Keep getting flat battery.Advice.

plumet

Reaction score
I have a 2003 18T sport auto.
Over the past few months it keeps getting a flat battery.I am at a loss as to why and hope someone here can assist if i give the details.
The car is only used at weekends but has always been ok starting.
When the car started getting a flat battery i changed the battery,the battery already on the car was only 14 months old and a Audi part.
With new battery fitted flat again in APX 3-4 days.
Called breakdown to jump and test and was told there was a 0.8 amp drain,which is too high.I took the car to a Audi dealer who did a over night drain test twice.both tests showed a normal drain.
I was told that the car should be used daily and that is the problem.I should start and run the car mid-week for 45mins.
I have been doing that untill mid-week it failed to start!!!
Called break down again to jump start and again they see a high drain apx 1 amp.
Booked car into Audi for drain test again.2 drain tests showed below normal drai 0.045a, I think.
They told me the drain the breakdown sees is normal.There is a drain in the system for 6-7mins at start up.
They told me that the only flagged problem is a radio problem on the A4.The radios in question have a red/orange dot somewhere,which mine did not have.
I have been told also by Audi that this is a intermitant fault and unless it occurs while they have it there is nothing they can do.
If i park that car on their forecourt i gaurentee it will be flat in under a week,surely there must be a problem to find!!!!!
Any help or ideas would be great at the moment it is really inconvient.
The breakdown guy said it is proberly the Alternator drawing back current??? but Audi dismissed this.
I have not had anything fitted to the car prior to problem.

ive heard of problems with the convenience module getting wet and causing high drains.

1A is mental, and would have the battery flat within a day.

If they suspect the radio, you could always pull the radio fuse and see how the problem changes?

i would be more inclined to believe the breakdown people rather than stealerships as they will do and say anything to get out of warranty claims, if it is a warranty claim

find a good independent in your area and get them to have a look at it (let us know where u are and there should be somebody on here who can point u in the direction of a good independent)

I am in SE London.I have tried to find a good indi with no luck.
Can you tell me what the convience module is and where.
You mention it gets wet,you saying that when i jumpped the car today there was loads of water in the battery area where the batt sits.looks like the water is not draining away.perhaps the drain hole is blocked if there is one.
If the module is suspect is there a test or can i disconnect it.

add these things together and the picture starts to make more sense...

There are two drain holes, one under the battery and one behind the servo. They clog up with silt and ***** and get blocked, causing the water to build up and leak into the cabin. The convenience module is positioned in some silly place on the B6 which means it gets wet as far as i can remember, and you get the problems as described.

Remove the battery and servo and clean the silt out the holes,pour a ton of water thru them too to wash the ***** away, then you need to see how much water is under the carpet and find/check the convenience module.

the convenience module is located under the passenger foot well carpet which will be soaking wet if you have got blocked drainage

convenience module under passenger footwell carpet.
its the thing with the audi logo on it with the red and yellow connectors plugged into it. it is contained in a (supposedly) water tight box which you will need to open by unclipping the lid.
this picture shows access with the passenger seat removed but u can get at it by peeling the carpet back from under the glove box. it makes it a little bit more awkward but saves taking the seat out!

ConvModule_800.jpg

Sorry for the delay in reply.
That makes sense.i had the battery replaced sunday at quick-fit,their hand held machine said the battery was faulty for some reason.The fitter called me out to show me there was lots of water in the battery tray area.But i have not noticed any wet in the footwell area.i will have to look.I also put a post hear about a nasty smell when the heater is on.I wonder if this is the hot air drying the possible wet carpet out.If it is the module and it is damaged are they expensive.I had a ECU go on a A4 1996 CONV and that was loads of money!!!!
I have got more help and sense from you guys rather than the main Audi dealer.

