Slow Wipers Take 2

JohnboyC

Reaction score
OK, I know that this has been discussed before, but last week my wipers would only slowly wipe at one speed no matter where the Wiper switch was set, and at one point they could hardly make it across the windscreen.

I did not use the car for four days, and this evening the wipers seemed to be working perfectly......

Any ideas why the wipers all of a sudden work very slowly.....and then are suddenly OK ?

well have you got the auto wipers system that usually comes with auto lights aswell, plus the interval switch on the stork seems to affect this aswell

Had this on my A4 recently, the wipers were virtually stopped when switched on, so I stripped off the wipers and removed the mechanism I found the drivers side pivot point was seized, I couldn't even move it by hand. Once taken apart and lubricated with grease the pivot point turned with ease, the wipers now have 2 speeds rather than 1 slow one. If I had gone to Audi they would have just replaced the mechanism and charged a load of money for it.

Hi all...

Well, toay I had the car into Audi Preston.....and they checked out the wipers....to find the linkage was starting to seize up...and the recent rain had sort of lubricated it all - hence it had started to free up.......so it was all replaced ....for £117 - which is great, so a BIG thumbs up to Audi Preston !!!!

INterestingly, the Audi Mechanic informed me that half the reason the linkage starts to seize is people using chaep nasty stuff in their washer bottles....which has a corrosive effect on some parts of the linkage....

I have always mixed my own using the really concentrated windscreen washer stuff from Halfords.....perhaps I need to weaken the mix........usally 10 parts water to 1 part washer fluid !

£117? That's very expensive WD40! Oh of course that would include the labour to spray it on.
Actually the main reason for seizing is badly fitted replacement windscreens and damage to the scuttle. Windscreen wash should never be able to get onto the linkage.

Yep...but the weather has turned nasty........and I could not be bothered to get my hands dirty.....the cost of the linkage was £50 odd quid....so an hours labour....and at least the job is guaranteed I s'pose.....

£117 isn't a bad price for a dealer job to be fair. To save me the time and grief of doing it myself I would be tempted at that price if mine needed doing.....

This is not unual on the B6. The tech knew what it was before looking at the car as he had seen it many times.

(Almost as common as the Avant rear washer nozzle corroding !!)