312mm Brake Disk Upgrade

coyote

Reaction score
Anyone fancy a front 312mm brake disk upgrade?:yahoo:All you require for the upgrade is the carriers, 312mm brake disks and pads.

I have a pair of used carriers that I dont need anymore and I want £60 delivered for them

The carriers are £97.84 +vat plus delivery from Vagparts

I can get some pics up tonight. Carriers are perfect but dirty - they were on my car until Saturday.

Potentially silly question, if they fitted, and worked why take them off? Did you revert back to stock, or go bigger?

What carriers are they? What have you upgraded to now? Do you know how much the discs and pads cost in this size?

Potentially silly question, if they fitted, and worked why take them off? Did you revert back to stock, or go bigger?

Well I screwed up! I didn't realise that I already had the bigger discs on my car and bought new carriers and painted them ready to go on. I couldn't send them back to Vagparts. LOL :haha:

I always thought my brakes were so *****. After changing the disks, pads and fluid its stopping much better than it has in the year i've had the car and i've only been bedding them in for just over 100 miles. The fluid was filthy and my A4 has full Audi service history???

What carriers are they? What have you upgraded to now? Do you know how much the discs and pads cost in this size?

They are caliper carriers for a 3.0 A4 but will fit on all with smaller engines.

Discs and pads are from £100 upwards

Marc1 - online front vented 312mm discs and pads will cost about £130ish for half decent ones. I've got a quote for 312mm vented discs & pads (front) and solid discs and pads for the rear for £195 - not bad I thought.

Marc1 - online front vented 312mm discs and pads will cost about £130ish for half decent ones. I've got a quote for 312mm vented discs & pads (front) and solid discs and pads for the rear for £195 - not bad I thought.

That doesn't sound too bad really. D you have a link?

Marc1 - online front vented 312mm discs and pads will cost about £130ish for half decent ones.

You could get a full front B5 S4 brake set up for less which are loads better than crappy 312mm.

Marc1 - James0808 is probably right about the b5 setup, but then again, if you've already got 312mm brakes like me, and don't have the money, or the time, or the patience to search for an upgrade like me, then the price quoted by www.brakeparts.co.uk was good. A word of advice, phone them and talk through your pad options, they'll give you a choice that is much wider than advertised on the site. HTH

So, on my 1.8T se from 2001, I'd expect 288mm discs and associated pads?

Is there anyway to know without wiping the discs off to measure them?

Is this B5 upgrade worthwhile?

Andymac - Yeah the B5 Upgrade is worth it iff you have the 288mm discs, The braking is so much sharper.
Or go for the B6 S4 upgrade to 345mm discs..

And what do these two upgrade routes involve?

I'm reasonably handy with a spanner, but I'm not a fan of opening braking systems! I'm guessing keep the caliper, add a different carrier and whack on different discs?

I need a better understanding of these mods before I go down any route. Also won't my diddy little 16" wheels cause problems with added diameter of bigger discs?

B5 S4s I aint sure about but I think it 17" alloy minimum
B6 S4s are 18" minimum.

B5 fit stright on providing you get the whole lot with the brakes, ie Carriers.
Same as B6 aswell.
Simple job and I aint no wizard when it comes to mechanics but ill be having a go. Ive done it before on my couple of my old scoobys.

I laid my hands on a full set of Brembo 996 Brakes but the carriers were so hard to get hold of so I gave them back to the guy. I missed out on 2 sets of B6 s4 brakes whilst Farting about looking for the carriers for the brembos aswell, Gutted because now I cant find any and the ones i do find they are wanting for silly money!

Im sure james can put you right on the B5 fitment as he had them on his old Tdi (which Rocko has now)...

I have the B6 S4 brakes, 345mm, they are absolutely mint, they took about 1000 to 1500 miles to fully bed in but boy do they work, far superior to the old 288mm disc

your brakes should not take 1000miles to bed in unless your using second hand parts. With new disks and pads the best method is to take the car out find some quiet road and get it upto about 60mph and brake to about 5 mph, repeat this 10 times, starting with firm and steadily getting harder with the 10th one being a full on stop the car as fast as possible style braking effort.

Do NOT stop the car or come to a complete halt during this process and once you've completed all 10 runs take the car for a long drive to let them cool off again. Stopping the car with your foot on the pedal when the brakes are that hot will transfer pad material to the disk which will cause "warping". You can see this happening if you look at your disks and see outlines of your brake pads burned into them.

re the 16's with 312mm brakes....

My B6 2.5TDI Quattro Sport is still stock: 312mm front discs and 16" alloys as standard, so if you're jsut going for higher spec OEM parts with OEM wheels you should be fine.

HOWEVER - if you're going for an upgrade kit, 16" may not work: I know that the 305mm Brembo GT kit for the Mk3 Golf (with big fat 6pot calipers) only fits on a very limited number of 16" wheels and even then with a few mm to spare!

I know this is an old post but.. do you still have the carriers? Will they fit a B5? (eg instead of TT carrier).. Thanks

Can't help on carriers as I had them, but it is well worth doing, they pop up on E-Bay every now and again, about £50-£60 secures a set. Don't know which model, but some VWs have the same bit, as do seats and Audi TTs