HELP pls....Is it really my turbo charger????

Steve N

Reaction score
Hello,

I desperately need some advice. I have an audi A4 2001 1.8T SE and I have been experiencing problems with my engine.

My engine sounds like a transit van especially when I am either stationary or accelerating. In second gear at 40mph...it sounds really dreadful.

I travel the M1 daily to work and I have noticed the car tends to struggle when I put my foot down..I can hear the turbo kinda kickin in but then the noise increases and it sounds as if the engine is working extra hard to keep th car going... I do hear a slight whinin sound from the turbo..

This all happened after a recent service.

To give some background, the engine is a secondhand engine and has been running and purring very well for about a year now until this problem.

I have left the car with my mechanic (he fitted the secondhand engine about a year ago!!) for a week and he's come up with the fact that it could be the bearings or my crankshaft .....and now he says its my turbo charger..

He claims he did not change the turbo charger when he fitted the secondhand engine about a year ago and he used the turbocharger from my old engine which got busted...(long story...!)

Therefore, he is now claiming it could now be my turbocharger and he would have to replace it and I will not have this problem..

The question is, from what I have said, could it be the crankshaft or the turbo charger..what is the likelyhood of using the car as it is for a few weeks? (I have no cash at the mo!!)

Could he not test the turbo charger to see if it really is the one with the problem?

The turbo he said will cost me approx. £600 - 700 from Audi. Is that correct? Hmmm....I am in a dilema..I love my car and now thinking of what to do.. Pleaseee help. Any advise will be most appreciated...

Any garage that cannot differentiate between a faulty crankshaft and a fault turbo would have me running a ******* mile!

Take the car somewhere else, and never EVER go near him again.

I cant really tell from what you describe whats going on. Generally when turbos fail their either smoke a LOT, produce no boost or fail pretty catastrophically. They dont make the engine clatter (i presume thats what you mean by sounding like a transit van)

If it was the crankshaft or associated bearings, the engine would be very noisy when running, with heavy constant knocking noises coming from deep down inside which increase in frequency with revs and will get louder under load, and if you've run it for any time like that, its going to be seriously humped.

I agree with Aragorn, it doesn't sound like the turbo to me. I'd definitely get a second opinion. Is there a considerable loss of power - it sounds unlikely from your description but its not something simple as a failed coil pack is it?

On my TDi when the turbo failed I got a "sock full of nails in the exhaust noise", little/no power and sooooooooooo much smoke it was unreal.

Turbo cost £450 ish for a rebuilt unit with new core and £150 fitting at local garage.

Good luck,

Chris

if its a light rattly clatter like a diesel it could be wear in the top end and the cams are responsible? worn rockers or lifters sound bad tho I guess the 1.8T engine has direct acting lobes on hydralic bucket "lifters" (which push down not lift etc) and maybe they are worn and not opening the valves properly now, giving less power and limiting boost assistance. Bottom crank bearings have a heavy hammering sound, cams are clattery like a diesel minicab.

Turbo bearings grumble or squeal when they wear and the sound is only really evident when they are on boost.

Thanks very much for your advice guys ..much appreciated.I am now convinced it is my crankshaft after a visit to at least 3 garages..Its unbeliveable how long its taken to get this resolved..I wont have done it without your advise..Thanks very much again..

I hope your not letting the original monkey anywhere near it...

If it IS the crankshaft, you're quite possibly better off just looking for a replacement engine.

If its been driven around with dead bearings, the crank will be knackered and the bearing tunnel in the block might be shot too. Theres also the reason why its spun ints shells, working engines dont just eat crankshafts, so that would indicate some kinda problem with the librication system, and quite likely means the rest of the engine is a bit knackered too... By the time you've paid out for the crank, bearings and labour for someone to rebuild the motor, you'll likely be better off just picking up another engine and installing that whole, and thats before looking at the rest of the motor that may or may not be knackered.

yup, and you can use any 1.8T engine, even from a passat.