A4 Cabrio battery replacement

hotglove

Reaction score
HELP!!!
Could some kind soul give guidance as to how to remove and replace the battery on my 2003 A4 Cabrio 2.5 V6 Tdi.
It is not clear how the battery is clamped into position, and I do not wish to dismantle any more of the car than I have to.
Thank you in advance for any advice.
Ian:think:

its an absolute BAST**D, remove all the plastic covering to expose the whole battery tray, then if you are standing at the front leaning over the engine to the battery there is a rubbery squareish channel just in front of the battery running to the left, youll sea what i mean once you get that far, you will need to try your best to prize this out the way to expose a nut on a clamp tucked away at the very front centre of the battery right down at the base, you need to remove this, i think your ment to just slacken off but i found it was still in the way so had to fully remove, once done then slide and lift until it lifts out the top, it will need to be at a slight angle if i remember right, i found it to be a bit of a pig but sadly you dont get far without one.
hope this helps a bit.
dont forget to put the clamp back on once your new one is in position, equally fun as removing sadly.
any probs feel free to ask.

The head of said nut (its a bolt) is a star-spline torx bit, quite large, cant remember the size but I said words that dont even exist getting that bitch of a battery in and out mate, its a cow of a job.

I had to climb on top of the engine too to get the battery out of the hole after breaking my back undoing the clamp and fishing the pigging thing up a tiny crevasse. Only Geoff Capes could hoist a battery out of that hole from the front or side!

sorry it is a torx bit, it was a while ago though, i only remember it being a bast**d and shouting the same words as evil did. lol

Thanks for the advice and support, I found it a bit of a struggle to lift out, but, having taken note of the comments, placed a piece of ply over the engine cover (to spread load and prevent damage) which helped considerably. Mission accomplished. Thanks again, Ian