Help me choose one of these.....?

ScottyP45

Reaction score
Ok lads, new car time is approaching (april) so I want to gauge your honest opinions on my potential choices. They arent all Audi, but please be objective? Insurance isnt a problem, or fuel consumption, just style, driving experience, looks, rep etc etc :) (btw all the audi's are 3.2 Quattros and the others are 3.2 RWD and 3.5 AWD)

In NO particular order...

3.2 Q-S-line DSG
1FCIVC.jpg

3.2 Q DSG
27OO.jpg

3.2 M3 SMG
3ULIJC.jpg

Skyline-2 350GT (3.5L AWD)
FD5J2.jpg

911 Carrera-4 (996) 3.6L Boxer Flat-6 AWD
edia.jpg

Cheers!

I wouldn't go for the Nissan, I've played around with the idea of a 350z. I love the pace of the thing, but the cabin and build quility is nowhere near that of the germans.
Personally, I like the M3, but I wouldn't buy one. I know they are one of the best drivers cars, but a bit too chav for me, especially where I live.
If you are considering the Porsche, then an A3 seems a little further down the ladder, considering the TT drives alot better in my opinion.
I'd probably go for one of the Porsches, but then I'd have to think of the cost of maintaining them, such as services, tyres, etc. and you can get alot newer TT for the equivalent price.
I've not driven a Carrera, but I have driven a Boxer, and I loved it. The handling and power were great.

My sensible choice would be a TT in red or black, with flashy alloys, but if costs and age were no consideration, I'd defo have a Porsche.

Obviously all my opinion, but hope that helps a little.

Andy

I'd have to agree with Andy. The Nissan that you are looking at is an import so spares and parts could be a big problem. Reliable engine with a lovely sound especially with an exhaust.

M3s are great cars, but earlier one have been known to have problems with iffy SMG boxes, I personally prefer them in manuals. The problem with the M3 is that colour and spec can make big differences come buying and selling time. One of the nicest colour combinations is Carbon black with red. If you do buy an M3 then the navigation pack makes a big difference in price, as can the colour of the interior trim. M3s are getting cheap now, and like the one in the picture can be 'chavved' up just as easily as anything else !!! I HATE those wheels on it !

Also consider perhaps a late run out model E46 330d coupe M-tech edition.

911 C4S are nice as long as you can afford to run them PROPERLY, there are many good independant dealers out there for sale and service. on the 996 you might want to check on years as the 996 had a mild face lift with concerns to the colour of the light clusters etc, which can be expensive to retrofit to an earlier one. Wheel choice and colour also make re-sale values go up and down.

TT - well tried and tested, can look a 'little' dated against the new shape one - but a great car for not a lot of money. Will sound wicked with a Milltek on it. But you might get an even better deal on a 225 1.8TQ verison. Colour choice not as important, can be very dark inside if you get black leather.

As for the A3, well I don't think they look that great unless they are properly specced with full S-line / S3 bits. Again DSG and 3.2 tried and tested.

And if you are considering the 3.2 VAG engine, why not the 4.2 V8 ??? S4s are cheap as chips, and well I've seen RS4s for under £30k now...........

And as crazy as it seems, SL500s make no money at all, or even a CL500 ????

You could also have a lot of fun in a late Evo 8/9 for not much money either.... or Lotus Elise....... OR an F150 pickup :)

I'd got with the M3 (but hopefully not those wheels!) or the Porsche. The A3 is a non-starter for me, you dont pay the extra for a prestige brand to drive around in a hatchback in my opinion, the TT I still look at as a hairdresser / bimbo's car (my wife owns her own hairdressing business before anyone has a go at me lol) and the Nissan, nice car but Ive owned a Jap car before, and whilst extremely reliable I couldnt stand the interior build quality.

I'd say go with the M3.

Thanks lads for the valuable input. I do think you all echo my own inner thoughts on them.

The skyline is drop dead gorgeous and sounds lovely, but like you say the interior may not be as good a build quality as the germans, however nissan are on the up and they are a LOT better than the old ones. Since its an import its the only one that breaks £400 for comp insurance for me, so I will likely pass it by.

