AH FabricationsVolks Autos
    2nd Gear

Status

secondary air injection unit

hi guys, right, i've got this nigglin prob with my a4, and i've been told its caused by a faulty secondary air injection unit, and it causes the cooling fan to run all the time from turning on the ignition till i turn it off, it causes the car to run cold all the time and its as thirsty as anything!! just wonderin if anyone else has had a problem like this and whether that was found to be the fault or something else, i've also been told that there is a vauxhall unit which is exactly the same as the audi one but just a hell of a lot cheaper but the lad who told me wasnt sure of what model it came from. dont suppose there are any audi tech heads out there or someone who works in their parts departments!? any help would be great. cheers.

pete

2. # ADS
    ADS

On my 3rd A4! RS4 next???

Status
    Hi Pete,

What engine have you got? Can you hear the air injector? I used to own a Vectra Gsi and you could hear it quite a lot!

Cheers Chris

2nd Gear

Status
    its the 1.8t engine chris, u cant really hear anything over the fans, how flippin' loud?!?!?

Space Cowboy

Status
    try disconnecting your battery for the customary 10 minutes and reset the ecu, see if that makes a difference?

Think of how many times you have to reboot the pc lol cos it starts acting wacky, the ecu is just a computer too.
    B4 TDI - old skool project / daily driver...if it ain't broke, it's probably an Audi...

Status
    The engine temp is regulated by the thermostat that opens and closes the flow to the radiator. Yours could stuck open, that would account for the cold engine. The fan running is something else.
    The air injectors on a vauxhall pump air into the exhaust in front of the cat to warm it quickly, that operation wouldn't affect engine temp.

Think its a process of elimination!

Cheers Chris

2nd Gear

Status
    cheers lads, il have a go, wont resettin the ecu lose radio codes and all that tho??

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by howdy quattro View Post
    cheers lads, il have a go, wont resettin the ecu lose radio codes and all that tho??
    Disconnecting my battery didn't affect my Concert radio - didn't realise they were coded!

Chris