AH FabricationsSky Insurance
    BLP
    Neutral

Status

Need help choosing motor... ?

Hi All,

Had a B5 2.6Q for the past two years, but have now decided to buy a B6, am very unsure as to what spec is best, I want something on the performance front that I can play about with (slightly!) but cant really afford the S4, but at the same time I do 35k miles a year?? I guess the 1.8T is easily tuned, but there seems to be a lot of different specs about for the B6, any advice or BHP detail for the different engines would be a great help in me choosing,

Cheers

Ben.

2. # ADS
    ADS

1st Gear

Status
    1.8T B6 are available in 150, 163 and 190 BHP depending on age. All can be remapped to around + 45 BHP for around 300.

As for spec Sport has lower harded suspension and sports seats. SE is for comfort. Audi offers lots of optional extras so all that are for sale will be different so work out what you want before you go looking.

2004 S-line models have just about every extra you would want but sell for a premium

cabriolet

Status
    BLP
    would you be better off with a diesel considering the mileage you cover.
    still very quick and easily tuned.
    most things are easily retro fitted if you cant get everything you want.
    LOTS DONE, LOTS SPENT !!!!

Shuddup Foooool!!

Status
    yeah as 1wheel said, with that sort of mileage a year id be looking at getting a 2.5tdi quattro sport....simple remap = Job done!!!!

5th Gear

Status
    I would reccomend an already mapped 2003 S4,,, you could then enjoy every one of those 35,000 Miles.....!!
    In my personal opinion

BLP
    Neutral

Status
    Thanks for the responses guys, yeah a diesel does make sense I am just not sure it will quite offer the fun I want in it, the engines have come a long way I know, whats the BHP on a 2.5 TDI ?

"Just Plain Old: I would reccomend an already mapped 2003 S4,,, you could then enjoy every one of those 35,000 Miles.....!!

Dont wind me up with S4 comments Im not sure I can afford one, nor will my accountant approve...

BLP

6th Gear

Status
    Whats the difference in mpg from a 2.5tdi to a 1.8t?

1st Gear

Status
    Well BLP if you do decide on a 1.8T check mine in the classified section. It's the 190 sport. It's got full leather and looks like an S4. the performance is good it does 32+ mpg and won't cost 400+ tax a year like the S4. I've got it on for 6950 but will negotiate on that if interested.

BLP
    Neutral

Status
    " Well BLP if you do decide on a 1.8T check mine in the classified section. It's the 190 sport. It's got full leather and looks like an S4. the performance is good it does 32+ mpg and won't cost 400+ tax a year like the S4. I've got it on for 6950 but will negotiate on that if interested. "

Awesome - Loving it, three questions:

1. How come your selling such a lovely car for quick sale?
    2. How many miles she done?
    3. Do you reacon it will still be around after christmas? (unfortunatly cant look to buy until then as christmas can be a rough time for my business, :0(

BLP

4th Gear

Status
    James808 - my 2.5TDi Quattro Sport Avant does around 35mpg around towns and I get around 40 mpg on a run.....my wife eeks out 42mpg on a run...

I have heard that if you have a heavy right foot, the 1.8T Quattro will only do low 20's
    A4 2.5 Tdi Avant Quattro Sport : 180HP 6 speed, Mauritius Blue, full black leather heated electric front seats, auto lights, Xenons, auto dipping rear view mirror, heated folding door mirrors, cruise control, Bose, full DIS, MFSW, 18" RS6 reps, rear parking sensors, colour coded lower, rear door window blinds, interior & ambient lighting kit, under seat storage, front armrest as standard. RS4 ARB, RNS-e sat nav, Cd Changer, OEM bluetooth fitted by me.

BLP
    Neutral

Status
    I do have a 'VERY' heavy right foot, being 21, driving for 4 years without any accidents, points or even been pulled over (yet), but I also cant remember the last time I drove without having my foot to the floor, saying that my old 2.6Q you had to push to get it to go anywhere

Something I am sure I will soon grow out of, currently in split minds between 1.8TQS and 2.5TDI, I like the idea of the 1.8T despite mpg, 20mpg on the floor is still a considerable saving on my current 15mpg.

And I do like 'gaz j's' on the classifieds, that is really my kinda thing, right colour, all the little changes I would have made myself, leather interior, ummmmm........

Problem is I am sure that motor will be gone after Xmas

BLP

1st Gear

Status
    Hi blp, in response to your questions; 1: I'm only selling the car because i've had it for 2 years and always swap them after that time. And I liked it that much that im swapping it for a B7 version. (I've seen the 1 I want, hence dropping my price). 2: It's done 78k miles. FSH 3: Probably will still have it after xmas as no-one is buying cars thanks to this supposed credit crunch!! I keep getting calls asking for p/x beacause people can't sell their's. Anyway thanks for you interest BLP, keep checking the classifieds on audi-sport if still on after xmas get in touch.

Shuddup Foooool!!

Status
    My 1.8TQS does average 21-23mpg now but on the motorway I managed to average 30-33mpg (sometimes higher but soooo boring)...according to the DIS but you only have to twitch your little toe and thats it the DIS drops back into its mid to high 20's!!

Put it this way, I filled up full tank and got 344mls before the "beeeeeeeeep"...thats a mixture of led foot and feather footing it!

BLP
    Neutral

Status
    cool thanks guys, well I will be keeping my eyes open across the board, thanks for the info gaz, from what I can see yours is good value for the money and the sort of spec I would be looking for, I will hopefully be in touch after Xmas,

one last quick question - Anyone got the 3.0 sport model, and know its power / mpg spec, recommendable?

Cheers

BLP

Smoking is good for you

Status
    Derbyshire, land of the free home of the brave.
    Id buy Just Plain Olds S4 if i was looking for a car again, beautiful and a bargain!
    8P S3 S-Tronic BE. Stage 2 from Awesome GTi.

Gone - S4 bi-turbo - forever a place in my heart!

BLP
    Neutral

Status
    " Id buy Just Plain Olds S4 if i was looking for a car again, beautiful and a bargain! "

Not disagreeing but still in the early years of car ownership and cant really afford one taking into account the bigger picture, and the purpose of getting rid of my old 2.6Q is to not have to fill up every day, every other day would be a f***ing relief...

I wouldnt mind filling up so much though if I actually got some decent performance out of it....

Space Cowboy

Status
    the 1.8T 163 and 2.5tdi are both similar performance and cheap tax, reasonable insurance and ok to run. If I was really bothered about fuel consumption I would go for the tdi, remapped - it will blow you away with the wave of torque.

Ive had a lot of tdi's of different makes, and they are awsome. My next motor is gonna be a 330d sport m-tech bmw coupe, 300 bhp wi a remap and 45 mpg.

look around autotrader too and use the advanced search to find exactly what you want and it will be there, theres loads on it and some are very good prices. If your after a finance deal then stick to traders and ones with brick & mortar businesses, not "mobile phone only" dealers working from home, as finance companies won't deal with them.

Best o luck mate.
    B4 TDI - old skool project / daily driver...if it ain't broke, it's probably an Audi...

Neutral

Status
    Hey,
    I thought about various things and have now got a 1.9 TDI 130, which can easily be chipped to 160 - 170bhp, although with the torque the diesel has, I find it enough for me. If you do a lot of miles, Id go for the diesel, and the 1.9 or 2.0 depending on age, as the 2.5 can have heavy servicing and repair costs. Also, forget the Quattro, as its just a drain on fuel economy, and unless you really push it, you wont be any less pleased with the drive or handling. With all the financial doom, economy is an important factor, especially when considering what the thirstier cars may be worth in the future after they are taxed and fuel costed off the roads!
    Scottyjohn
    www.flashsync.co.uk
    2002 A4 Avant TDI 130 SE