Farthest driven with 0 miles remaining?

Macduff

Reaction score
Coming back from Inverness today, my car clicked down to 0 miles left after 583.5 miles. I carried onto the next petrol station only to find it closed so I continued and filled up at 596.8 miles (a pretty poor 41.2 average for the tank). The car took 65.8 litres of diesel (FWD 1.9 130) so assuming I could run it dry I still had almost a gallon remaining so could possibly have done another 30-40 miles.

So, what's the furthest anyone's driven with 0 miles remaining and what's the most anyone's got into their tank without actually running out of fuel?

BTW, is it still a bitch to re-prime a diesel if you run out? I was getting a bit concerned over the last couple of miles.

Wow, brave man.

Lowest mine ever gets before refuelling is 25 mile range.

Wow, brave man.

Lowest mine ever gets before refuelling is 25 mile range.

Well, I assumed it wouldn't conk out when it reached 0 and there were very few petrol stations with decent prices. One place was charging 111.9p for diesel and being a true Scotsman I always seek out the bargain!

i don't let mine go below a range of 25-30 miles...i'm too scared about the consequences! :) although i know in the back of my mind i probably actually have at least double the range left in the tank its a different story when i'm behind the wheel thinking, **** i need some diesel!!!

:sob:88 miles coming back from wales on the M4 as my wife had my wallet and she was with her dad but mines a petrol so if i ran out i knew that they could leave the fuel station that they was at and come to me with a gallon or two!!
Was worried though!!

What year is your A4? When i worked for Audi as a tech (up until around 2005) the 1.9 TDI was very straight forward to get going once ran out of fuel, we regularly had customers with lease cars brimming them with petrol, so we had to drain the tank and lines and replace the filter, but basically you just crank the engine until it fires, the 2.5 Tdi's on the other engine were not PD and sometimes had to crack off the injectors to get them going. but if your car is newer than that then im not too sure!

I've done about 15 miles in mine with 0 on the DIS :whistle2:

I think I was pushing it a bit.......:think:

done between 20-50 miles on various vag cars so fair bit left in tank when 0

ive had 30 miles on 0 and ran out on 10 miles remaining, its a guestimate based on your last measured average mpg/ I have learned when it says 15 or less you could run out anytime.

What year is your A4? When i worked for Audi as a tech (up until around 2005) the 1.9 TDI was very straight forward to get going once ran out of fuel, we regularly had customers with lease cars brimming them with petrol, so we had to drain the tank and lines and replace the filter, but basically you just crank the engine until it fires, the 2.5 Tdi's on the other engine were not PD and sometimes had to crack off the injectors to get them going. but if your car is newer than that then im not too sure!

It's the last of the B6s i.e. a 2004/54 1.9 PD 130 but it's a 2005 model year.

ive had 30 miles on 0 and ran out on 10 miles remaining, its a guestimate based on your last measured average mpg/ I have learned when it says 15 or less you could run out anytime.

Out of interest, how much fuel did it take when you filled up after running out? Mine appeared to still have almost a gallon remaining but I'm not sure if all 70 litres are usable.

Our B5 just clicked onto 0 as we drove into the forecourt the other day, and it only took 57L of petrol. I think the B5's tank is 60 or 62L though, so 3-5L left in there.

Also got to remember that while the tank holds 60L, the lines, filter, fuelrail etc will all hold fuel, as will the filler neck when you brim the tank. So there was probably more than 3-5L left in there. Also with a diesel, because the high pressure pump is attached to the engine, you can pretty much drain the entire tank, and the lines and filter before it will die, whereas a petrol would die as soon as the fuel level in the tank dropped below the pickup on the pump, as the rail pressure would drop.

I think that TG episode when they drove those cars from france? shows just how much fuel is actually left in cars tanks when they read 0...

:sob:88 miles coming back from wales on the M4 as my wife had my wallet and she was with her dad but mines a petrol so if i ran out i knew that they could leave the fuel station that they was at and come to me with a gallon or two!!
Was worried though!!

:ohmy: Now that's brave!

Think Ive probably done 3-4 miles when mine was on 0.

If I reverse on my Slanted drive with say 30mls left on my DIS, soon as I start her up next, it literally drops to 0 (obviously because Im on a Wonky drive). I dont make habbit of driving on 0 though, thats the only time it happens...

Usually ill fill up once its the "beep" and 25mls left on the DIS!

25 miles in my A6 with it on 0. More accurate is the fuel light which comes on with 9 litres remaining. Take your average mpg and x2 theres what you have left never mind the range on the DIS. Unless you promptly start driving like hell of course....

I've managed 40 miles, but for 15 of these miles I was literally coasting.

I have done about 5 miles with 0 from a cold start i my S6... not good as in traffic the mpg is 12.8 in the book... you can actually smell fuel out the exhausts when cold...

I feel quite tame now! I thought I was pushing it as i coasted into the garage just as it clicked down to 0 miles! I think I put 61 litres into a 66 litre tank or similar so could have gone miles yet!

:anbet: @ blackcab for doing 88 miles :faint:

The petrol station's pump calibration are out they stole your money.

always fill it when the light comes on as the great heavy cab drinks it in my opinion and dont fancy pushing her anywhere.
mate of mine had a tt that ran out of fuel with still 25 miles left on the dis regularly
and it put me off letting them get to low.

always fill it when the light comes on as the great heavy cab drinks it in my opinion and dont fancy pushing her anywhere.
mate of mine had a tt that ran out of fuel with still 25 miles left on the dis regularly
and it put me off letting them get to low.

I took the chance as I've never let it get below about 40 miles before but there was usually more than 10 litres left in the tank when I filled up so I assumed there was a fair old "idiot" factor built into the remaining range

Not that brave just drove into the petrol station as it went 0. Won't like to risk it

ive coasted 30 on vapours in mi old pd130, but the beast has to be nessle'd into the nearest station ASAP lol

I rather embarrasingly ran out after about 7 miles in my 3.0 Cab. I blame TopGear for Clarkson driving miles on '0' in that big jag!! ;-)

Never let mine go past 25 miles on the DIS, too scared in case i break something...:shrug:

I went 25 miles past 0 in my B6 S4....which is a lot of fuel in an S4!

I've now got a new B8 A4 2.0t. It's only been filled up once and it's currently reading 320miles gone and 5 left on the DIS. Lets hope this ones as forgiving as the S4.

p.s. If you get more than about 1L over the max tank capacity then report the garage as they're ripping you off!!

It went to zero straight away so filled up about 7 miles later.

Travelled total of 325.1miles

fuel_before.jpg

fuel_after.jpg

After : predicted range of 405miles. I only managed to get 60 litres in. This means that that when it showed 0 miles there was at least 1 gallon in there.

Now I feel like I chickend out early :blink:

Not quite to zero, but I had been driving like a nun to the filling station. I was happily tanking up the A1 yesterday when I noticed I had a range of 25 miles left. I didn't know how far the next garage was, so I dropped to about 60mph on cruise and when filled it showed a range of 550 miles! Never going to do it!