has the waterpump failed?

vw754

vorsprung Durch Technik
Reaction score
A4 1.9 TDI 130BHP 2001 B6.

TEMP is half way reading 90 as always.never starts to climb.
water in coolant bottle =cold even when engine hot.
took expansion (coolant bottle cap) off and left it off, incase there was air in system.....no change.

car is loosing coolant,cant see any leaks.......any ideas?

If the water pump was failing then I would have thought that the car would be overheating, I would think more likely the thermostat has gone.

if it were the thermostat,would the car be using coolant? like i t was filled to maximum level then 120 miles later (motorway journey) after an hour of resting the water level was just under minimum

exactly the same problem as I have mate, its the coolant flange behind the head that 2 pipes and the temp sensor are connected to, its a tenner from the stealers but awkward to get to. I thought it was the pump as well but have now seen the water leaking from the rear of the head and the culprit is a plastic part that cracks or just leaks at the o-ring seal, the temp sender seal, or one of the 2 pipe ends.

Mine is waiting to be picked up next fri and im going to attempt to replace it.

Heres a write up I found:

http://audizine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=84054

from the excellent audidiy.com

exactly the same problem as I have mate, its the coolant flange behind the head that 2 pipes and the temp sensor are connected to, its a tenner from the stealers but awkward to get to. I thought it was the pump as well but have now seen the water leaking from the rear of the head and the culprit is a plastic part that cracks or just leaks at the o-ring seal, the temp sender seal, or one of the 2 pipe ends.

Mine is waiting to be picked up next fri and im going to attempt to replace it.

Heres a write up I found:

http://audizine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=84054

from the excellent audidiy.com

Exactly the same prob I had also over a year ago, id have to top it up every week!

Nice one lads! its a friend car based in rochdale....any good audi mechanics in that area you know of ?