secondary air injection unit

howdy quattro

Reaction score
hi guys, right, i've got this nigglin prob with my a4, and i've been told its caused by a faulty secondary air injection unit, and it causes the cooling fan to run all the time from turning on the ignition till i turn it off, it causes the car to run cold all the time and its as thirsty as anything!! just wonderin if anyone else has had a problem like this and whether that was found to be the fault or something else, i've also been told that there is a vauxhall unit which is exactly the same as the audi one but just a hell of a lot cheaper but the lad who told me wasnt sure of what model it came from. dont suppose there are any audi tech heads out there or someone who works in their parts departments!? any help would be great. cheers.

pete

Hi Pete,

What engine have you got? Can you hear the air injector? I used to own a Vectra Gsi and you could hear it quite a lot!

Cheers Chris

its the 1.8t engine chris, u cant really hear anything over the fans, how flippin' loud?!?!?

try disconnecting your battery for the customary 10 minutes and reset the ecu, see if that makes a difference?

Think of how many times you have to reboot the pc lol cos it starts acting wacky, the ecu is just a computer too.

The engine temp is regulated by the thermostat that opens and closes the flow to the radiator. Yours could stuck open, that would account for the cold engine. The fan running is something else.
The air injectors on a vauxhall pump air into the exhaust in front of the cat to warm it quickly, that operation wouldn't affect engine temp.

Think its a process of elimination!

Cheers Chris