Got bored at work

Not a bad first effort

• Total voters

N80KRR

Reaction score
So it's Friday not that busy so me and my mate just created this what does everyone think?

27022009723-vi.jpg
27022009724-vi.jpg

27022009725-vi.jpg
27022009726-vi.jpg

It's only made out of polystyrene but quite cool? It's my first project at work.

it's not quite as easy as made to order. I had to creat the file of the a4 which has taken me months. If you had a 3d drawing file of the A6 I could look in to it.

Haha that brilliant, how big is it?

That looks wicked. :applaus:

Was it cut from one block of polystyrene ? and how was this done...by machine or hand ?

Nice work, looks like you spent a fair bit of time working on it :)

That looks really cool, it must have taken ages though!

it was out of a single block of poly it was routed on a thermwood machine. I'm just learning how to use all the features properly. Looking forward to making some custom pieces for myself.

what is the normal purpose of the routed poly the machine produces mate, since its obviously only any use as packing material eh?

Is it to make moulds from for plastic injection or fibreglassing?

Anything really. Making boat moulds which are covered in expanding foam and routed back(they're extremely strong for mould taking then), building a part for a submarine, just finshed building formers for a giant head that will be put up somehwere near st helen's, also finsihed some form work that was used on the spencer dock bridge which i'm sure some irish users will know about. Also this month on grand designs there is a stair case which I made it's poly then fiberglassed then covered in a slurry epoxy resin mix to make it smoooth. Your imagination is about where our production stops.

nice! sounds like an interesting job mate, and a high tech way to make quality formers.

our tolerances on the machine are around 0.05mil but then I get to finish it so it ends up around +5 mil. Lol. Anyone seen the spencer dock bridge yet? Curious as I haven't seen any pictures but know they have already started it. So what does everyone else on here do to earn a living?

im an electronics engineer - currently in the automated machinery game, mostly food manufacturing machines (cutting/packaging) and waste treatment plant.

Used to do weapons inertial navigation / gyro guidance systems & medical lasers.....ive gone down in the world LOL