The A3, well, its ok but was my last choice and yeah, theres something odd about it being a hatchback, doesnt quite work wi the audi image and looks.

The TT im hot and cold about, some aspects of the styling i dont like, like the bonnet line showing at the sides, and the back seats are useless (still need to occasionally carry 3 passengers) and it is a bit hair-dressery compared to others.

The porsche - well ive always ALWAYS wanted one, and I can only afford a late model 996 when really id rather have a 997 - and service parts are ridiculously dear, like £1200 for pads and discs (yikes) - just checked on a parts site.....

The 4k servicing schedule of the Evo puts me right off, and if they go bang (and they do sometimes since they squeeze 400 brake out of a little 4-pot motor) its big dollars for engine repairs. A mate has an FQ300 and its hardly been on the road in a year due to one thing and another, then the engine let go.

Merc....a bit old-manny, the SLK is nice but its a 2 seater like the boxster-s so its out anyway.

The BMW is my top choice then so far, since I can now afford an 06 M3 without any strain, maybe would also go for the silky smooth 330 TDi as it is absolutely whisper silent at the front end, and is a real hairy chested motor. (I live in a tiny village in the countryside so the few neds here all have corsas and clios, no kid could afford an M3 let alone insure it and chav it up:) ) - only thing is....I do like those M6 wheels, (sorry lol) always have. Whats wrong wi them? Its not like everyone has them and they are OEM stuff, not available for any other fitment except BMW...

I want a six cylinder for the sound and torque, and no turbo lag. I dont have to worry about fuel or insurance since my weekly commute to work is 8 miles in total, and I only work 4 days out of every 8, I'm just over 40 so insurance is **** cheap even on a group 20 motor (around £300 - £350 - did quotes on them all lol)

I have about £20k to blow on the next car PLUS my trade in on the A4, so theres a lot of choices but im really picky like most others on here (we like quality eh) so had to narrow it down severely and avoid all the ****-boxes and boring stuff!

All comments and views much appreciated lads ;)

pritty much echo andyccr

manual is the better option on the m3, my brother in law had the m3 with the smg2 box, it was great for the first week then wished hed got the manual, to snatchy.
he sold it and got a carrera 4 996 cab.
as for costs, he said that the m3 was far dearer to run than the porker in every way,servicing, fuel,insurance etc, the only thing was that the porker was dearer to buy, hard to believe really.
he also said that hed never have either again, m3 to problematic, porker to uncomfortable,not an everyday car.
also agree with andyccr's suggestion, s4/rs4 every day.

must be nice to be in the position to pick one of these,good luck with what ever you get.

cheers mate, for years I have had cheap or old motors, cos we have 5 kids and were always paying out for stuff - our food bill was huge, leccy, etc etc as 7 of us were living off one wage. The kids are 16 to 22 now and all still at home, however they all started jobs this month (cos I kicked their ***** as we were keeping ALL of them in luxury while their poor old dad worked every hour god sent).

Well now they are all working and can support themselves, they are all getting wee cars and have their own money to go out etc, me and the wife get to keep our wages to ourselves for the first time in 22 years LOL. Although I am on a good salary it doesnt go far round 7 adults!

So at last I can afford the kind of car I really want, Im finding it hard to choose but dont want to waste the opportunity. I could get an S4 for very reasonable money, an RS4 is still a bit pricey and since ive got an A4 now anyway, I really dont want another one. The car is nice, but the gearchange is notchy, the suspension is terrible over a rough road (theres plenty round here too) its waaaay to hard for absorbing bumps, and not like "normal" sports suspension that damps well and still corners flat, its far too harsh for a luxury car. And the steering's too heavy. And I hate the turbo lag if i'm honest.

I dont like the B7 at all either, I think the lights are awful and its still just a slightly re-jigged B6 :(

I think the BMW will win out so far, plus the wife hates porkers (tho if i really was determined to get it then i would ignore her anyway and put up wi the sulking. She doesnt drive yet, and when she does it will be in her OWN car, not mine!)

