Cam Belt

N80KRR

Reaction score
I'm looking at buying an Audi that has done 90k but needs the cam belt changing. What else does everyone suggest i change at the same time? Water Pump, Idler Pulleys, Tensioner, Cam Belt. Also do you think it would be alright to drive it around 100 miles home including motorway journey before getting it changed I don't want to brake it if I've just bought it.

what engine size did u settle on?

I think all the 2.5TDI's need doing every 80k / 5years...

the 1.8T's are more frequent on mileage (every 50k / 5 years, I think)...

I know the 2.5TDI's need the waterpump doing at the same time, but I'm not sure on the others...

i'd be doing the water pump when your in there, as if it fails later its the same amount of work again to change it (assuming the B6 has an internal pump, if its external then its not so crucial)
You want to do the idler and tensioner rollers, belt, and probably worth doing the auxiliary belt and its tensioner while your there.

1.8t, went and looked at a couple at the weekend, however the one in question has done around 90k so I'm guessing it needs to be changed asap. Do you think the water pump would be advised as well? Don't wanna pay out for someone to take the front end off and then a couple of months later have to shell out for it again, just to do the water pump

also a have a family member who is a mechanic, would he be able to do it or is it really a garage job?

Stafford Audi will do the cambelt for £275 and you get 2 yeard warrantee with it. Definately get the water pump done

200+ miles seems a bit far. When does/has everyone changed theirs? Cos apparently the garage the missus just went to said not till 115k. But i'm not risking my little babies engine.

So Cambelt, Water Pump, Tensioners. Anything else, on a 90k motor? While she's in the garage I might as well get some quotes for other itmes that will need replacing.

As i said, aux belt and its tensioner is probably due at the same time, and its probably worth doing an oil change while your there, just make sure they use good oil. Insist on a 5w40 fully synthetic oil.

Audi's Elsawin manual can be had from ebay, which shows you all the common maintenance tasks in detail, you might also be able to find it online in some less scrupulous places.

So Cambelt, Water Pump, Tensioners. Anything else, on a 90k motor? While she's in the garage I might as well get some quotes for other itmes that will need replacing.

Make sure you do the bolts on the tensioner and idler pulleys too.

As i said, aux belt and its tensioner is probably due at the same time, and its probably worth doing an oil change while your there, just make sure they use good oil. Insist on a 5w40 fully synthetic oil.

Audi's Elsawin manual can be had from ebay, which shows you all the common maintenance tasks in detail, you might also be able to find it online in some less scrupulous places.

I just like to have digital copies of things so that if I lose them or they get dirty i can just print another out.

Aux belt, Cam Belt, Tensioner, Ideler pulleys and oil. Loads to change. Anyone else got any other idea's as the front of the car has to come off anything I should get them to check while they are there?

Yeah sorry posted that before I googled it. Looks very good. That'll be my first purchase for the new A4. Unless anyone could share the image file.