Retro-fitted rns-e and now have flat battery!!

foolish3uk

Reaction score
finally decided to have a go at retro-fitting rnse to by a4 avant, after changing all my dash to double din i was excited about the last part of plugging it in and playing around, i brought the unit off of Ebay and the same guy supplied all the adapters and aerial bits, seems like a nice guy.

HOWEVER, unit worked great could not fault it untill i wanted to go out to the shops 5 hours after i fitted it and found that my car battery was completely dead!! the battery before was in mint condition and only had a drain of 0.063 amps. after getting a jump pack i took it in to work and found a massive 2.89amp drian after 2 mins of locking the car.!
After pulling the fuses one by one to conform the inevitable i found that it was definately the rnse unit that was at fault. the guy i brought it off seems happy to exchange it or refund it if he does not have another compatible unit but part of me is still worried about the fact that i have sent him back the unit and he still has my money and i dont have another one as yet.

ebay price £459 including delivery + £20 to return it so far.

any of you guys come accross the same problem in the past.

it was a CX part number that i brought.

I've heard of a some bugs where the head unit repeatedly resets itself, reboots and then resets... but I thought that was related to a faulty electronics system - nothing to do with the RNS-E.... I'm sure somebody here will know about that though.

Check your adapter loom is wired correctly as could have a perm live in place of ignition switched etc

Where'd you see this reset problem Lostbok, Chris is it?

NHN,
you would poss answer this better, i have come across the loom issue that your on about but also does it also effect it in this way if its not coded correctly?
im sure people have had the same issues and was sorted once coded.
i might be wrong but im sure i read it somewhere.

Have you got Bose? I suspect a wiring/coding issue may be stopping the bose amp powering down. I would eliminate wiring/coding problems before suspecting the RNS-E to be faulty.

BOSE or not the amp wiring is the same.

The usual problem is pin 13 on connector D, this normally drives the amplifier and is sometimes connected to pin 16 by mistake, relocating it will solve the issue.

I would also check the coding, some very dodgy RNS-E units out there which if correctly coded may not understand the can messages correctly and nit be shutting down the unit correctly. Although it may appear to be off.

NHN,
you would poss answer this better, i have come across the loom issue that your on about but also does it also effect it in this way if its not coded correctly?
im sure people have had the same issues and was sorted once coded.
i might be wrong but im sure i read it somewhere.

Well Craig does this daily so he would know maybe more than me tbh, but yes coding can affect a hell of alot, what you have to realise is that when coding options on the car it can on some modules alter what pins do what, not on the rns-e as its already mapped out, but, eg. on a door module recently, coded one way then another & it changed pins from live to ground, interesting stuff, well for me it is, so coding overall is very relevant to the car & should be checked 1st before anything else

I actually noticed recently the kufatec loom for my rns was wired wrong, thus have to check the whole frigging thing now pin to pin, not a problem just a hassle, but then again its not the 1st kufatec fecking **** up which now I wont use.

Best thing is if you're not sure of your coding then post it up & then others can have a nosey at it, audiforum.us is best place for that tbh & PetrolDave is very wise on the RNS-E

Sometimes what we see in front of us we cant see the fault, another pair of eyes make a difference, trust me happens to us all

cheers NHN
i dont have the problem myself, i just thought it would be an answer for FOOLISH3UK above.

cheers for all the replies, pin 13 is around the right way, i dont have bose but have the other type of amp for standard cars. the ignition live and the permanent live is an interesting one, will try that when the new nav unit turns up! the unit does turn off when the key is removed and the can bus wires are in the correct position. i dont have a drain now that my concert 2 stereo is in the double din slot lol.

also i did forget to code the unit , hell what can i say i was well chuffed that it was all done!

Well there isn't an ignition live, only a perm live on all cars fitted with symphony/concert II.

It does sound like a bad unit now as you have checked everything.

There's normally three possible causes for this happening:

1) the amp enable wire incorrectly connected to pin B15 (permanent power) instead of pin B12 (amp enable). You would be amazed at the number of commercially made wiring adapters that have this error...

2) the RNS-E incorrectly coded so it does not see the ignition off mewssage on the CAN bus, so it stays on and flattens the battery. Usually when this happens the buttons don't illuminate when you turn on the side or head lights.

3) a faulty RNS-E.

Check the wiring of the amp enable, and get someone with VCDS (VAG-COM) to code the RNS-E (and the instruments and the phone module if you have one and the MFSW if you have one).

Haven't we covered all of these? and it is D13 which is the amp enable.

B12 is the CDC clock
That's what happens when you type from memory .... my bad.

Yes they've all been covered, but spread around the posts in this thread so I thought it might help to pull them all together.

New RNS-E unit turns up tomorrow, i got the first unit off of DJKolia on ebay. he has sold loads before, also he says this is the first time he has ever had a problem, not that he is gonna admit that he has had load of duff units lol.

will let you all know how it goes tomorrow night, i will swop the unit out tomorrow lunchtime at work! and code it etc...

foolish,
i bought from him without problems,so did the father in law, if that puts your mind at ease a bit mate.

thanks 1wheelonly however today i fitted the new unit, this time it is a 186c, my battery drain is still there even with everything all coded and adapted correctly, thried another nav unit out of one of our work used cars and it was all ok, so Another rnse unit is faulty and this one also does not read the dvd or eject it, fault in the memory is dvd drive defective! so i have emailed him saying i would like a refund and i will have to go get an aftermarket double din stereo. booooooooo!

what a shame, as factory fit nav units go they are a really nice looking adition to a center console.

Uh foolish why didnt you stick your original one in the work car & have there's, they wouldnt know, lol, then not so foolish huh

hmm lol, tbh i did think about it but there are too many video cameras watching! and you gotta remember when audi get the my one back they are going to notice that the disc in the unit is a fake and knowing my luck i would get caught out for the whole full price bill.