Fitting Ignition barrel Audi A4 1.9TDI 130BHP

kashiskash

Reaction score
Hello lads,
Has anyone here fitted an ingition barrel on a 2003 A4 as I need to fit one on mine as the original one has been screwdrivered. I've received the new one from Audi but I dont know exactly how to go about it.
Iam worried about taking the steering wheel off and the airbag going off or knackering it,
Can anyone help please?
Paul :kissmyrings:

disconnect the battery for 10 minutes, then remove the 2 screws from behind the steering wheel, that releases the airbag. disconnect its plug inside the wheel from the outside of the car (i.e. dont sit in front of it), then place it pad upwards in a safe location (in the garage / shed for instance) then commence to remove the shroud and wheel itself.

Now Ive changed a couple of ignition barrels but not an audi, however most have shear-off bolt heads that are busted off when the ignition is fitted, dont expect to get those out quickly or easily. You'll need screw extractors or an ingenious effort on your part to get those buggers out.

Alternatively, if you can take the switch part off and leave the mechanical steering lock alone, you would be well advised to do that, since it only involves unplugging the ignition plug and swapping the bit the key goes into, otherwise its a whole different ball game. Steering locks are designed to be hard to get off....

cheers for the advice mate iam gonna give it ago this week now I have a few days off work.
will let you all know the outcome