I still want an auto or semi auto cos I'm sick of changing gear and want something I can potter about in without trying but still have a blast when I want to. Perhaps a 330i or 330d would be a better bet, we'll have to see. Might take a manual too hto cos RWD motors have usually got a slick gearbox unlike FWD's wi their awkward gear linkages which will never feel as good as a direct-shift RWD box.

How about this for an idea?? For me if I was looking to push the boat out & needed a bit of space for sub £30k its gotta be one of the best options in my opinion!!

I concur with the above pretty much
The A3 is a non starter for me as well its haldex as well isnt it? With that budget i would have selected a nice V8 S4 for driving experience.

a pal of mine just got a 996 carrera 4 tip, his choices were not far off yours!

Before i bought the A4 avant, i was inches away from going for an E46 330 sport, great dirivng car, ok not an M3 but was good at everything. But then enter more babies so bye bye coupe. sniff... i loved the E46 chassis, not so sold on the newer ones i must say. The 330d msport is a belter and if you do a lot of driving the instant power is seriously impressive. If its more a car to hop in an smile it would be the M3 or Z. I suspect the Porsche will hold its value better than the others over the duration of ownership.

Hey scots I defo like them M6 alloys, always have, they look Beut on the M3!

Out of all them you shown Id say the M3 mate.
...but if I had that sort of money then it would defo be the new S3 without a doubt, something new aint it but would be looking at the B5 RS4 aswell.

If its within Reach then the cash would go on the B7 RS4 (thats if you can afford it) but if not then the S3!

Evo FQ's are nice aswell but the 4 rings come first for me. Sporty Prestige.

...but then there is the 22B or the WR1!:eyebrows:

it all depends on what kind of clas motor you want really.
Them Skylines are ****** Horrible, hate them, wouldnt waste my money.
TT's are boring unless you get a New one, They look more of a mans car rather than the Tarts mobile like the first.
Porsche remind me of Boredom - all about the Looks (that one in particular).Never have been a Porsche/Ferrari/Lambo Lover, not because I cant afford one but Id rather have a Aston Martin.

Choices choices Evil.

S3:yum: even though its not a 6 cylinder!

I must say im not too struck on the latest BMW stylee, I do prefer the E46 myself too. The 330i and 330d are very nice prospects and near enough M3 power with cheaper costs. I been thinking and theres no point saddling myself wi 17mpg when I could get 35 and still have mega power in the 330d coupe!

I have to say Im not a fan of V8's, too much of a lump and I prefer the 6 sound....plus the one thing I absolutely HATE about the A4 of any kind, and its driving me nuts now with mine, is the ride quality, its bone-jarring and im really getting sick of it, so I wouldnt have another one, even a 4.2 lol. Seems to be pandemic as well, everyone who has ever reviewed the newer A4's has slammed it (and other audis) for the ride harshness, and I must agree. The B5 was totally different to drive and not at all harsh, it drove like silk.

Anyway I've totally decided to set my sights on a 3 series coupe, an E46, either M3, 330i or 330d, in silver, grey or black!

(And probably wi M6 wheels LOL)

Cheers for the help and advice lads, it was invaluable! :thumbsup:

What about a new shape M5 ? Prices start at just a shade under £30k. Now if thats not a nice car..... FAR FAR better than an E46 M3 !!!!

A very good friend of mine had a E39 M5 and that was awsome enough and that was only 4.9 litre V8 - NOT 5litre V10

And PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE leave M6 wheels on a M6

im really not keen on the new 5 series, a lot of folk are still mixed about it, lovely inside though. The dealership I bought the A4 from picked me up in a new M5 at manchester airport and drove me to liverpool to collect mine and it was a really nice drive but I still like the shape of the previous ones better im afraid :)

The 5 series is a bit too big for me now, just want a mid size motor and I love the shape of the coupe, tho I did see a new shape coupe and it is pretty sublime.

The wife doesnt want me to go mad on what I spend on another car, cos im a bit of a gad-about when it comes to motors and change them too often really. I get bored quickly with things and she is getting pee'd off with me changing the cars so much lol.

