Fuse problem?

KelliSean

Reaction score
I have a 2002 A4 Avant 2.5TDI that I purchased recently. It had a blown fuse for the lighter 15Amp which I replaced. It lasted for about a day and blew again. What should I be looking for? Is this common? I need to be able to use the Tom Tom and charge my mobile phone. I would appreciate any helpful hints.
Cheers
Kelli

Make sure there isn't a load of **** stuck in the bottom of the lighter socket. A lot of them need cleaning out ideally with a small screw driver to rub / scratch all the contacts to provide better conncetions. Take the fuse out before you do this though !

Andy

Hardwire the TomTom as well, much neater than having wires all over the dash.

I don't think it is dirty the lighter looks new. I will look into hardwiring the TOM TOM but I will still need to charge the mobile.
Cheers
Kelli

The lighter is nothing to do with it, it's the socket that can get gunged up. The lighter is probably new, or never used, whereas the socket just sits there collecting debris.

some adaptor plugs are not exactly a perfect fit into car sockets, and often they short out the contacts. The main frame of the cig lighteris grounded, but the brass lug going up both sides and across the bottom is live all the time so the plug for the tomtom may not be compatible, I know that non audi lighters do not work in the socket, cos both this car and the b5 I had before it had the lighters missing, I tried loads from scrappers but to no avail, oem only - some just didnt work, others blew the fuse immediately....