What MODS?

Ronniebiggs

Reaction score
Please could someone fire a few easy MODS for some extra BHP my way. With prices and maybe links if possible.

Open to all suggestions. My car is 150bhp 1.8T.

Thanks
Andy

Andy the quickest way to bhp is through a remap mate. It will cost around £300 to £500 depending on where you go, and should push your motor safely to 190bhp.

Other mods of any kind you can do yourself will never come close to the extra 40bhp you get from a remap. Beyond that its bigger injectors and / or BT (big turbo) upgrade, intercooler etc.

Air filters & exhausts only liberate a small amount of extra HP and in some cases, some give none or even less HP than the factory ones.

Best deal I reckon then is to shop around for a reliable remapper round your way.

Yep remap and exhaust, maybe change your Diverter valve and N75 valve too.
I used a K&N induction for a year but got sick of the dumpage sound so gone back to standard Panel filter and never though Id say it but it drives just that little bit smoother and no annoying Noises.

Going to upgrade to a nice Panel filter I reckon.

Remap you loking at £300ish (or you can get a standard from someone who's been doing it on the side for £200 - Make sure they are known though)
Exhaust - depending what you want but anywhere in between £280 - £600 (thats from custom to miltek)
Diverter valve - £100ish Brandnew (hyperboost or baileys id say, forge are good too)
N75valve - £40
Induction - £70odd.

Big money if you want to go BT - Take your up to around 290+bhp = £4500 - £6000. (can get it cheaper with some digging around but you need to know the reputation of these guys before you let them play around)

If you want to do it cheaper then its a K04 turbo upgrade with injectors etc and you'll be looking at around £1200+ all depending on your mechanic or mostly DIY...

i wouldnt spend £100 on a diverter valve, just buy a Bosch 710N new from audi for 20 quid. Do just the same job and a saving of 80quid.

i wouldnt spend £100 on a diverter valve, just buy a Bosch 710N new from audi for 20 quid. Do just the same job and a saving of 80quid.
I changed from an uprated 710N valve to a hyperboost and its much better.
710's eventually get weak regardless what they say about the revised one.
Ive tried 3 710 valve and they all the same.

If they can last years in an S3 then i'm quite happy to fit them to my engine tbh. Even if it did "go weak", you cant assume the hyperboost one would never "go weak" and you'd have to buy 5 replacement 710N's before you've made it worthwhile buying a more expensive DV

Can you explain to me what you mean by weak? The common fault with the 710 DV's is the diaphram splits, but they last many years before that happens, and the 710N is the strongest of the lot so should last a bit longer still. Surely the dump valve either works, or leaks, theres no inbetween where it works -ish?

Yeah buy 5 and then buy an ally one, just mean you spending money for nowt.after the first trial and error, I tried 2nd one....again felt lacking so instead of buying 3 more I bought the ally one.
Im not sayin the Hyrperboost will never go weak, Im saying that Ive tried 2 new versions of the 710 valve (revised) and they both eventually went weak as in when I took it off and tested, it didnt feel as stiff as it was before few months. I blew in to the first one with other exits covered tight and I managed to open it up so thats why I never bothered with them again, I decided on a Hyper and will never look back.

I wouldnt want to fart about changing the valve 5 times, Id rather just get the Ally one.

Same over on Audizine and Vw forum, they have had same issues as me and many others, they eventually get weak regardless and YES so do others but my Hyper has lasted nearly a year now with no issues, No losing boost etc.

At the end of the day If you want to fit Bosch then hey no probs, I simply put forward to the guy the mods he asked about and my opinions.

...And there is an in between, your valve getting weak will result into not holding the pressure till it eventually gives way resulting into your car not feeling as responsive as first fitted.

you cant just blow into the boost side of the valve and expect it to stay closed...

the valve works by having boost delivered to one side of the diaphram from the T on the main air intake and boost delivered to the other side of the diaphram by the vacuum line connected to the inlet manifold. The spring is there to hold the valve closed against any slight differences in pressure between the two sides. When you shut the throttle the pressure difference thats now present makes the valve open.

If the spring was too stiff, the valve would then not open correctly when the boost levels were low. The OE B6 valve's spring will have been specced to provide the best performance at standard boost pressure. The S3 valve is clearly designed to handle more boost, and is therefore a better choice in a tuned engine.

If you disconnected the vac line and drove around, the valve would most likely leak, as the spring alone isnt designed to keep the valve closed, just like it did when you applied pressure to it off the car...

Also you dont say wether you tried a 710N - ie the valve from the TT225/S3 or a revised 710 from the B6 A4 as they are different chaps...

I dont think i've personally read anything about the 710N's being bad, and i've read plenty of recommendations for them.