I bought the Alfa in sep last year, then changed it for the Audi the following april, now I want a BMW - still looking for the perfect car i guess! I find theres always something about every car's looks that I dont like, but the E46 coupe (imho) looks good from every angle. Plus she wants to drive this year so i'll be buying her a car too, and it will have to be something easy to drive and reliable....

Don't get me wrong im not rich by any stretch, its just that we had our kids early and now their grown I find I will have more disposable money left over than in previous years :)

All I would say is have a drive in an M5 !

I would also try an S4, as I think they are bargain money for what they are.

I've also been looking on Autotrader.. Instead of an M3, check out some of the Alpinas - some are gash colours but they don't hold their money. There is a B3 3.3 blue coupe on a 2001Y for sub £10k. Just be a little careful with insurance though - as they can sometimes be worse than the M range to insure.

I really like the new 5 series shape, I also liked the old shape E39 when it was a decent spec one.

I think the problem is that there is too many good cars for very little money nowdays making choosing very difficult.

I'd check out autotrader and search for SL500s and SL55 AMGs, prices are looking very good on those.........

Remember - no substitute for cubic capacity :):):)

Maybe we should start placing bets on the outcome of this one! With such various comments I dont see how you can make your mind up, Personally, go with the :s4addict:!!!! How long you got to make a descision???

the prices on 3 to 5 year old 330d M-Sport coupes is brilliant! £9k to £12k and the spec list is massive, xenons, bluetooth, abs, asc + traction, cornering brake control, passenger occupancy detection (knows how many people are in the car and adjusts the stability system to suit), full leather, follow-me-home lights, auto wipers and lights, auto-dimming mirrors, 100bhp/ton, cheap tax, cheap insurance and 40mpg!!!

The Alpinas are superb too, just like you said, all petrol 3.3's - but the wife has talked me down from getting a big petrol engine again so it'll have to be the diesel wi a wee remap....:)

I was going to wait till april to change so I'd kept the A4 a year, but im starting to get the itch to get one now :)

Probably will wait a few months but I could change it anytime, obviously the longer I wait the change in depreciation will lower my car's value slightly but since I only paid £6k for the A4 I won't lose much, in fact I might get the same or slightly more when I trade it in hopefully cos the trade prices are still strong and its a good spec :)

I did see the S4 is really good value and pretty cheap actually, but I've never bought the same car twice and I don't suppose the ride quality on the S4 is any better than my t-sport?

The reason that the 'old' 330d coupes are well specced is that they were run out models. You will find a lot of them in the dark grey with black leather. The one that people really want is the 320Cd, as its got the much smaller and easier to insure engine for some people. Again most were in grey, carbon black or schwartz black, with black 'cube' interior trim, full Mtech suspension and styling packs....

Got to do something with all the old bits before a new model comes out !

But surely if you don't need to drive it very far, then go and buy an 'older' car with a nice pertrol engine...... or perhaps that F150 lightning with LPG !?!?????????????????....................

Gaaah - no fords an no pickups lol

My work commute is a tiny 2 mile round trip, but I do run around in the car a lot when im not working, so I'm not hung up on mpg like I would be if I had large distances to travel to work each week, cos work petrol is grudged but personal use petrol is ok :)

Nah I reckon ive made me mind up about the beemer but might still have the petrol M3 yet, thats all thats left to decide. May trot along to a local BMW dealer and have a wee shot of one or two of their automobiles....to see which one hits the spot so to speak.

Have to agree Siena, brilliant car the M3. At the mo because of the huge run-out goodies you get, its defo the E46 M3, 330i or 330d M-Tech coupe :)

Tendaimwari - I'll save the 997 for the next car change lol....can't quite stretch to 30k yet, the wife would have to wear sack-cloth and eat coal. Not that I mind, but she's got a couple of miles left in her at the moment, so I suppose I can let her have clothes and proper food for a while yet. Till the itch gets me again and a 997 looms......LOL

Check out this video of the brutal toughness of the OLD clattery BMW diesel 2.5 - you will NOT beleive the abuse this engine can withstand, I was gob-smacked.

Watch the whole video and I guarantee you WILL be impressed with its quality in light of what these redknecks did to it.....jesus!

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=B4l5PhKhT3U&feature=related