the pollen filter for the aircon/heating system is located next to the battery so if you are getting a build up of water it might be leaking into the filters casing and soaking the filter causing the stale smell

if the convenience module was faulty you would get other problems too, such as the interior lights turning on and off when a door is opened with engine running, or windows not going up/down with one touch

try pressing the front passenger footwell carpet down really hard with your fingers the foam is so thick that any water that is under it will not soak through until its about 3" deep! if any moisture is felt then it looks like your convinence unit. this is a common fault, if you have somewhere dry to leave the car pull passenger seat out dissconnect battery first lift carpet and open box you should be able to tell how bad any damage is. if the connections are green then its going to need repairing (any good auto spark can do this, its a common problem they will have done loads) if its only damp leave to dry out. also make sure the drain holes are clear in the scuttle. if water is coming in through the pollon filter itself its because the water has built up because the drains were blocked, if its the housing thats leaking i think (i might be wrong) that theres a recall and audi should fix for free

I went to the Audi main dealer to tell them quick-fit replaced the battery and that the battery area had loads of water polling there AND that i did a seach on line and found the module wet problem.
They then told me this is a common problem!!!!I have had 2 visits to them and 2 drain tests!!!!!
They said that to be fair the drain test would not show a conv module fault as the module does not function unless certain things are operated.
He told there was a recall about drain holes,did a hiostory check and told me my chasis was not included,this might be a get out. 00/03/03 A4 18T SPT.
Apart frpm the flat batt the only other fault i get is the folding door mirrors work intermitantly,they told me this is controlled my the module!!!!
It is going in tomorrow,they have told me they are going to clean out drain holes,do a drain test and a note for engineer to test module seperatly.
What would i need done to addrss smell in A/C.I do not want to get regionaires decease!

once everything is fixed you can buy an aerosol from most car accessory places or probably ebay the cleans the ac of all nasty bugs dont know what its called sorry but if they sell them they will know what it is. you start engine run to temp put ac on full and recirc then place can in footwell press top shut door and wait, entire contents are sprayed into air then recirculated through the ac cleaning it, not that expensive either

Just for a update if anyone is interested.The car went back to Audi Saturday,just picked it up,thurs morning.
They cleaned the drainage holes to release the water around battery,the something "chamber" i was told.
Did more draintests all ok.
Looked at conveince module which was "damp" in that area.the terminals were not green as they would normally expect.
They reset "CODES"??? and errors.

Now apart from the regular flat batt the only other problem i get is the folding mirrors more often than not do not fold.they tried them over the period ,all ok.

I get in the car to leave and try thr mirrors hoping not to work so i can leave switch as is and car running and go in service dept BUT they folded.
5 mins later get to rotherhithe tunnel and mirrors no work!!!!!

If the module was ok should the mirrors not work?Audi said it could be motors.WHAT BOTH SIDES!

I will give it a go and see how battery lasts.Keep you informed.

if the convenience module was damp then i would demand that they change it as audi know this is a common fault.
if it has had water inside it then it will slowly corrode and then pack up completely causing you all sorts of problems and they ain't cheap either, £200 for a new one not inc fitting and programming

Is ther a Audi help line or Customer help line to contact rather than the main dealer.
They seem to think there is nothing wrong with the car.

go back to them and tell them you are not happy that the module was wet but they didn't replace it, it is an electrical part after all. i think u just need to keep pestering them until they realise u are not stupid and u are not gonna go away until u are completely happy...****** dealers, they'd sell their own mother if it got them out of paying for something!

just booket my car for an service at audi ,they have adviced me that there is an recall on this

There are two drain holes, one under the battery and one behind the servo. the water leak into the cabin they are going to reseal

Sorry for the delay with the update but thanks to the help and advice from you guys the car is cured! (fingers crossed).

When the car last went back to main dealer the addressed the drain hole problem.The module area and carpet were wet which they dried out,somewhat.I was told the terminals were not green so the module should be ok.The battery as been fine since.door mirrors now always fold and the smell from the AC as gone.

Only through asking here did the module problem come to light.And Kwikfit seeing the pool of water when replacing my second battery in 4 weeks! This was after 2 visits to the main dealer.Have no idea when they would of found the problem.

heh, good to see we are actually of some use!

Glad its fixed mate, you are sure to find someone thats had the same problem on here.

Big up de Audi Sport forum, it am fantastik, velly boombastic, mista lover lover, A4, A4, LOL.