...and I wouldnt expect it to move from just a short breath either.
Ive tried the one from the TT (vagparts) and it was the same.
Like I say Ive not had any issues with my Hyper so thats why I recommended it!
Soon as I fitted the Hyper, I noticed a better drive straight the way.
So after the recommendations of the 710N it was ok for few months but you just know when your car aint running right.soon as I changed, I was happy!!!
Each to their own and all that. You prefer the Bosch, I prefer the hyper!

Getting it chipped tomorrow I believe. Whats this dump valve you are all on about?

I always used to have the noisey atmospheric DV. Thought it was the standard thing that you had to have one if you had a turbo:fart:. Are you saying you get better performance by changing the std DV to the one you mention below. Think I would go for the cheaper one if I have a choice. Whats the benifits?

Anyone got decat pipes on there cars?

Again is it worth it and which one does everyone get.

Thanks Andy

lol j7uss, im going back to the panel filter too, I like the growl from the induction but that DV sound is just ****** annoying after a while eh? Maybe i am getting old after all....

Andy, the standard DV type makes no sound unless you have a cone filter etc, the 1.8T needs a recirc DV and not an atmospheric dump valve like you would see on other turbos, the DV dumps into the intake after the maf so the ecu expects the same air mass to be present and will throw a fit if you use a VTA DV.

Read the reviews by owners on the various DV's, search google, someone did test a pile of different ones on one of the forums like fourtitude or tyresmoke or summat, not sure which one but they gave a good write up. Some old names like bailey didnt get a great review on audi's, while the one j7uss has was well liked I recollect. I thought about getting a hyperboost since it appears to give a smoother boost response than the factory one according to others, but never tried any yet.

Anyhoo, if you keep a panel filter and have a recirc DV then you wont hear a thing so its down to boost holding abilities, response and longevity I suppose.

The decat pipe for the 1.8T is called a testpipe and available from the USA, but needs changing back to the oem cat for each mot and some have issues with fouling or summat with the lambda sensor and there are ways round it, it is reckoned that the turbo hot wheel is more of a resistance than any cat and the factory cat isnt that restrictive at all....just what ive read on the yank forums where they love to de-cat. You can get sports cats too....shop around on the various tuning parts suppliers online.

The engine already has a dump valve fitted, it just vents back to the inlet rather than to atmosphere. The ones mentioned (710N and hyperboost etc) are upgrades to this standard part, to help it handle the greater boost pressures present once you've remapped the car.

I've recently refitted a Cat to my car (B5 A4 1.8T) for its MOT. I hadnt realised the cat that was on there had been gutted (and hence was acting like a decat) i just assumed it was dead and replaced it for its MOT. I did notice a definite drop in power though after fitting it, especially further up the rev range. Everything seems to get a bit flat now after 5k whereas before it seemed to pull a little harder.

I'm sure there are UK suppliers that will sell you a decat pipe, instead of having to ship from the USA.

james0808: from the power figures i suspect it will be running around 15psi compared with the 8psi the 150hp engine produces.

Thanks everyone. I appreciate the help and advice.

Car is remapped now and feels like a different car. Will consider a DV

Andy

186bhp - how does it drive, worth the money?
thinking of getting mine done over the next few weeks as there is a couple of places near me in bournemouth that will do it for around the £295 mark.

they are suggesting my car will get to just under 200bhp?

Without sounding like a stereotype. It is a different car. Before the car was smooth and the acceleration was very even like a normally asperated car. You couldnt really hear the turbo unless you really concentrated and you couldnt feel it off the mark. The only time you noticed it was when you where sat at say 60mph and you put your foot down and you could feel the smoothness of the turbo.

Now when you accelerate off the mark you feel the instant pull of the turbo as it pins you slightly in the seat. The acceleration is no more even as to speak it starts easy then get more progressive as you put accelerator on as a turbo is supposed to be. It feels so much more responsive and the turbo is now more audible. I can hear it dumping back into the intake.

Im used to Imprezza WRX style power and this car still isnt a WRX but to be honest im not expecting it to be. But at least now its chipped it acts like a turbo. If yours is a 150 like mine was then 186 is the claimed amount.

If its a 163 then you get 32 more so that would be 195. If its a 190 then you get 20 more so 210bhp. These are superchip quotes. I know individual tuners can tweek cars so they have more top end, or lower revs etc as you require so 200 would be easily acheiveable. Mine was £585 including VAT but as I said I got it done for free as I was miss sold the car. Also this way you pay the lower tax band :blush:

Lower tax band - what after the remap? Or because your car is the 150 model?

Anyway, thanks for the info and writeup! I'm now going to go for it.. My car V5 states it is a 163bhp Sport model. However, I did read somewhere it is a myth - and they all produce 150bhp?

Anyhow, I have been quoted £295 to achieve just under 200bhp by my local tuners called kartech in Poole, Dorset. Anyone used them?

What panel filters should I be looking at? K&N do a few in Halfords etc. 57i i think they are called - any good?

