Tiptronic Tranny failure S4 cab

s4cabbie

Reaction score
Hi, I'm keen to hear from any s4 owners who have an auto 6-speed tiptronic box. I collected mt new S4 cabriolet 10 days ago and experienced problems with the auto box. At constant low speed throttle the revs would fluctuate - not wildly but enough to know that something was wrong. The dealer has been told by Audi to fit a new box and one is on back-order. Reading other posts there seems to have been a lot of owners with problems with manual boxes but I wanted to get feedback from tiptronic owners. The dealer says my problem appears related to water contamination of the gearbox fluid but they have no idea how it might have happened. I'm very worried now, should I get ready to reject the car or wait and see what the outcome of the repair is? <font color="blue"> </font>

I've had no problems with the tiptronic box at all. I bought car as demo with 5k miles, now up to 8k miles. Much prefer this transmission to the manual I drove, although the changes are only really good in S mode - it tends to slur too much in D for my liking.

But I'd push for rejection after a failure so soon.

No problems on my S4 Cab, I think its just going to be a one-off cross contamination problem that must have happened in the factory. I'd be happy with the replacement box depending on how long it takes, plus i'd also want a 'goodwill gesture' off the deal.

The problem with rejecting the S4 Cab, is how will a replacement take to get? You could end up waiting a 3-4 months to get one the same spec again.

The bottom line is that a car of that age should not be having that sort of problem.

Sent it back, ask them to replace the car or refund your money.

Simply asking them to carry out the repairs is letting them off their contractual obligations to you. Letting dealers off in these types of situation is precisely why we get so many sitiations like this in our day to day lives. We should expect better and are entitled to do so.

Morning all /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Have an S4 manual - no probs - and never liked the A6 4.2 and S6 autos I drove a few years ago as the gearboxes were far too slow to respond to those on my Mercs. Fancy a new shape S6 Avant when they come out so hopefully Audi autos are now as good as Mercedes!

Sorry about your problems. In theory you should ask for a new car but in the real world it depends on how spec sensitive you are and therefore what in the network is acceptable. If you wait for a new car you will miss the summer. I bet a few months after you get a new gearbox you'll have forgotten it ever happened.