Sky InsuranceVolks Autos
    1st Gear

Status

Problem with sidelights, think its more than just replace the bulb?

My driver-side sidelight has gone much duller than the passenger-side, so much so that at distance it hardly looks like its working. Now I would have thought that if the bulb had gone it wouldnt work at all?
    Im going to try changing the bulb first just to make sure, but is there a guide anywhere that you can point me to on how to do this please?

Also if anyone has any suggestions on what may be the trouble if its not the actual bulb it would be very much appreciated?

thanks.

54 A4 Avant 1.9TDi SE 130 6sp, factory fitted RNS-E Sat Nav, Colour DIS, 6-disk changer, Bluetooth, rear parking sensors and ambient lighting.

2. # ADS
    ADS

2003 1.8T Sport Ebony Black A4 Cabriolet

Status
    On the cabriolet you have to take the headlamp out to change the sidelight bulb. The bulb is mounted on a long 'runner' that slots in and out of the front of the cluster. Its only a 5 minute job to remove lamps though. Not sure if its the same for saloon and avants.

Don't replace them with LED bulbs though, they won't work properly and it'll show a bulb failure on the DIS

Of course you could always RTFM (read the ******* manual !!!!) to find out how to change the bulbs !!!!

Regards,

Andy
    B6 1.8T Sport Cabriolet - Ebony Black & Red Sports Leather-19" Sportec Mono10s-Bootlip spoiler-One touch roof module-Green Cotton filter-Forge 007 - 2007 rear lamps-2007 OEM interior dimming compass mirror-OEM S4 heated, elec folding, dimming aluminium door mirrors-2007 RS4 cabriolet exhaust-2007 RS4 Carbon trim-2007 RS4 starter button-2007 RS4 inner door handles- A4 DTM carbon front splitter
    1994 UK MX5 in rare Laguna Blue
    2003 Yamaha R1 (5PW) Tech Silver - not standard !

Status
    Reading the manual is not a lot of help Andy as it says bulbs can only be changed by your Audi dealer - quite unbelievable even for Audi.
    The drivers side sidelight can be replaced without removing the headlight as there's plenty of space, it's the passenger side that's a real pain, and main beams really need the whole light out. Just unclip the back section, twist and turn the thing in the way (sorry no idea what it is, but it twists out), then pull the sidelight bulb out and replace.
    "How to tear apart the ties that bind, perhaps fcuk off might be too kind"
    Alex Turner

shifting to Hyperspace... .

Status
    RTFM - I was originally surprised that you must return to the "stealer" to undertake any bulb changes!! Needless to say I ignored this recommendation and got my hands a little dirty.

LED 501 sidelight equivalents that do work, truly "Plug and Play", with no errors on DIS........
    http://www.ultraleds.co.uk/501194t10...te-p-1545.html
    (as recommended by quattrojames recently)
    2001 A4 Saloon 3.0 Quattro Sport Tiptronic - Platinum Leather/Heated Front Seats/BOSE/DIS/Cruise Control
    Retrofits:GmBH Bumpers, F&R Ambient LEDS, OEM Valeo Xenons (D2S) & Headlight Washers, Auto-dipping RVM, Footwell Lights, Vent Control illumination, ISO-Fix, RNS-E & OEM Bluetooth + VIMhack + Video i-pod & Aux inputs, Rear PDC, Powerflow 100mm Tips, Reversing Camera
    2012 A4 Saloon 2.0 TDIe Technik (163ps)
    Diagnostics:VCDS HEX+USB+CAN Cable

Status
    Yeh I think its a f**** joke that you have to take it to the dealer to have it changed. I think its completely DISGUSTING - as I bet they ain't going to change a 20p bulb without charging for it !

I think this sort of thing is a BASIC item that should be able to be changed - you might as well stick some bloody stupid locking tool on the alloys so that only the dealer can remove them if thats the case.
    NOw I'm sure the Police would take a dim view if you were stopped at the side of the road and told them that you can't change the bulb as it had to be done by a dealer.

