when i was handing over the cash for it a few weeks ago, but hey ho.... all's well that ends ok.

dsc00486t.jpg

That picture brings back memories :3sadwalk:

What worried me was the bits of followers, have they found all the bits? Even one tiny bit that went down your oil wells into the sump has the potential to break lose at sometime in the future and then float around inside the block just waiting to destroy it again! :fain:

Hello Guys....

Just to say that i got the car back 2 days ago and it seems to be running very sweetly indeed. Perhaps even a bit quieter than before, but this could be becuse it has had a full major service.

In terms of driving, it seems much like before although i cant help thinking that there has been a slight bit of power loss. Don't get me worng it still pulls like a train, or maybe its just in my head.

In the end the final bill was £1,200. Still a hell of a lot. But i think we were lucky that no major damage was done i.e Cylinders, Valves, Camshafts. But all the little bits added up and the pump had to be sent away to have the timing re-adjusted.

Lets just hope that anything like this does not happen anymore to me or anyone else for that matter, because this month has been very stressfull indeed.

Lets just hope that anything like this does not happen anymore to me or anyone else for that matter, because this month has been very stressfull indeed.

You're right there - my timescale and final bill were four times what your's were so I am glad you have had a good result with this! :thumbsup:

why didnt you get the dealer to pay for it !

The Audi dealer wasn't having anything to do with it. Simply refused any responsibility claimin that anything could have happened in that year/20.000 miles since the belt was changed, and if it was down to their work it would have gone much sooner that a year. Which i guess in some way is true.

The car dealer where i bought the car from again similar sort of excuse, "its an engine, anything can go at any time"

I think if i persued it further, perhaps with legal action then i may have got somewhere but to be honest i dont have the time or patience and at the end of the day it boils down to this: "Its a used 8yr old car, sold with no guarantee, which i accepted and signed for when i was paying for it"

there is no such thing as "no guarantee" when it comes to a trader selling a car mate, for the first 30 days after you take possession, its their responsibility under the Sale Of Goods Act 2001 " the item must be of merchantable quality, and fit for purpose" - NO car seller is exempt, except private sales between 2 individuals.

Last year, I bought an Alfa 156 TDi from Arnold Clark, the brakes and clutch went within 2 weeks of buying the car, and they spent £1500 on new discs x 4, pads x 8, wheel bearings, tyres, a full clutch kit, a servo and a master cylinder, all under the 30 day SOG warranty. I didnt pay a penny. (included their exhorbitent labour rates too )

With all respect, you jammy git. Like quattrojames i have had a long saga with a blown AKE engine, its all on the diesel forum. With regard to getting your money back, gift horse and mouth spring to mind but its your money. Hopefully you can just sit back and enjoy the engine. Oh, and get it chipped or mapped and get rid of that iiritating low down sluggish response below 1800rpm

As with all things depends where you go. I used turbochip, cost me £470, Star performance will do you one for about £500, theres plenty of others around. Mine improved bottom end response, mid range torque and max horsepower, full details on my thread in the diesel forum. It also puts a smile on my face when i boot it up the road.
I would look carefully past the peak horsepower claims to the power / torque curves and look at the bottom end - 215hp is no use if it bogs on the line.