EM TuningAH Fabrications

Thread: 1.9 tdi ccv mod

Reverse Gear

Status

1.9 tdi ccv mod

has any one done this mod to a 1.9 tdi that could tell me what i need to do and where ? was thinking about doing it if its easy enough.

cheers guys

mikey

2. # ADS
    ADS

Space Cowboy

Status
    do you mean PCV mod mate?
    B4 TDI - old skool project / daily driver...if it ain't broke, it's probably an Audi...

Reverse Gear

Status
    been reading up about fitting a catch tank to stop oil vapours entering the intake pipe work. crank case ventilation mod ? but from what ive found to read up on for the pd 130 its all seats and fabias

Space Cowboy

Status
    ah yeah I actually thought about that too, since the black oily sooty crap soon clogs the intake pipework and the throttle butterfly etc.

You can do the following:

Remove and plug the small vacuum line from the PCV (big black plastic cylinder) and then remove the PCV itself, the short tube from the head is the outgoing fume path, so all other pipes coming from the PCV valve can be capped or traced and removed, then the exits they connected to must be capped or plugged. Probably easier to plug the end with a plumbing fitting blank-end, then a jubilee clip, finally ty-wrap them to something else to tidy the job up.

Now, the short tube that came from the head, should go to your catch tank, which must be vented so that crankcase pressure doesnt build up and blow any seals etc - they should be made like this so just make sure you get a vented one.

Mount the tank somewhere out of the way, connect it up, and bingo.

There are no sensors on the PCV system, its purely mechanical / vacuum driven and safe to remove as long as you plug all ends that came from the valve and run that one tube from the head to the tank, no wires to deal with or nuthin
    B4 TDI - old skool project / daily driver...if it ain't broke, it's probably an Audi...

Reverse Gear

Status
    does that write up apply to both petrol and diesel engines ? did you do that write up your self or find it on line ? if you did do you have a link to the origional page ?

cheers for your help mate

Space Cowboy

Status
    no I just typed that off the top of my head mate, its what you would need to do and should apply to diesel or petrol, one end of a PCV goes to the rocker cover or crank case, thats the one that needs piped to the catch tank, and the others must be blocked off as they were the "exits" from the PCV to the intake, so they will draw air if not plugged.

Reverse Gear

Status
    your a legend mate cheers. have you done this mod your self ?

Space Cowboy

Status
    cheers!

i am seriously considering it cos the PCV is full of sooty crap and so are the pipes, so I would much rather put that goo into a catch can than through the engine.

That cant possibly help the motor getting fed that oily soot eh?