Monster MotorsportJMB Retrofits

Thread: Fuse problem?

Reverse Gear

Status

Fuse problem?

I have a 2002 A4 Avant 2.5TDI that I purchased recently. It had a blown fuse for the lighter 15Amp which I replaced. It lasted for about a day and blew again. What should I be looking for? Is this common? I need to be able to use the Tom Tom and charge my mobile phone. I would appreciate any helpful hints.
    Cheers
    Kelli

2. # ADS
    ADS

2003 1.8T Sport Ebony Black A4 Cabriolet

Status
    Make sure there isn't a load of **** stuck in the bottom of the lighter socket. A lot of them need cleaning out ideally with a small screw driver to rub / scratch all the contacts to provide better conncetions. Take the fuse out before you do this though !

Andy
    B6 1.8T Sport Cabriolet - Ebony Black & Red Sports Leather-19" Sportec Mono10s-Bootlip spoiler-One touch roof module-Green Cotton filter-Forge 007 - 2007 rear lamps-2007 OEM interior dimming compass mirror-OEM S4 heated, elec folding, dimming aluminium door mirrors-2007 RS4 cabriolet exhaust-2007 RS4 Carbon trim-2007 RS4 starter button-2007 RS4 inner door handles- A4 DTM carbon front splitter
    1994 UK MX5 in rare Laguna Blue
    2003 Yamaha R1 (5PW) Tech Silver - not standard !

Status
    Hardwire the TomTom as well, much neater than having wires all over the dash.
    "How to tear apart the ties that bind, perhaps fcuk off might be too kind"
    Alex Turner

Reverse Gear

Status

hardwire

I don't think it is dirty the lighter looks new. I will look into hardwiring the TOM TOM but I will still need to charge the mobile.
    Cheers
    Kelli

Status
    The lighter is nothing to do with it, it's the socket that can get gunged up. The lighter is probably new, or never used, whereas the socket just sits there collecting debris.
    "How to tear apart the ties that bind, perhaps fcuk off might be too kind"
    Alex Turner

Space Cowboy

Status
    some adaptor plugs are not exactly a perfect fit into car sockets, and often they short out the contacts. The main frame of the cig lighteris grounded, but the brass lug going up both sides and across the bottom is live all the time so the plug for the tomtom may not be compatible, I know that non audi lighters do not work in the socket, cos both this car and the b5 I had before it had the lighters missing, I tried loads from scrappers but to no avail, oem only - some just didnt work, others blew the fuse immediately....
    B4 TDI - old skool project / daily driver...if it ain't broke, it's probably an Audi...