Oh no, stripped head screw on the back light cluster

Block 405

Reaction score
Hi,

Not been on here for quite some time.
Noticed my rear back brake light was out and got some advice on how to remove the screw in the boot compartment to get the cluster to come off ( I have an 2004 avant A4). I'd noticed that it had been taken off before as there was some marks on the screw head. anyway after finding the right screwdriver head, I can't get any putchase on it and have fully stripped the screw. The one one the other side is turning (loosening off) no problem.
How am I going to be able to get this screw out?

Many thanks:sadlike:

Doesn't that screw also have a hex head on it 8mm IIRC. If not then you'll need to remove the boot trim and hacksaw a new slot into it, or drill it out

I've just had mine out and Andymac is right it does have a hex on it, so you should be able to get it out with a small socket.

Thanks Guys, I'll try the hex head you mentioned. But it looks like the head of the screw has been stripped and it's difficult to get anything in that will alow the screw to turn. Failing that it'll just have be be drilled out as mentioned.

J

Top tip....evertime you remove the rear light covers always WD40 the threads of the screw......
My Avant seems to blow brake light bulbs failrly often.....

You can buy (cheaply) a set of screw extractors, not the kind that pull out broken bolts, but for removing screws with damaged phillips heads. Check the local hardware store, they look like little drill bits but the flute at the end is counter-clockwise. The two cutting edges bite into the screw head where the screwdriver would go, and force it to turn, using a cordless screwdriver on slow speed and dig it in gently but progressively until the screw rotates.

Spraying with lusol or other penetrant and leaving to soak for 10 mins should help, but wipe the head off so the bit gets a grip when you try it.

Alternatively use a dremel with a cutting disc to cut a slot into it - not too deep or too shallow, then use a flat head driver to turn it. Dont go more than 50% of the head thickness into the screw, or you risk snapping one of the new formed "leaves" off and thats it all over except for a messy drilling-out job...:)

thanks mate, got a screw removal tool and got it out. Will not be tightening it as solid as the previous owner/ last garage had !