RNS-E 2009

N80KRR

Reaction score
Does anyone have this?
Is it even out yet?
Also can anyone tell me how the rns works? (like is it a dvd player that uses the disc as navigation)
because when I purchase my a4 (eventually) that'll be retrofitted.

I have the 2009 RNS-E Nav.

RNS-E uses a DVD behind the screen, the disc needs to be in all the time for Nav to work. And from what I can see, you can't use the DVD part to play DVD movies on the screen.

Personally, after spending over £200 on the new 2009 DVD's. I can't see any difference to the 2008 one I had.

Same Firmware as 2008 so no extra features, and the roads I use haven't changed since 2008.

I got the 2009 DVD in November 2008 from a guy in Belgium - they go on sale much earlier there than in the UK. There are some map differences (updated roads, etc) but no software differences (still version 0650).

The RNS-E DVD drive cannot play video DVDs - all it can play are: map DVD, MP3 CD (but not DVD), audio CD, software update CD or DVD. That's it. If you want to play DVDs you need to add a multimedia adapter (like a Kufatec IMA) and a DVD player - and if you want to watch the DVD while you're doing more than 5mph you'll need to do the VIM software hack.

So if i purchased an older rns unit say 2007 how easy is it to update the firmware? Cos I doubt I'll be able to get a new one but I'm not too bad on the computer so think I could probably update it if thats possible.

So if i purchased an older rns unit say 2007 how easy is it to update the firmware? Cos I doubt I'll be able to get a new one but I'm not too bad on the computer so think I could probably update it if thats possible.

The firmware updates with the NAV DVD as soon as you put it in.

My RNS-E is in my 2004 A4 and when I upgraded to the 2008 DVD it performed the firmware update for me.

Not sure if the UK 2009 DVD's are out yet, but I've got the Western Europe (incl. UK) version with the 0650 software imported from Germany a few weeks back.

Not sure if the UK 2009 DVD's are out yet, but I've got the Western Europe (incl. UK) version with the 0650 software imported from Germany a few weeks back.
It's a DVD that covers the whole of Europe - there is no such thing as a UK DVD.

ah... so the "UK DVD's" that people are the same DVD's, but they're referring to the fact that they are the ones that are supplied by Audi UK?

ah... so the "UK DVD's" that people are the same DVD's, but they're referring to the fact that they are the ones that are supplied by Audi UK?
Spot on - throughout the whole of Western and Eastern Europe (including the UK) they have the same Audi part number 8P0 060 884 AD or 8P0 919 884 AD depending on whether it's a parts sale or supplied with a new car.

And it's the same DVD for all cars that use the RNS-E - 8P A3, B6/B7 A4, R8, TT Mk 2.