Am I right in thinking I will have to upgrade my DV valve after the remap? Can anyone point me in the direction of which one to purchase? Its nice to have a little noise - but nothing chav!

thats a myth about them all producing 150 mate, if its a 163 on the v5 and on the kw rating plate (120kW) then it is a 163, if not, then its not. You do get only 150's up till 2002 then it was upped to 163, and you get a 190 in the a4 and a 225 in the TT, all 1.8T's with different turbo / injectors / software.

Blast!
Mine says 163 but 110kw on my Service book!:shrug:

Anyhow, I have been quoted £295 to achieve just under 200bhp by my local tuners called kartech in Poole, Dorset. Anyone used them?

Never used them, but they "Look" a very professional set-up, I would be interested on your findings if you try them.

EDIT: Did you mean Kartechnics on the Nuffield estate in Poole? Or am I getting my wires crossed?

Never used them, but they "Look" a very professional set-up, I would be interested on your findings if you try them.

EDIT: Did you mean Kartechnics on the Nuffield estate in Poole? Or am I getting my wires crossed?

Yep sorry, Kartechnics! Perhaps they would do a deal for two?

Can someone tell me. Is the 1.8T badge red for the 190 bhp version on an A4 (I mean the leter T)?

Did they do a 190 on a late 2002 plate?

As mine is theoretically a 190 now I was going to get the Red T badge to keep the job right:wacko:.

Answerring my previous post. A 190 bhp comes under a higher tax band. If you go to parkers.co.uk and look at the tax rating for a 150, 163, and 190 the 190 is going up to £310 in 2010. The 150 sneeks upto about £270 ish the quattro is £430 for a 190bhp

What does a S-line car have that a A4 Sport doesnt? Could you make a sport into an S-line? does it have S-line wrote on the Car documents?

Andy

My point exactly.. My V5 says 163, however my service book sticker says 110KW.... ?

Probably caused by the original registering dealership putting 163 on the V5 application when asked for the model.

The VIN plate attached to the car shows the true value as shipped from the factory, mine says 120kW as does the service book and delivery sheet. The V5 also says 163.

lol j7uss, im going back to the panel filter too, I like the growl from the induction but that DV sound is just ****** annoying after a while eh? Maybe i am getting old after all.....

Would anyone fancy selling my their old induction kit - I fancy a change, although suspect after time I will also go back to a standard panel filter..

Also, what gains can be made by larger injecters onto a 150bhp car and what kind of costs are we talking about? I was going to sell my car but I'm now thinking I should enjoy some more trouble free motoring and treat myself to a few extra toys to get me excited about it again..

So, I'm thinking Remap by my local Revo, induction kit, new DV and some injectors.. Would that get things going guys?

I got rid of my induction else you could have had that mate!

Just a Remap alone will bring back the Love:wub: for your motor and if you do go own the injector route with the other little mods you mentioned should feed you some more Love:sex:...

Ive been looking around the megane Cup Sports 225's, I fancy some Fling about Fun, cheap price too!:eyebrows:

Will a panel filter change the sound at all? If so, what make?
As you say a remap will do the job, however I'm just thinking that I should have bought a quattro.. All this extra bhp may just cause me wheel-spin..

Whats involved in upgrading the injectors?

I will be going down the induction filter root as well. Its alittle too quite for me to be honest I need a little more grrrrrr:jump:.

I have a old universal cone filter I plan on trying to install. Only problem I can see is how to make it fit the part of the airflow meter thats a molded shape. Its not the easiest thing to make a filter clamp onto to.

One thing I would like to know as well is where the hell is the dump valve?

I have a new forge dump valve to fit and cant locate it!!

I think it could be at the bottom just above the splash plate of the engine bay. But to be honest Im not certain at all.

Wil be doing a search after this post for installation pics. If there isnt any I would appreciate any help in this matter. Either pics or a description as to where to find the dump valve.

Andy

The Valve is on the drivers side down below, easy option is to go from underneath, take the tray off and you cant miss it.

If you look on Ebay you can buy adapters for your filter, I like the sound of the Sponge filters, they aint too loud like the K&Ns but I just chose to go back to panel as the Diverter valve with the induction was gving me the atmospheric whooosh sound and it just dont go with the Audi.....people expect a Fiesta Turbo or something then they see the B6 :think: Chavtastic!!!!

Mine got louder though for some reason!!

A panel filter can change the tone a little but you probably would notice. I used to use ITG panel filters on my Scoobys, couldnt fault them. I just kept my original in my Audi and must say since changing, it feels loads better. Maybe the SOund of the K&N was making me feel like it was running rougher = Head doer!!!!!

Thanks J7USS will have a look. Got to say now I changed the DV. I cant hear it at all!!

Is that normal? I put it on so the side was in the bottom pipe and the bottom (The end opposite to the thinnest pipe end) is into the side with the thin pipe attached the the obvious end. Im sure this is the way it came off and im sure if it wasnt correct my ECU light would have come on. Just seems so strange that I cant hear any noise at all now.

I fitted a forge DV
Andy