Heated Mirror how do I fix ?

ang12el

Reaction score
Looks like the offside mirror is not defrosting. How do I check what the problem is ? What are the most common faults on these and is or can it be expensive to repair?

Your input is appreciated:salute:

check the fuses at the rhs of the dash, the element is a flat plate behind the mirror glass, could be the wiring as it passes thru the door or a connector in the mirror, especially if your fav car wash slaps it into the park position like one I used to use....

I think the glass is held in by a plastic ball joint, you have to unscrew the bottom black cover off the mirror and pop the ball joint without breaking the glass to reveal the element.

Probably the heating element has broken. If you can get the mirror glass off, which involves a fair bit of luck, put a multimeter to the connectors and check for voltage. Replacement mirror glasses with the heaters are only about £22 from Audi

....or you could just be lucky like me and find its just a rusty connecter!

....then turns to unlucky at the same time and break the ****** flimsy Mirrors.
I managed to crack both whilst changing my mirror caps (when they were Matt colour) and Stealers wanted £58 for both at the time which I found expensive...so I quickly slipped into "tight" mode (again) and bought 2 Exact same sized mirrors from halfords which were stick on and stuck them over the top of the cracked ones. On a Plus side, the heated facility still works! Bonus :haha:
I was going to change them for originals off fleebay but why fix it if it was broke before but now aint!:blink:

Just be very careful when you prise them off, very easy to crack!!!