Tails lights turn on unexpectedly....draining battery

ward0166

Reaction score
I have a 2004 A4 Cabriolet that has tail light issues. I can park the car, turn the lights off, and walk away, but the tails lights may turn on in my absense draining the battery. The center brake light does not turn on, so I have ruled out the brakelight switch. Does anyone have any ideas as to what may be causing this problem?

its a weird one, just a guess but could be the convenience module under the passenger seat or the lighting switch itself?

question, is it both tail lights or just one? No sidelights at the front when this happens?

The reason I asked about this, is when you park an audi, if you leave the indicator stalk clicked one way or the other, the parking (tail & side) lights will illuminate when you switch off, leaving a tail and sidelight on continually, unless you click the indicator stalk off...........

Both tail lights come on. Also, my wife said that the front fog lights were on when it happened to her. I didn't notice fog lights being on when it happened to me. Of course, the repair shop cannot recreate the problem........

Could be the brake light switch on the pedal playing up.

I second that. You'd be surprised the odd behaviour that little switch can cause!

As has also been stated, check the light switch and convenience module. I assume your garage have scanned for error codes???

i actually just started having this same problem, originally thought it might have had something to do with my trunk latch not working properly but i took it to audi and had that fixed and they didn't find any issues with my tail lights...last night the lights cut on yet again and this morning i have a dead battery.

for me, none of the front lights turn on at all when this problem occurs, it is just the outward brake lights. I'm not too car savvy so could someone explain where and how to check the convenience module and light switch?

i just returned from the audi dealer and had my brake light switch replaced...hoping for good results...ill let you know how it turns out

I had the brakelight switch replaced..... the lights came on again last night. I think we can definitely rule out the brakelight switch, now. Any other ideas???

the main lighting switch that you put the main and fogs on with, I reckon its collapsed inside. My mk1 golf used to start by itself as the ignition switch collapsed inside and the car would crank and start with the keys in my pocket lol

well its been almost a week and im no longer having problems...all they switched for me was the brake light switch.

maybe its your convenience module? not sure what else it could be as my problem seems to be fixed now (knock on wood)

Convenience module doesn't touch the brake light circuits, so if its the brake lamps that are coming on its not that.

The main lighting switch doesn't discriminate front/rear outputs, so again, if the fronts aren't coming on, its not that.

You need to find out whether its the brake or side circuits that go live, take a multimeter to it next time they come on and see which it is?