Wheels or Tyres

Ronniebiggs

Reaction score
The other day on a back road my rear tyre blew out leaving a 4" rip in the inside tyre wall. I never hit anything just blew out. So now im in a predicament. Do I buy a new tyre which may set me back £80 for a half decent one. Or do I buy a new set of aftermarket RS6 wheels and tyres for £420

It is something I would like to do but I would have prefered to have waited until the tyres had been all worn out. But at the moment they are nearly all new.

What do I do?

Andy

I guess you are upgrading from 16 or 17" wheels to a larger size, probably 18's for that price?

My personal opinion is that for £420 the quality of wheel and budget tyre you would get isn't worth having. I think i would buy a part worn tyre as a temporary measure and then keep my eyes peeled on ebay for some OEM RS6 wheels. Thats what i would do anyway.

Don't forget when you sell your existing wheels they will be worth more if the tyres are reasonable.

I would just go for the tyre mate.

You could always buy the RS6 rims tyreless, fit two good quality tyres and chuck them on the back, then once the fronts have worn down sufficiently, move the part worn RS6's from the rear onto the front, and get two new tyres for the other two and put them on the rear.

Would mean your running odd rims for a while, but it saves "wasting" money on buying a new tyre for rims you dont want to keep, and means you wont end up with a set of ditchfinders.