Sky InsuranceVolks Autos

Thread: B6 Remap

1st Gear

Status

B6 Remap

Hi All,
    Has anyone had their B6 S4 remapped by MRC? If so how much difference has it made? Is it worth the money?

Thanks in advance.
    'Daytona B7 RS4 Saloon - with all the trimmings'

2. # ADS
    ADS

Valentino Rossi A.K.A The Doctor

Status
    Dont bother, just get a proper job done by REVO, the most expensive but the best, i had 2 cheaper remaps on mine and both made the car smoky and power delivery was just too harsh, the REVO however make her pull strong through the entire rev range.
    54' A4 Avant TDI130 GmBh Sport Sline-19"RS6 Alloys + SATNAV+RNS-E+ TV/D.V.D/MP3+ Colour D.I.S+ Bose Hi-Fi+Bluetooth+Heated Buffalino Leather+ Aluminium Fishscale inlays+ Xenons+ 6 disc changer+ Interior Light Pack+ Storage Pack+03'VW Bora TDI150 Sport Highline+ 05' ZX-10R Ninja

1st Gear

Status
    seems we're doing our jobs right then if you're that happy!

Status
    Definatly yes, my mate has the same car as me but he has a cheapo 250 remap on his, his car actually feels a little faster to drive but thats because him map has just loaded the turbo with boost, when the boost and all the wheelspin has gone (3k ish) it pulls no better than a standard 130... The REVO on the other hand boosts harder than standard, but seems to hold a good solid boost till 4k ish, which is far better to drive generally, and for those of you who are mechanically sympathetic as i am it is clearly obvious that a cheap map is very severe on everything including, tyres, transmission, clutch, driveshafts and the engine and turbo generally just because of the severity of the boost alone. Going back to my mate's feeling faster, if you put them head to head mine pulls away strongly from his, his is a saloon and mine's a heavy old Avant, REVO is worth the extra pennies. MPG neither improved or declined so a big thumbs up from me and my dad, who also ditched his cheapo map in favour of a REVO on A3 2.0 TDi.
    54' A4 Avant TDI130 GmBh Sport Sline-19"RS6 Alloys + SATNAV+RNS-E+ TV/D.V.D/MP3+ Colour D.I.S+ Bose Hi-Fi+Bluetooth+Heated Buffalino Leather+ Aluminium Fishscale inlays+ Xenons+ 6 disc changer+ Interior Light Pack+ Storage Pack+03'VW Bora TDI150 Sport Highline+ 05' ZX-10R Ninja

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by revo carl View Post
    seems we're doing our jobs right then if you're that happy!
    What sort of price are you looking at for a B6 S4 then?

"Stick a V8 in it!"

Status
    I wouldnt dismiss MRC like you have there. I've never heard anything bad about their work, where i have heard stories of revo maps killing turbos...

Also you have to weigh up what gains are to be had in the first instance. The B6 S4 is not a turbocharged engine, so there are no large gains to be had from a remap at all, add to this the fact that its already in a tweaked state of tune compared to the stock 4.2 V8 i dont really think the engine will have that much to give with a simple remap, which probably means its not a cost effective modification.

2000 A4 1.8T Sport Quattro Avant, Berry Pearl
    2000 A4 1.8T Sport Quattro Saloon, Black-ish
    1997 S4 - PPC £999 Challenge Track Car Build
    TD5 Land Rover Defender build

1st Gear

Status

1st Gear

Status
    Wow,
    Personally I wouldn't want anything that a dealer can install and walk away from like Revo (no offence). My B5 S4 was custom remapped by MRC and it was absolutely fantastic. Because it's not a generic chip it's bespoke to your car and not the average S4. I wasn't looking for dirt on MRC, just wanted to know what the drive was like and was the power you get worth the money.
    I'm sure Revo are OK but I had a trial chip installed before I went for my old MRC remap and it was running the car dangerously lean which in my opinion is unhealthy (blown turbo's). To just plug something in and let you drive off seems wrong to me but to have someone from MRC spend 4 hours or so in the car with you, on the road is invaluable. My opinion only.