My Mk4 Golf company car said the same - take it back to the dealer ....... Its just taking the p*** !!!
    B6 1.8T Sport Cabriolet - Ebony Black & Red Sports Leather-19" Sportec Mono10s-Bootlip spoiler-One touch roof module-Green Cotton filter-Forge 007 - 2007 rear lamps-2007 OEM interior dimming compass mirror-OEM S4 heated, elec folding, dimming aluminium door mirrors-2007 RS4 cabriolet exhaust-2007 RS4 Carbon trim-2007 RS4 starter button-2007 RS4 inner door handles- A4 DTM carbon front splitter

Status
    Woorlord, those Ultra bulbs don't look like they have any ballast resistors built in, it states low power consumption, but nothing about being able to be used in bulb error warning cars.

Andy

shifting to Hyperspace... .

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by andyccr View Post
    Woorlord, those Ultra bulbs don't look like they have any ballast resistors built in, it states low power consumption, but nothing about being able to be used in bulb error warning cars.

Andy
    Having been down the path of trying some 4xLED 501 equivs that just flashed, I too was a bit skeptical (from my own electronics engineering background) - but then got into a thread and found that "quattrojames" had found a "PLUG & PLAY" solution....... 9xLED 501 replacement not requiring any balast resistor mods. and NO flashing side lights and NO DIS errors!!

Check out this other thread........
    Xenon Kit A4 Avant question
    Xenon Kit A4 Avant question
    You are in there somewhere yourself!!
    I have posted some pictures too.

If your still not convinced pop up the A12 and see for yourself
    2001 A4 Saloon 3.0 Quattro Sport Tiptronic - Platinum Leather/Heated Front Seats/BOSE/DIS/Cruise Control
    Retrofits:GmBH Bumpers, F&R Ambient LEDS, OEM Valeo Xenons (D2S) & Headlight Washers, Auto-dipping RVM, Footwell Lights, Vent Control illumination, ISO-Fix, RNS-E & OEM Bluetooth + VIMhack + Video i-pod & Aux inputs, Rear PDC, Powerflow 100mm Tips, Reversing Camera
    2012 A4 Saloon 2.0 TDIe Technik (163ps)
    Diagnostics:VCDS HEX+USB+CAN Cable

Space Cowboy

Status
    the bypass resistor will be built in, SMD resistors are extremely small even for a few watts power capacity and could easily be hidden in the centre of the "bulb" so you wouldnt see them.

Oddly enough they sell a ballast "box" for bulb failure warning issues...
    Last edited by evilscotsman; 8th September 2008 at 20:32.
    B4 TDI - old skool project / daily driver...if it ain't broke, it's probably an Audi...

Status
    cool, might order some then !!

Space Cowboy

Status
    yeah me too, and the indicators, brake & tail lights, reversing lamps etc, all in superbright led's and virtually indestructible in normal use!

Im also going to try and replace the white dash lights on the instruments with red or blue or purple (Ultraviolet??? mmmm) instead of the moonglow ones it comes with, the B5 had all red lighting and it looked coolas fook, the white of the new one just isnt the same.
    B4 TDI - old skool project / daily driver...if it ain't broke, it's probably an Audi...

Status

My Social Networking

Follow quattrojames On Twitter Add quattrojames on Facebook

Andy
    They do work Andy, trust me
    Ingolstance Read about my A6 HERE.

1st Gear

Status

Of course you could always RTFM (read the ******* manual !!!!) to find out how to change the bulbs !!!!

Regards,

Andy

LOL, as already mentioned by somebody else, all the "f*****g manual" says is to take the car to your nearest dealer (which I did when my headlight bulb needed replacing at a cost of 29.99!!)

Anyway I decided to buy a bulb last night and replace it. To change the sidelight I removed the air filter housing and unclipped the headlight cover at the back of the unit, twist the plug and remove, fit new bulb and refit everything. It took all of 5 minutes (I did it on Halfords car park lol)

54 A4 Avant 1.9TDi SE 130 6sp, factory fitted RNS-E Sat Nav, Colour DIS, 6-disk changer, Bluetooth, rear parking sensors and ambient lighting.

Status
    I remember buying a new headlight bulb from Halfords and the girl cashier asked if I wanted someone to fit it. I had to laugh then thinking back would have loved to have seen one of their monkeys trying to work out how to get to the bloody thing.
    "How to tear apart the ties that bind, perhaps fcuk off might be too kind"
    Alex Turner