A4 avant 1.9 tdi

matty w

Reaction score
hi all just brought an A4 avant,when the revs get to 2000rpm i get like a droan/slight vibration i just wondered if anyone had any idea what it might be or is it just the engine characteristic

sounds like flywheel to me, try giving it beans in top gear at about 40mph... does it feel like its slipping?

no dont seem like its slipping it only does it at 2000rpm when you get a bit higher up the revs it stops,it seems like its coming from the passenger side

could maybe be a worn engine mount on that side? Might even be the tinplate shielding thats all over the floorpan to protect the car from the exhaust heat, my B5 rattled like a bean tin full of stones at certain revs till i ripped all the old shielding off and threw it away (it was an old hack anyhow)

Could also be the tin shield on the cat, get a mate to touch all the shields with a wooden stick as you hold it at 2k, if the vibe stops youve found the culprit. The cat heatshield is actually famous on a lot of vw & audi cars for rattling.

cheers for the reply's lads,yeah deffinatly engine speed,i was thinking maybe exhaust,i'll see if i can borrow my mates 4poster ramp and have a poke around underneath