Thanks all

1st Gear

Status
    trial is only ever a taste! it's not represantative of the full product and cannot be compared!

as for running lean, it sounds like your car wasn't set up properly or you were running a faulty sensor somewhere (i.e MAF) by the dealer! our product is tried and tested for longevity! no "custom map" is unless you let your tuner dive around in your car constantly for a couple of weeks+???????

our product is bespoke in its own right as we offer fully variable switching allowing the car to be set up to the spec of the vehicle, fuel quality and driver preference.

we've never blown a turbo or turbos and our product is tried, tested and trusted globaly by VAG tuners, dealers and lets not forget our customers!

1st Gear

Status
    Sorry Carl,
    How is your's tried and tested for longevity? Do your guys drive around in my car for weeks? I'm only talking from my personal experience and prior to your trial chip had just serviced the car and had it on VAG so nothing wrong with the car. Don't get me wrong, the car pulled very well with your chip in but I prefered having a highly experienced and world renowned technician (not sucking up but the bloke is a genius) in my car tweaking things at standstill and as I drove than a spotty 18 year old bloke from Audi installing a device he couldn't care less about. I do know loads of people who are happy with Revo but it's just not for me.

Thanks for your feedback though.

2nd Gear

Status
    Another to think about is the APR range of remaps for the V8.

I had one on my old B6 S4 much sharper car, removed the top speed limiter and upped the rev limiter. Plus you can switch the maps via the cruise control.

Any decent company will check the car and report on any issues before install.

1st Gear

Status
    it's a fair point that something else may work for yourself!

We here at REVO spend countless hours developing our software and testing it as much as possible on our own development cars hence why most of the time we're last to market with a product. we test on our cars....not our customers!!!!!!!

i'm sorry you had a bad experiance with one of our dealers but i don't feel that should in anyway be represenative of our product!

Status
    I'm not dismissing MRC, i was merely pointing out that i already tried 2 no-namers and they werent for my car, im not saying that MRC are no namers but ive never heard of them, so i bit the bullet and had the best available. Sometimes you get what you pay for. Ive never heard of MRC, maybe they do a good job i dont know, give it a try....
    Last edited by 46TheDoctor; 16th December 2008 at 18:35.

3rd Gear

Status
    Audi Driver Annual Awards 2008
    Each year, the readers of Audi Driver vote for the companies and clubs which they believe have contributed most successfully to the world of Audi motoring.

Tuner of the Year

Gold award: Custom Code

Gold award: MRC Tuning
    Silver award: Dialynx Performance
    Silver award: QST
    Silver award: Star Performance
    A4 Avant S-Line quattro - Avus Silver/Silver Half Leather *240ps*346nm* - a few choice mods. Now Stared up ;-)

1st Gear

Status
    Bubstar,
    Puts it in perspective I think when apart from MRC none of the other tuners mentioned on this thread are on this list. Also is QST the same as Kim Collins? If so I think Minhea at MRC does his tuning on Porsche & VAG.
    Personally I'd rather have a remap done on my own car than 'a development car' as no two cars are the same and that way the remap so my exact vehicle and driving style.

5th Gear

Status
    I mate of mine had his B7 RS4 remapped at a Revo centre yesterday. We went out in it last night and the change is awesome. Free revving right the way through the range, 8.5 rev limit, and he is totally made up.

He also had a full Milltek fitted at the same time.....

If your stuck for advice call Paul or Neil at APD just outside Bournemouth - 01202 621761. They do all the work on my car and its always A1.

Dan
    it's good to torque

Status
    just to add my opinion, I 've got a B6 S4 and had a revo done, love it. pulls smoother than it did before, and seems too pull for longer too.

not the massive power increase that you see with the extra boost on the old turbo models obviously.

I went for the optional plug in thing that allows me to change the program, it'll store 4 i think pre-programed in it. but there some software that'll allow you to change those 4 if you want.
    so you can have one for 95 unleaded, one for 97 unleaded or back to stock etc....

by going for a bigger name you're not tied to just one guy at one dealer too..
    S4 B6 - Miltek backbox, Revo and a big grin.

Rock music is the only music.

V8 + V2 = Vfun

1st Gear

Status
    Thanks Dan,
    Have you had it on the roling road anywhere? Do you know what power you're pushing out?

Dan
    it's good to torque

Status
    no, not bothered. the power delivery feels much better, that was more important than a number for me...
    i get more miles out of a tank if i go easy now, and i have more power if nail it around. also complements the miltek quite well..

good luck whith whatever you choose anyway..
    S4 B6 - Miltek backbox, Revo and a big grin.

Rock music is the only music.

V8 + V2 = Vfun