what do you think? 17" wheels?

RyU

Reaction score
too small? only reason i ask is i seen a nice set come up real cheap, only need a minor refurb...

Personally I wouldnt say they were too small, but it depends what look you are after? What wheels are they as the design can make a difference to how big or small they look, as can whether or not your car is lowered. Theres plenty of people on here who will say 17 or even 18 is too small, but its quite subjective really! If you really want 18 or more it might pay to hang on to get what you really want - good deals will always come round again!

Yours is the 2.5TDi saloon yeh? So I guess you are running 16's now?

If you go for 17's you will always regret it (like I did). The only 17's that look big enough are the S4 Avus wheels. 18's are the perfect size. Some will argue 19's are needed but then you're into more expensive rubber and compromised ride comfort I would suspect.

me personally, i would say 19s are the best looks wise, but yes u do have to comprimise on more expensive rubber. i went from 18s-19s and noticed no change in ride comfort. 18s are cool but as said it really depends on the look your going for.

The 190 came standard with 17's and i upgraded to 18's - one inch did make a difference. So size does matter lol

:keule:I said it before and ill say it again, 19's!!!

Yeah the tyres cost more than 18's but...
1. they aint way too expensive than the 18's
and 2. Its not like you are going to be buying tyres every time you fill up so why not, Ive done over 9000mls on my tyres (19's) and they still have plenty plenty tread left!! Thats in 18 months....

If you look at it that way just put a fiver in a jar every week and it'll help quilt the blow when having to fork out for mew ones!:jester:

Hope you don't mind me jumping on this thread... I think I have some slight damage to one of my 19" rims - it is barely noticeable by eye, but every few weeks or so the tyre goes flat. It's not the tyre itself, or the valve, and my local fitter does seem to think it is a slight warping of the rim causing a less-than-perfect fit with the tyre. So, I have to decide - do I try to get the rim repaired (if this is even possible) or do I replace them? If I did replace them it would probably be with some 17"s as I have been considering down-sizing for a while. Any thoughts? Thanks, Ade

It could be one of a few things. Either the alloy is warped or cracked. Either way, i personally wouldnt get it repaired as it might compromise the integrity of the wheel.

And as a 19 incher myself (oo-er :D ) Id have to say only go 17" if they are of amazing quality, schmidt etc and you are planning a hefty drop.

17's are a waste of time/money & look crappy & small, 18's are overall better for several reasons, 1 ride comfort & 2nd cost for new tyres, but I had my S4 B6 with 19's the RS6 replicas which we're IMHO the best for that car, but ride on the 19's could be a little harsh somedays, but looks wise, couldnt get better, as for tyres, I just buy new wheels & tyres as its cheaper doing that than buying new tyres alone, lol, really is, ridiculous as it sounds.

Hope you don't mind me jumping on this thread... I think I have some slight damage to one of my 19" rims - it is barely noticeable by eye, but every few weeks or so the tyre goes flat. It's not the tyre itself, or the valve, and my local fitter does seem to think it is a slight warping of the rim causing a less-than-perfect fit with the tyre. So, I have to decide - do I try to get the rim repaired (if this is even possible) or do I replace them? If I did replace them it would probably be with some 17"s as I have been considering down-sizing for a while. Any thoughts? Thanks, Ade

Mate I had the same thing on my S3 20's & tyre went flat due to slightly buckle, dont think of me as a cowboy by any means, but all I did was got a mallet & knocked it back in, since that day I never had an issue & sold the car & they didnt report a problem either, to save yourself time/money just do as I did, mallet that area back into shape & it should be fine, just avoid potholes if its even possible these days & you'll be fine.

18" if you want comfort ride as a daily driver. I have my 18" KAHN RSV on my a4 cabrio and i love the ride...............19" ,ay look better (sometimes they look too big for particular cars) but i believe you sacrifice a lot from your comfort.