RNS-E info and upgrades?

Reaction score
I'm taking delivery of my A4 (B6) in the next week or two and I am already looking at adding a few thing :D Built in Sat Nav in particular... I've investigated a few options (Pioneer AVIC's etc), but would probably prefer to get a refurb'd RNS-E, so it links in with the rest of the equipment (MFSW, dash, etc). Are there any major drawbacks to the RNS-E? I've seen some people mentioning extra/updated software... I'm gonna Google around and see what I can find, but if people have links to any extra information on this it would be VERY much appreciated! Such as "what does the newer software give you in the way of features, etc?"

newer firmwares doesnt change much, you can install the SDS hacked firmware that when car is wired properly enables voice commands to rns & btooth module, which can be useful, rns is the best sat nav for the car given it integrates well into the car where as others it just doesnt look the same, but if you couldnt care about aesthetics then look at aftermarket with touch screens etc

But I rate the RNS-E as good tbh, www.audiforum.us is best place for rns info.

I installed RNS-e and the OEM Audi bluetooth & glovebox CD Changer - all works supurbly with the Bose amplifier system....well integrated...all I am missing is multifunction steering wheel....but that costs a bucket load so wont bother....got virtually all my bits of e-bay (german version)

Just wish the RNS-e worked on full postcode...otherwise its just great !

For Bluetooth have a look at the post :

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/showthread.php?t=66041

Got my RNS-e from this bloke on e-bay.....have had it 18 months now - no problems.....not entirely sure where he gets them from though....

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Audi-Navigati...14&_trkparms=72:1689|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1318

Cheers

Johnboy the FBMFSW is cheaper than the damn rns-e, lol, so how can that be tad rich for you, lol.

lostbok: i thought about getting the pioneer avic for my 58 plate 8P A3, but once doing research, found that it apparently take a while to boot up especially if the ipod is connected. i ended up going with the rns-e and wow, the way it just integrates with car, especially giving you the directions with the gps on the drivers DIS plus more. im not to sure on the B6 but with my car the original loom from my radio just pluged in with no need for adapters, or cutting wires. if your intrested in the rns-e, http://www.vwcruise.com/ these guys can get you a refurb and will come to you to fit it. they also have alot more like MFSW, bluetooth kits, ipod kits, cruise control. etc (many of the audi extras)

Bit off topic NHN.......whats the FB in FBMFSW? Flat Bottomed ? Why do you think they are cheaper than the RNS-e ?

There are a few B6 Audis with an MFSW. The steering wheels are sometimes on e-bay - the German e-bay seemes better for Audi A4 B6 MFSW :

http://cgi.ebay.de/Multifunktion-Led...ayphotohosting
which looks pretty well worn out to me....

A lot of folk prefer the sporty 3 spoke wheel - which do not come in MFSW guise....this wheel on the German e-bay is the 4 spoke SE version....
You will need the right slipring (schleifring) as well......then once fitted has to be VAGCOMed...
Just gets a bit expensive with the pound euro exchange rate so crap at the moment ...and the people who are selling the steering wheels certainly know how to charge for them....

These guys at http://www.vwcruise.com/ are charging just short of a grand for putting the B7 steering wheel in a B6 - forget it ...£1000 for a freakin steering wheel :no: thats a lot of beer vouchers if you ask me !

I know a little about wheel installs, lol, slip ring is dependent on current of course & also the steering wheel control module, but if you get vcds yourself anyway it pays for itself in 1st use, you could get a wheel for maybe £400 or less, genuine vcds for £230ish & maybe new parts £170-180, so potentialy save few hundred plus get full vcds for future work, 1k is rich, but check on the Bay for cheap parts & maybe get someone local to you to code for less than vcds purchase which saves you even more, I know someone up your way if you do the donkey work he'd code for you for a small cost.

I was referring to the actual wheel purchase being cheaper than rns-e, thus the rns-e has all the extra costs aswell like quadlock adaptor convertor, diversity antenna adapter maybe, gps antenna, dvd's, double din, etc etc I could go on, thus costing a fair bit anyway as the wheel would, so if you look at it like for like purchases then the Flat Bottomed MFSW is less money without additional parts, if you get me.

Pity its not a B7 as they all have same slip ring & SWCM, oh well audi for you, I noticed from elsa/etka they seem to be adopting single use item so it is just a coding change for a feature aswell as maybe an additional module as checked a module other day & was surprised to see only one available where as prior ones had about 10 different

I have been quoted £795 by the guys at http://www.vwcruise.com/ to fit a very good condition used B7 MFSW steering wheel into my B6. They sound a very professional outfit and gave a very good write up about the By7 v B6 airbag system,,,,
Still a lot of cash for a steering wheel....think I will just save up and get myself a B7 A4 sometime...like in 2 years time with all the kit in ......by the way all my second hand RNS-e and OEM bluetooth kit came to about £600 all in...which I will be taking out and fitting in my next A4.....steering wheels I feel are a little more permanent me thinks....

I saw a steering wheel sell for £270 about a month ago, good luck to anyone getting an rns-e for that price, not hope in hell

thanks guys... I'm a little alarmed at the satnav not working off full UK post codes?!? How do you specify the location then?

I'm pretty set on getting the RNS-E due to the integration with the car, but it does seem to have a few slightly dated features, I thought there were some software updates / hacks that gave you more up to date features?

I had a B7 S-Line just after they came out and I'm sure the BNS satnav did UK post code navigation?

I'm also interested in getting my mobile hooked up to the RNS-E (blue tooth or hardwired), is this easy to do or should I get VWcruise to do this too?

Do yourself if you're technically minded, have you got VCDS cause I'm restarting a thread for group buy, £228.75 if interested then do anything yourself

thanks guys... I'm a little alarmed at the satnav not working off full UK post codes?!? How do you specify the location then?
You type in the XXN N part of the post code and then select the road name (only road names in that post code area will be shown).

I thought there were some software updates / hacks that gave you more up to date features?
The only hacks that exist are to add full voice control (SDS), and to enable video while driving (VIM).

I had a B7 S-Line just after they came out and I'm sure the BNS satnav did UK post code navigation?
Nope they don't, not even the MMI in an A8 does full UK post codes.

I'm also interested in getting my mobile hooked up to the RNS-E (blue tooth or hardwired), is this easy to do or should I get VWcruise to do this too?
You can retrofit the Audi Bluetooth module.

There's loads of info about RNS-E retrofitting here http://www.audiforum.us

I cant see what all the fuss is about tbh, it only brings up as Dave says the roads within that postal code anyway so its not exactly hard or am I missing something that makes all the difference?

Cheers - I honestly did not know that putting in part of the postcode gave you all the roads in that post code.....would help if I had the user manual I s'pose...

I thought I had the pdf around somewhere, but honestly Johnboy, you dont seem to be someone who needs the emanuelle fella, its not rocket science, go play with the car a bit

NHN...its the natural male habit of being bone idle/lazy.....and I am an Avionic Systems Engineer and ex electronic hardware design engineer by trade........LOL

lmao, ye guess it is then, manual, what manual, lol

ah - okay - it's all coming back to me... yep - partial post code.... that'll do... getting it installed on Friday :D