RNS-E + Ipod + CD Changer

N80KRR

Reaction score
Has anyone got this setup working? I've been looking around and the alpine unit sounds to be pretty good. Plus an alpine tv tuner for some reversing action.

Your subject doesn't seem to match the question....

And I think that you're confusing TV tuners and an AV line in: a TV tuners allows you to pickup broadcast signals (BBC1, BBC2, ITV, Ch4 and C5) and a Freeview TV Tuner will pickup the Digital equivalent (BBC1, ITV, etc and also TMC, Sky News, Sky Sports News, ITV2, 3, 4, etc, etc)... NEITHER of these is required if you're just trying to setup a reversing camera as these will generate their own AV signal wich jsut needs to be wired into the head unit.

To answer the subject and first part fo teh question: I know that the RNS-E with a CD stacker and iPod cable is an Audi supported config, so there should be no problems there and you can add in a Freeview TV tuner to that setup and use the "TV" channels for that.

I'm not sure how people have done with setting up reversing cameras AND Freeview TV tuners, but I'm pretty sure that people have setup TV tuners and Playstations before, so presumably there are enough AV lines in on an RNS-E, so I think you'll be okay.

If the question is relating to an Alpine head unit rather than the RNS-E, then there's no point in asking the RNS-E question as you'll be putting the Alpine head unit in INSTEAD of the RNS-E - just look at the head unit's manual.

no keep the rns but add Alpine KCE 425i so that I can use my ipod. Was thinking about adding a digital tuner to this to enable tv as it says at http://www.vwcruise.com/67.html just read somewhere that you can't keep the cd changer and have a ipod connection. but hopefully including the alpine box it should enable this. just wondered how everyone else was wiring things up.

okay - understood...

tbh, I'm not 100% sure ont eh CD stacker iPod stuff... CD stacker is a bit too old-school for me and after i heard that iPod wouldn't give you track names and info, I lost interest in that.

I'm just using 2 x 4Gb SD cards in the RND-E headunit - lots of songs and all my favourite playlists setup.... happy days!

Althoguh I am DEFINTELY looking to add SDS adn Bluetooth and keeping an eye out for Freeview TV tuner options, mostly just for DAB really, but I want to get one that can be controlled via the RNS-E interface (not a remote), so think it's gonna be an expensive Audi one :(

audi sell a freeview tuner? that would be expensive but every oem. I wanna keep my motor as oringianl as possible. i only said about the stacker as it'll already have one fitted. I guess that'll only read audio cd's too. otherwise could've had 6 data cd's. So 2 4bg sd cards it is then. i'm sure £17 is cheaper than an audi ipod connection.

also - Audi iPod apparently jsut gives you the first five folders as "CD's 1-5" and then folder 6 as CD6.... and no track names.

the SD cards will give you track names and will read ID3v2 tag info and display on the DIS.

sound waulity not as good as CD's, but it's not bad.... and it's simple!

and I'm not 100% sure the Freeview tuner is Audi, but there is one that allows you to integrate with the RNS-E screen, so you use the built in controls.

There most definitely IS an official Audi hybrid (Freeview + analogue) TV tuner, and it has the same connections as the analogue only one and fully integrates with the RNS-E.

I'm just using 2 x 4Gb SD cards in the RND-E headunit - lots of songs and all my favourite playlists setup.... happy days!

What SD cards are you using ?

I can't seem to get any 4GB SD cards that aren't SDHC.