How do i change my thermostat ??

markyc100

Reaction score
Hi how do i change my thermostat on my 2001 Audi A4 1.8t Quattro. Any advice or links on how to do so would be graefully apreciated.:w00t:

the manual tells you to dismantle half the engine! However when i did mine i found its reasonably easy to get the stat out of the pump housing without removing the pump itself, its just a little tricky getting it all to go back in.

a stat with a new O ring may help there, i had to reuse the old one.

Basically you unbolt the pipe the lower rad hose connects to and the stat is nestled behind it.

Hi has anyone got a step by step guide to removing thermostat ? Also engine management light comes on displaying a problem with the cooling, the temp guage stays at 50 and the car runs rough. Any help is appreciated.

Cheers:banghead:

How did you get on??? Tackled this myself yesterday, what a job! Fiddley but got there in the end. Make sure you order 2 clips. I had to leave the car with all the pipes hanging off and not drive the car until the next morning. I dropped the clip and it fell between the engine somewhere and could'nt find it!!!

Hi how do i change my thermostat on my 2001 Audi A4 1.8t Quattro. Any advice or links on how to do so would be graefully apreciated.:w00t:
How did you get on??? Tackled this myself yesterday, what a job! Fiddley but got there in the end. Make sure you order 2 clips. I had to leave the car with all the pipes hanging off and not drive the car until the next morning. I dropped the clip and it fell between the engine somewhere and could'nt find it!!!

Hi has anyone got a step by step guide to removing thermostat ? Also engine management light comes on displaying a problem with the cooling, the temp guage stays at 50 and the car runs rough. Any help is appreciated.

Cheers:banghead:

My car has exactly the same problem! Engine management light is on and my temperature guage is not raising above 50c! Also the engine fan seems to be running most of the time!

My thermostat is being changed tomorrow evening - I'll keep you posted on the result. Out of interest my mechnic mate who is fitting it said the thermostat came with all the housing and pump at a cost of £50 from Audi!

The management light and broken temp guage is probably more likely to be the Coolant Temp Sensor than the thermostat, and thats much easier to change too!

Replaced my coolant temp sensor on my 2001 A4 1.8t and car is no different, i had a look at the housing where the thermostat is and where the sensor is housed the plastic has broke off that holds it in place so it's not secure, could this be causing it, any idea how much a new thermostat housing is, and is the sensor built in ??

there are 2 sensors, one is tucked down behind the back of the head and plugs directly into it.....

Changed my thermostat last night and all is fixed. The running temperature is now back to the usual 90c and the fan has stopped going crazy! Not to mention the engine management light!

Happy days!

The thermostat had a small bit of plastic broken in side when ment it was basically stuck open the whole time!