Xenon problem.

gaz j

Reaction score
The drivers side headlight light keep's going off and the side light won't come on at all. I'm new to Xenon's and don't have a clue. It is actually on my friends 54 TT 3.2 roadster. She rang Audi and was quoted about a £1000! Does she have to replace the whole headlamp unit or can the bulbs be replaced? And if yes are they easy to install? Any help is much appreciated.

The drivers side headlight light keep's going off and the side light won't come on at all. I'm new to Xenon's and don't have a clue. It is actually on my friends 54 TT 3.2 roadster. She rang Audi and was quoted about a £1000! Does she have to replace the whole headlamp unit or can the bulbs be replaced? And if yes are they easy to install? Any help is much appreciated.

On the A4 (Dipped Xenon only) they consist of the standard Halogen headlight lens, (which is Xenon compatible), a Xenon Control Unit (fitted underneath the cluster, a connection cable and then the bulb assembly (comprises a HT transformer unit on the back of the bulb). Each item has a part number and so could potentially be replaced.

These are rough prices for parts:
Xenon Control Unit ~£320
Cable ~ £22
Bulb (inc.HT unit assy) ~ £185

On the A4 - the side light is a simple 12V/5W "W5W" tungsten bulb - ~£2

BEWARE: XENONS use High Voltages so fiddling around could be the last thing you ever do!! BE CAREFUL.

Had a quick look at the TT parts list and it uses Two Xenon control units - different to the A4.
But uses a standard tungsten sidelight marked "H12V/6W" - the Audi part no. is N104 455 02 typically around £8 - but I'm sure you can source from any car part supplier for less than £3.

Check connections at the back of the headlight unit - they should be safe and no more than around 12V.

Perhaps post in the TT section to get experienced feedback on this model??

FYI A4's with OE Xenons use H6W side light bulbs.

433.jpg

The dipped Xenon bulbs do fail and can be replaced just like a normal bulb. You should be able to pick an OEM bulb (philips or Osram) for about £90 odd.

Here's a quick link http://www.motorbulbs.com/product_info.php/cPath/12/products_id/142 .

I can't remember if the A4 uses 2DS or 2DR Xenon bulbs......

BUB :beerchug:

It will be a D2S bulb most probably. You can get a decent pair for £30 on eBay.

I'd recommend changing them both because if you replace only one, the colour will not match.

Also, it's worth pointing out it might not necessarily be the bulb at fault here, double check for loose connections or a bad fuse for the sidelight.

It will be a D2S bulb most probably. You can get a decent pair for £30 on eBay.

I'd recommend changing them both because if you replace only one, the colour will not match.

Also, it's worth pointing out it might not necessarily be the bulb at fault here, double check for loose connections or a bad fuse for the sidelight.

£30 a pair, that's silly money!! Thanks for the link Golf :thumbsup:

Always best to check as much as possible first.

I guess having DIS is a plus in a case like this. Maybe swapping the Xenon bulbs over will confirm if the bulb had blown too....?

BUB :uhm:

It's an absolute steal isn't it Bub?

I upgraded mine to the pure white 5000k jobbies to eliminate any tinges of yellow, and they're still going strong 10 months on, whereas my OEM ones flickered red for a split second on start-up.

Get a multi-meter, tap into the low voltage (12v) lines going into the headlight assembly and turn the lights on. There should be a steady 12v after the lights come on (more commonly around the 14.4v mark) to the headlight cluster on both the headlight feed and the sidelight feed. If there isn't, there is a problem with the wiring, if there is there is a problem in the headlight.

The HID bulbs last ages, and when they pack up they generally do so completely, not just a little bit.

I'd suggest that the sidelight might be causing the problem. Replace it and you may well find the headlight starts to work fine again. It isn't unknown for the internals of the sidelight bulb to cause a short circuit which will affect the voltage getting to the headlight.

Hay up,

Easiest & safest way to diagnose this sort of fault, (as ballast's do fail, ask any Vauxhall owner:beee:), is just take a bulb out & swap it to the other side, then see which one fails or struggles to ignite.

As has been said, these things run at over 23kv on start up, so can give you more than just a belt. HT leads, pah childs play:superman:

You could have a wiring problem, but I doubt it unless they have been disturbed, ie in a bump/repair.

Cheers, Shane

Hi,

I have noticed tonight that on my S3( 2001 facelift),my drivers side xenon is less blue than the other side.

Upon starting up both are instant blue effect, but around 5 seconds of being on, the drivers side xenon looks slightly pink effect?

Any ideas people??

Cheers

Rob

and you can always keep the "odd" one for when you travel to Europe and need to keep a spare....

Hay up,

Easiest & safest way to diagnose this sort of fault, (as ballast's do fail, ask any Vauxhall owner:beee:), is just take a bulb out & swap it to the other side, then see which one fails or struggles to ignite.

As has been said, these things run at over 23kv on start up, so can give you more than just a belt. HT leads, pah childs play:superman:

You could have a wiring problem, but I doubt it unless they have been disturbed, ie in a bump/repair.

Cheers, Shane

Hey Shane,

Could I just blow that brand new Xenarc bulb bc there possible some wiring/relay/fuse/switch problem?
Thank you.:hi:

You A4 Problem is xenon ballast not work ,you need chage it .

and A4 have two types oem ballast.

Audi-A4-S4-OEM-Xenon-D1S-Ballast.jpg

2006-2009 A4 use this oem ballast

2006-2009-Audi-A4-S4-A3-RS4-OEM-Xenon-Ballast.jpg

As per Woorlord's comment: A4 and TT comparisons aren't really gonna help....

BUT ONE DEFINITE INACCURACY!

On the A4 - the side light is a simple 12V/5W "W5W" tungsten bulb - ~£2

not true for OEM Xenons....

Here's the specs:

Sidelamp bulb for OEM HID-equipped cars - H6W-12V6W
Sidelamp bulb for halogen-equipped cars - W5W-12V5W

I know - was just being a bit more explicit and clarifying what would be required for a Halgon version too...