JMB RetrofitsVolks Autos
    Reverse Gear

Status

Headlight bulb upgarde

Hi,

I want to upgarde my headlight bulbs but I dont want to go down the HID route. Been searching the net and I think I have narrowed it down to either osram night breakers or Philips x-treme power. Has anyone tried either of these? Any other suggestions welcome!!!!
    Cheers,

Del

A4 1.9 TDI SE Avant

2. # ADS
    ADS

Neutral

Status
    I changed mine to Philips H7 55W 'Blue Vision' bulbs. They are a massive improvement on the standard one's that were in when I bought the car!
    Last edited by Tinners; 24th January 2009 at 15:53.
    2008 A3 (8P3) 2.0 TDI (170) S Line Sportback - Lava Grey - MFSW - Parrot Bluetooth - S Line Half Black Leather - Aux In - Cruise Control - Centre Armrest - Bi Xenons.
    Mods: RNS-E. AMI with I-Pod. LED Upgrades Throughout. S3 Pedals. Debadged. Rear PDC. Non-Smokers Pack. VCDS Cable Interface. CH/LH Lights. S3 Black Optics Grille. Pressed Plates.
    Next: FBMFSW ??

Neutral

Status
    i have been told that night breakers are the best on the market by a few folk never tried them myself tho
    3.0 V6 Quattro Sport.

Neutral

Status
    Got H7 Philips x-treme power in my S4 mains and well impressed with them.

Also got H4 Philips x-treme power in wifes Jazz and they are equally impressive.

Think Autocar or Auto express did a test not so long ago and the Phillips just pipped the Osram Night Breakers...

I would go for it, got mine from http://www.carbulbs.com/product-deta...ngID=14&ID=426

Cheers
    04 Phantom Black S4 Avant, Milltek and some other bits and bobs topped off with loads o polish....

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by dantheman View Post
    Got H7 Philips x-treme power in my S4 mains and well impressed with them.

Think Autocar or Auto express did a test not so long ago and the Phillips just pipped the Osram Night Breakers...

I would go for it, got mine from http://www.carbulbs.com/product-deta...ngID=14&ID=426

Cheers
    x2

I've got them in the mains of mine and they're fantastic, match the Xenons very well.

A4 Avant S-Line quattro - Avus Silver/Silver Half Leather *240ps*346nm* - a few choice mods. Now Stared up ;-)

Reverse Gear

Status
    Thanks guys gonna go with the philips x-treme, mains and dipped
    Now just gotta fit them and looking in the haynes manual it dont look easy.....
    Cheers,

Del

A4 1.9 TDI SE Avant

Neutral

Status
    Thats what I thought too.....

Quite straight forward to be honest, just take your time!!

All I did was remove the top two torx bolts and slacken the two bottom ones, gently pull the headlight forwards to give better access.

Good luck
    04 Phantom Black S4 Avant, Milltek and some other bits and bobs topped off with loads o polish....

Reverse Gear

Status
    Thanks for the tip, just a couple of questions, did you have to have the alinement checked afterwards and did you do loosen the bolts on both sides?
    Cheers,

Del

A4 1.9 TDI SE Avant

Status

My Social Networking

Follow quattrojames On Twitter Add quattrojames on Facebook
    Yes you will need to get the alignment checked after fitting, here's a guide to removing the headlights. The two lower torx bolts be sure to just LOOSEN them, and NOT remove them.

Ingolstance Read about my A6 HERE.

1st Gear

Status
    I have Osram night breaker for dipped beam and Phillips Vision Plus for main, that works nicely. tried them the other way around as well, but that seemed to give most light. While you have the light clusters off, take the opportunity to change the orange indicators for silvered items, makes the front look much better. (Backs are easy too!)
    Fiat Stilo 2.4 Abarth 170bhp and climbing!

Reverse Gear

Status
    Well I finally got round to ordering my bulbs however I went for the osram night breakers not the philips x-treme only reason being that the night breakers were 9 per set cheaper than the philips x-treme and I did not feel that there was enough difference to warrant the extra cash .
    Ordered them form powerbulbs.com and they came the next day with free philips side light bulbs ......
    Cheers,

Del

A4 1.9 TDI SE Avant

Sparky

Status
    I have just fitted Philips x-treme today and i must say they are absolutely brilliant,they are that good that a feel i have been driving round with no lights on for the past 7months!!!
    Well recomended, the only problem i have is that i have changed lamps a few times until i have finally found the correct ones(tried to penny pinch) but as ive had to take my lights in and out a few times ive noticed tonight that i have some water on the inside of the lense on my passengers side light i cannot of got the seal on correctly last time i put the lights back in position, any suggestions as to how i can get rid of these small drops of water inside the light or will it dissapear under the heat in the light or am i stuck with it????

Status

My Social Networking

I imagine as long as the light is correctly sealed now the heat of the bulb will dry it eventually in due course. Thinking laterally you could either put the headlight in an airing cupboard overnight to dry it, or maybe put silica gel crystals in the light if you don't want to take it out the car again ...?

Sparky

Status
    James I think i have got a nice seal now although it is hard to tell,i will just leave it for the time being and see how they go hopefully the heat will burn the water off but not sure if it will turn to condensation?i will keep my eye on it

3rd Gear

Status
    It's very common, the heat from the bulbs will dry them out
    A4 Avant S-Line quattro - Avus Silver/Silver Half Leather *240ps*346nm* - a few choice mods. Now Stared up ;-)

5th Gear

Status
    Sorry to jump in on this thread, but I was looking at the side lights on the S4 last night, and thought they just look so wet and pathetic for a 344bhp car. Can I replace them with something much brighter and clearer or is it going to be a problem? Any recommendations would be much appreciated!!

Neutral

Status
    Thinking about these myself

http://www.ultraleds.co.uk/501194t10...te-p-1545.html

Need to check fitment though..??

Status

My Social Networking

Quote Originally Posted by dantheman View Post
    Thinking about these myself

http://www.ultraleds.co.uk/501194t10...te-p-1545.html

Need to check fitment though..??
    I have those and am very pleased with them. I know they will fit standard lights, but am told they will not fit OEM xenons.

5th Gear

Status
    James - i have std fit xenons. Anyone know which side light bulbs will fit?

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by dirk technic View Post
    Well I finally got round to ordering my bulbs however I went for the osram night breakers not the philips x-treme only reason being that the night breakers were 9 per set cheaper than the philips x-treme and I did not feel that there was enough difference to warrant the extra cash .
    Ordered them form powerbulbs.com and they came the next day with free philips side light bulbs ......
    Just ordered some myself, thanks

54 A4 Avant 1.9TDi SE 130 6sp, factory fitted RNS-E Sat Nav, Colour DIS, 6-disk changer, Bluetooth, rear parking sensors and ambient lighting.

Status

My Social Networking

Quote Originally Posted by JamesS4cab View Post
    James - i have std fit xenons. Anyone know which side light bulbs will fit?
    Have a read of THIS THREAD for all sorts of bulb confusion lol!

5th Gear

Status
    Cheers James.

Reverse Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Slinger View Post
    Just ordered some myself, thanks
    No worries, had mine ajusted on saturday and what a difference it makes so much easier to see new, cant believe how rubbish the standard bulbs were .
    Cheers,

Del

A4 1.9 TDI SE Avant

1st Gear

Status
    No worries, had mine ajusted on saturday and what a difference it makes so much easier to see new, cant believe how rubbish the standard bulbs were .
    The lights (or lack of) are my only criticism of the A4. I noticed immediately how bad they lit the road but decided against fitting HID's. My bulbs haven't arrived yet but will get them fitted as soon as they do. Did yours need adjusting a lot?

54 A4 Avant 1.9TDi SE 130 6sp, factory fitted RNS-E Sat Nav, Colour DIS, 6-disk changer, Bluetooth, rear parking sensors and ambient lighting.

Reverse Gear

Status
    My old man did them for me he took both lights totally out and did them took him about 20-30 mins in total. lefthand one was miles out but the righthand one was only slightly out, but I am not altogether convinced that they were lined up correctly to start with
    Have you gone for dipped and main?
    Cheers,

Del

A4 1.9 TDI SE Avant

1st Gear

Status
    My old man did them for me he took both lights totally out and did them took him about 20-30 mins in total. lefthand one was miles out but the righthand one was only slightly out, but I am not altogether convinced that they were lined up correctly to start with
    Have you gone for dipped and main?

I ordered the H7 Osram OH7NB-2 and got these free http://www.powerbulbs.com/product_detail.asp?prod=31 (dipped and main showed as the same bulb on the site )

Reverse Gear

Status
    Me too, but did not fit the free sidelights, think my dad said they did not fit, but in true father son style I was not really listening to him
    Cheers,

Del

A4 1.9 TDI SE Avant

Status

My Social Networking

I have just ordered some H11 Osram Nightbreakers for my front fogs, and doubt I will use the free sidelights either, I reckon i will pop em' in my wife's C3 lol

Status

My Social Networking

Finally got around to fitting my Nightbreakers to the front fogs. As you can see they don't quite match the HID's, but I don't mind that. I am pleased with how much brighter they are than the old bulbs though

cabriolet

Status
    quat,
    just this minute bought some H7 Philips x-treme after reading this thred, am i going to get a whiter light aswell or will it still be yellowish.
    paid 21 delivered is that good.
    LOTS DONE, LOTS SPENT !!!!

Status

My Social Networking

Quote Originally Posted by 1wheelonly View Post
    quat,
    just this minute bought some H7 Philips x-treme after reading this thred, am i going to get a whiter light aswell or will it still be yellowish.
    paid 21 delivered is that good.
    I paid 20 delivered for the H11 Nightbreakers for my fogs, so I guess that is a fair price. If I am honest I would have rather they were a bit whiter to match the HID's a bit better, as next to them they still look a bit yellow. But I didn't want to put HID's in my fogs, and think the yellow will be better in fog anyway.

I have bought bulbs from this ebayer seller in the past and have since discovered THESE H11's which are a xenon look and 4500k apparently. I have the same type of bulb, but H7's in my main beams and they match the HID's perfectly.

So for a fiver may be worth a punt if it's not too late for you!

BahnStormer

Status
    I ordered a pair of the Mitsubishi Colt "6500K" foglights (on Friday) via the link below, arrived y'day.... 7.30 in delivery.

Those sidelights are useless to me if anyone wants to pick some up in Surrey for free (Xenon sidelights are 6W and different fitment) - and I've bought some 7 (in delivery) Phlips Bluevision for mine), but I'll let you know what they're both like - can only improve the fried eggs and muddy p!ss-puddles on the ground compared to the blue-white of the proper Xenons.

I've checked with Audi - mine were factory-fit Xenon's so I'm pretty sure I won't need the free sidelights that came withthe fogs.

I'll try to remember to take before and after pics in the right order this time and save myself a lot of time (sorry in-joke).

edit: might be a couple of days - also waiting for soem Osram Nightbreakers for my main beams and gonna do them all at once.
    Last edited by BahnStormer77; 17th March 2009 at 07:35.
    LostBok/BahnStormer77
    A6 (C7) Avant 3.0TFSI, DSG, rain and light sensor pack, LED headlight pack, MMI touch, SDS high, AMI, 360deg sensors + auto-park, Dunlop SP Winter Sports / Pirelli P Zero's.

Status

My Social Networking

Quote Originally Posted by lostbok View Post
    I'll try to remember to take before and after pics in the right order this time and save myself a lot of time (sorry in-joke).

I will be interested to hear how you get on with those fog lights, did they come from the same seller?