Volks AutosChris Nott
    Neutral

Status

water temp question

Hello,

First post in the technical section hope I don't have to do it too often

My 03 2.0fsi water temp gauge is reading very low, should I look for anything other than the thermostat?

Glen.

2. # ADS
    ADS

4th Gear

Status
    Faulty temp sender?

Check the radiator hoses from a cold start. If they start getting warm quickly then the 'stat is probably stuck open.

Neutral

Status
    thanks
    I'll give it a go on sunday

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Macduff View Post
    Faulty temp sender?

Check the radiator hoses from a cold start. If they start getting warm quickly then the 'stat is probably stuck open.
    Should I check both top and bottom hoses from cold start?
    Found this article on temp sensor http://www.audiworld.com/tech/eng47.shtml

Space Cowboy

Status
    top hose is the hot return from the engine and the bottom one is the cool feed to the engine - check the top one.

If you can get a hold of one, a laser temp probe (silverline do a cheap one) or a contact thermometer - you could check the pipe temp on the large black metal section as it leaves the engine (top hose), and compare that with the gauge reading, if they match, the stat is stuck open and the engine really is as cool as it says, if not, the sensor is faulty.
    B4 TDI - old skool project / daily driver...if it ain't broke, it's probably an Audi...

Reverse Gear

Status
    on this topic my car temp runs at70 on the gage then if i go at speed or motorway the car will rise to 90 never gose over that then if i slow down it will drop back down to around 70 it has been doing this since i got the car is this normal? Thanks.

Space Cowboy

Status
    Hi stevie, thats probably a sign that the stat is faulty, ie more open than it should be, since at higher speeds the pump flow is higher too so the sender sees higher temps, and at low speed the engine is overcooling. Is your fan running constantly at the radiator? The car seems to detect stuck open stats or other water flow problems silently but turns the cooling fan on all the time for some weird reason, ive seen a lot of folks with that problem on here.

Mine is rock steady at 90 no matter what I do, and warms up extremely quickly from cold.

Even with a fairly large leak at the coolant flange on mine (another saga) it doesnt run hotter or cooler, just right.
    Last edited by evilscotsman; 1st March 2009 at 13:50.
    B4 TDI - old skool project / daily driver...if it ain't broke, it's probably an Audi...

Neutral

Status
    didn't get a chance to check while there was daylight today but i did notice that the heater won't blow hot.

Neutral

Status
    thanks again for the help and info guys,

I checked it this morning and the top hose does feel warm to the touch but definitely not hot.
    Is the thermostat a diy job (where is it on a 2.0fsi) or a big pain in the rear let Audi do it Job.

Space Cowboy

Status
    gaah its a bit of a job, but doable I suppose:

http://euroautoforums.com/forums/ind...?showtopic=143

I think thats a 1.8T - dunno if the 2.0 fsi is even like that but probably is.

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by evilscotsman View Post
    Hi stevie, thats probably a sign that the stat is faulty, ie more open than it should be, since at higher speeds the pump flow is higher too so the sender sees higher temps, and at low speed the engine is overcooling. Is your fan running constantly at the radiator? The car seems to detect stuck open stats or other water flow problems silently but turns the cooling fan on all the time for some weird reason, ive seen a lot of folks with that problem on here.

Mine is rock steady at 90 no matter what I do, and warms up extremely quickly from cold.

Even with a fairly large leak at the coolant flange on mine (another saga) it doesnt run hotter or cooler, just right.
    Have you checked the temp in vagcom? I've read on many forums that the temp gauges often stick at 90 even when the temps vary. I've seen 90c read on a car when the temp has been from 78-88c. Diesels do fluctuate and don't run as hot. I tested mine with a new thermostat. It made no difference. It warms up to 80 quick and operates at about 80-84c.

I had a temp gauge prob that was fixed with a dry joint, but, initially I thought it the sender. The new sender showed varying readings as I get in vagcom. Up hills warmer, downhills it would cool say 4-5 degrees.
    2001 - Silver A4 1.9TDi Sport

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by evilscotsman View Post
    gaah its a bit of a job, but doable I suppose:

http://euroautoforums.com/forums/ind...?showtopic=143

I think thats a 1.8T - dunno if the 2.0 fsi is even like that but probably is.
    Yes I found that write up in another Audi forum whilst searching.
    If it is the same as the 1.8 then I think its take it to the garage time as I've had a look in that general area and looks like a big job.

Space Cowboy

Status
    yeah mate these engines are hideous to work on due to the longitudinal mounting and lack of space around it, right pain in the arse eh.

Neutral

Status
    I was going to book it in for a service as the service light has come on, may as well get them to do it at the same time.