Volks AutosJMB Retrofits
    4th Gear

Status

Headlight Protectors

Hi - does anyone out there have Audi Headlight protectors on their B6 ?

I do a reasonable amount of motorway driving and would hate to see a stone go thru one of my xenon headlights.......

Are they any good ? Do they come off easily making them a target for the light fingered fraternity ?

If you have any pictures of them fitted that would be great !

Cheers
    Monza Silver A4 2.0TDi S-Line Avant Quattro (170) - Heated Alcantara Leather, Sat Nav, Bluetooth, Folding Door Miirrors, Electric Tailgate, Privacy Glass, etc

2. # ADS
    ADS

2003 1.8T Sport Ebony Black A4 Cabriolet

Status
    Hi, I have them on my B6 cabriolet. I have to say that all my cars have had them fitted. I wouldn't be without them, especially my cabriolet which has xenon headlamps.
    Some people are funny about having headlamp protectors due to the way they look, but they obviously haven't had to replace a headlamp, especially a xenon one.

I managed to pick mine up from a dealer on Ebay who had some over stocks of the cabriolet ones, I think I paid 20 delivered and they are 'genuine' Audi ones. I think they are only about 30 from a dealer anyway.

On the cabriolet they wedge fit under the headlamp and have a small bracket on the top of the headlamp which clips on and then a small screw holds the top of the protector to the headlamp.

I'm sure they probably fit the same for the saloon / avant variants.

You can just see the screw in the picture, I've circled it so you can see it.

Hope this helps

Andy

B6 1.8T Sport Cabriolet - Ebony Black & Red Sports Leather-19" Sportec Mono10s-Bootlip spoiler-One touch roof module-Green Cotton filter-Forge 007 - 2007 rear lamps-2007 OEM interior dimming compass mirror-OEM S4 heated, elec folding, dimming aluminium door mirrors-2007 RS4 cabriolet exhaust-2007 RS4 Carbon trim-2007 RS4 starter button-2007 RS4 inner door handles- A4 DTM carbon front splitter
    1994 UK MX5 in rare Laguna Blue
    2003 Yamaha R1 (5PW) Tech Silver - not standard !

1st Gear

Status
    I had some on my old leon and now on my b7, they are worth every penny i had motorway debris hit my car following an accident on the motorway, smashed the protector and saved the head light
    |Present: 2005 B7 Audi A4 Avant 2.0T FSI Quattro S-Line|DIS|Phatbox|Aircon'd Glove Box|Ambiant Light Pack|
    |Gf's Motor: 2003 8L Audi A3 18.T Sport | Standard |
    |Previously: SEAT LEON FR TDI|German Spec Corrado G60 JET LHD|Mk2 Golf Cab|Mk2 Fiesta 1.4s|

Grumpy Old Man

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnboyC View Post
    Hi - does anyone out there have Audi Headlight protectors on their B6 ?

I do a reasonable amount of motorway driving and would hate to see a stone go thru one of my xenon headlights.......

Are they any good ? Do they come off easily making them a target for the light fingered fraternity ?

If you have any pictures of them fitted that would be great !

Cheers
    I've got them; they're easy to fit, look good and are also easy to remove for cleaning. However, you need to lift the bonnet to remove them, otherwise they break. So I don't think you need worry about unauthorised removal. The fitting is slightly different from the Cabriolet's. The top edge of the protector has a rectangular slot that hooks over a slim bracket on the top of the headlight assembly; very discreet, as it's covered by the bonnet lip.

Here are some pics:

Last edited by jdp1962; 24th September 2008 at 10:12.
    A4 3.0TDi SE Quattro Auto. Factory-fit: RNS-E/bluetooth; F/R parking sensors; full leather/heated front seats; cruise. Retrofit: Remap; Eibach 30mm lowering springs, RS4 RARB; MTEC drilled/grooved discs; 18" RS4 alloys; VW fan washers; Kinetic Digitizor DAB; Blackvue DR380 camera; front armrest; ambient lighting; white LED lights; autodim mirror; Cupra splitter; S-Line door blades; tints; UK pressed plates; MFSW; SDS; TPMS; LED Taillights and DRLs. RS aluminium pedals

Grumpy Old Man

Status
    Here are some more pics - close-ups this time, showing how the retaining hook for the protector sits under the rubber seal on the top of the headlight assembly.

A4 3.0TDi SE Quattro Auto. Factory-fit: RNS-E/bluetooth; F/R parking sensors; full leather/heated front seats; cruise. Retrofit: Remap; Eibach 30mm lowering springs, RS4 RARB; MTEC drilled/grooved discs; 18" RS4 alloys; VW fan washers; Kinetic Digitizor DAB; Blackvue DR380 camera; front armrest; ambient lighting; white LED lights; autodim mirror; Cupra splitter; S-Line door blades; tints; UK pressed plates; MFSW; SDS; TPMS; LED Taillights and DRLs. RS aluminium pedals

2003 1.8T Sport Ebony Black A4 Cabriolet

Status
    The hook is the same as the cabriolet except I have a little fixing screw to hold it on
    B6 1.8T Sport Cabriolet - Ebony Black & Red Sports Leather-19" Sportec Mono10s-Bootlip spoiler-One touch roof module-Green Cotton filter-Forge 007 - 2007 rear lamps-2007 OEM interior dimming compass mirror-OEM S4 heated, elec folding, dimming aluminium door mirrors-2007 RS4 cabriolet exhaust-2007 RS4 Carbon trim-2007 RS4 starter button-2007 RS4 inner door handles- A4 DTM carbon front splitter
    1994 UK MX5 in rare Laguna Blue
    2003 Yamaha R1 (5PW) Tech Silver - not standard !

4th Gear

Status
    Well, Audi Main Dealers want 41 for the OEM product......anywhere I can get them cheaper ?

I assume they are easily removed for cleaning......
    Monza Silver A4 2.0TDi S-Line Avant Quattro (170) - Heated Alcantara Leather, Sat Nav, Bluetooth, Folding Door Miirrors, Electric Tailgate, Privacy Glass, etc

Grumpy Old Man

Status
    Well, Audi Main Dealers want 41 for the OEM product......anywhere I can get them cheaper ?

I assume they are easily removed for cleaning......
    That's the going rate, I'm afraid. Don't be a cheapskate, get them OEM, they are worth it. Dead easy to remove for cleaning. Lift the bonnet, easy the bottom edge of the protector out from between the bumper and headlight, and unhook from the clip.

Re-fitting is the reverse, as Haynes might say.

4th Gear

Status
    Oh, I will still get the OEM ones, but you have to ask the Audi B6 forum folk if there is a bargain out there :-)

Grumpy Old Man

Status
    Oh, I will still get the OEM ones, but you have to ask the Audi B6 forum folk if there is a bargain out there :-)
    If only you had a B5. I have a pair in the shed from my previous A4.