A4 1.8 T SPORT QUATTRO

markyc100

Reaction score
Hi i have just purchased a Audi A4 1.8 t quattro sport 2001 (51) with 96k with full audi s/h. I am really pleased with it but it is lacking power compared with my old golf 1.8t, i know they are a heavier car. What is the standard bhp of the car and what can i expect to get from a remap.

Also it hasn't got a fuel computer, is it as simple as replacing the stalk or is it a factory fit job.

Cheers !!!:blackrs4:

Mines a 1.8T Quattro Sport and before i got mine map'd compared to my mates old golf it was sloooowwww.
Dont forget ours is 4 wheels drive so with the golf being FWD, you'll feel alot more torque.

They say the audi's are 163bhp but ive heard there is no such thing, more like 150bhp.
After I had mine remap'd it improved greatly, more power, more torque and feels smoother to drive. Feels more awake!
After the golf was map'd, it felt slow again, like you say though, its to do with the weight aswell as the 4WD against FWD.

The guy who did mine reckons I should be touching around the 200Bhp mark now. Im happy with that, nippy enough!!!

Hi does anyone know a good company near Blackpool to remap my A4 1.8T Quattro :undwech:

yes. try this Guy. based in Liverpool. he did mine. I also have a 1.8T... you can hear the turbo spooling up immediately! much more potent....the golfs seem faster off the mark but stick mine in 3rd and it flies!

http://www.toph.co.uk/
0845 021 8674

yeah I love my third gear too.
I also like giving it a good 4th gear stretch on the motorway.:eyebrows:

it will tell you your car's power output in kw on the service book or documents, mines a 163 (120kw) but earlier ones were indeed 150 (110kw) as the power was upped in 2002> - multiply bhp by 0.73 to get kw or divide kw by 0.73 to get bhp.

And no you cant fit the fuel computer - its range-to-empty or nowt :(

And no you cant fit the fuel computer - its range-to-empty or nowt :(

I'm not sure this is true. I have a 2003 1.8T Sport and I upgraded the computer by simply purchasing a new stalk (with the buttons on the end) and then fitting it myself. Cost me about £60. The only additional thing you have to do is reprogram the instrument cluster. This can be done easily using VagCom.

Ade

well I stand corrected mate if you have done this and it works, my info on that subject was that since several others said on here to me that the full function fuel computer can't be gotten by just adding the stick with the buttons on, and it would make sense that why build a £35k car then leave out a £60 stalk and disable all the fuel computer functions except range?

Anyway, if thats the case, im hunting down the stalk. Im gonna check out your link since I've had vagcom for a while now and have never seen anything on this subject. Cheers :)

well I stand corrected mate if you have done this and it works, my info on that subject was that since several others said on here to me that the full function fuel computer can't be gotten by just adding the stick with the buttons on, and it would make sense that why build a £35k car then leave out a £60 stalk and disable all the fuel computer functions except range?

Anyway, if thats the case, im hunting down the stalk. Im gonna check out your link since I've had vagcom for a while now and have never seen anything on this subject. Cheers :)

Perhaps I am misunderstanding what you mean by a "full function computer". When I bought the car I found that it only displayed "range to empty" and that there was no way I could switch the display to show, for example, "average mpg". I too was amazed that my Audi could not do what my mates Skoda could, but there you go! Having fitted the stalk I can now cycle through range, mpg, average mpg, journey time, average speed, and also switch between (1) just this journey and (2) long term (since you last reset it). If this is what you are after then yes, it can be done.

I bought my stalk from vagparts.co.uk Their online catalogue is rubbish, but if you ring them up they can get any parts you want - the type of stalk you'll need will depend on whether you have an Avant or Saloon - Saloon is 4E0 953 503 B 4PK, Avant (I think) is 4E0 953 503 C 4PK. These are for the B6, of course, I don't know if it can be done on the B5.

To code, you will need at least a registered version of VagCom 409, and the instructions are there in the link in my sig.

BTW - When I first got the car I rang Audi and asked about the DIS retrofit and they themselves told me it could not be done! So it's no wonder there is misinformation out there!

I was pushing my 1.8t quattro into a corner today, it went round the corner but the traction control light came on with the ABS light and stayed on for the journey home, when i stopped the car and left it for a while and started up again the lights went out. Any ideas,have i anything to worry about as i have only had the car a few weeks.:sos: