Engine temperature at 50! 1.8T cab

zeratul

Reaction score
Hi, came to work this morning and after driving for 10 minutes notived that the needle on the temperature guage was still reading 50 and not 90!

Can I presume that this could just be a simple thing to fix like replacing a sensor in the engine bay? The engine is running normally and performs the same.

I wouldn't assume its something simple, get it properly checked over as you could be cooking it. 1.8T's are renowned for the water pump failing due to the plastic impellar breaking up and this can give the simptoms you've quoted as no water is moving around.

Would you believe it - it went straight back to 90 on the way home! just hope
its doesn't do it again. Thanks for your input anyway. :)

More likely temp sender, as said it would overheat if it was the water pump and thermostat stuck open would still give a reading above 50. Let it idle for 10-15 minutes and if it doesn't rise then, it can't be the thermostat.

Hi,

Mines been doing the same for a couple of months now. Been to 2 garages and still no solution. It's recently been in for a whole week and had the thermostat and all the sensors changed but still no difference, gauge works sometimes but not others!
The car is ok to drive and the fan still cuts in if it gets hot so I gather it is just the gauge and not something more sinister.
If anyones knows the answer to this dilema I'd be really grateful as although it doesn't stop me using the car it's really annoying and I don't know hat to try next!

Stu