EM TuningSky Insurance
    1st Gear

Status

Cleaning inside of instrument cluster

My instrument cluster is all grubby inside - dust etc. I know how to get the steering wheel off, how do I then get the cluster out and get the glass out etc...

Cheers

Chas
    A4 2004 - 1.8TQ Limited Edition, 6 spd, Recaro Interior
    Mods - RNS-e (MK2); Rear Screens; PS2; AMI; Cruise; DIS; 18" RS6s; Carbonio CAI; Milltek CAT; Milltek CAT back Exhaust; Shark Stage 2 ReMap; RS4 RARB; HIDS; Auto Dim Rear View; RS4 Pedals, Gear Stick & Handbrake; Forge DV; Black Optics; Retro Fit Black Headlining; Retro Fit Power Folding Mirrors
    Mods to come - Memory seats; rear electric windows

2. # ADS
    ADS

Back from the dead

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by chasdrury View Post
    My instrument cluster is all grubby inside - dust etc. I know how to get the steering wheel off, how do I then get the cluster out and get the glass out etc...

Cheers

Chas

You don't have to take the steering wheel off to get the cluster out, just pull it as far forward and down as it will go. Then pull the black plastic trim off from between the mode and check buttons, and it will reveal 2 torx screws (sorry, can't remember the size) quite far back which hold the cluster in place: remove these. Then open the drivers door and pull off the end-trim which hides the fuses and you should be able to put your hand in behind the cluster and push it out from the back. There are a few sharp bits in behind there and if you're not careful (like I wasn't) you might scratch your arm up pretty badly if it's a bit reluctant to pop out! Once it does come free though, and semi-out, remove the two multi-plugs which connect it to the car electronics and hey-presto.

As for then prising off the front to get inside, I haven't done that bit but I read somewhere that the plastic outer cover is held in with clips, so it shouldn't be too tricky. Hope this helps!

Cheers,
    Ade
    Last edited by A4Ade; 17th July 2008 at 12:15.

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by A4Ade View Post
    You don't have to take the steering wheel off to get the cluster out, just pull it as far forward and down as it will go. Then pull the black plastic trim off from between the mode and check buttons, and it will reveal 2 torx screws (sorry, can't remember the size) quite far back which hold the cluster in place: remove these. Then open the drivers door and pull off the end-trim which hides the fuses and you should be able to put your hand in behind the cluster and push it out from the back. There are a few sharp bits in behind there and if you're not careful (like I wasn't) you might scratch your arm up pretty badly if it's a bit reluctant to pop out! Once it does come free though, and semi-out, remove the two multi-plugs which connect it to the car electronics and hey-presto.

As for then prising off the front to get inside, I haven't done that bit but I read somewhere that the plastic outer cover is held in with clips, so it shouldn't be too tricky. Hope this helps!

Cheers,
    Ade

How do you remove this bit? Is it just a case of pulling it off or do you have to pull it in a certain direction?

Mines full of dust, been wanting to do it for ages.

54 A4 Avant 1.9TDi SE 130 6sp, factory fitted RNS-E Sat Nav, Colour DIS, 6-disk changer, Bluetooth, rear parking sensors and ambient lighting.

Back from the dead

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Slinger View Post
    How do you remove this bit [the black plastic trim from between the mode and check buttons]? Is it just a case of pulling it off or do you have to pull it in a certain direction?
    Just pull it forward (there're no clips or anything) - it slides out towards you.

Reverse Gear

Status
    Instrument Cluster Removal & Cleaning:

http://www.audiworld.com/tech/int64.shtml

Best Regards from Paris (FR)

1st Gear

Status
    Perfect, thanks!

54 A4 Avant 1.9TDi SE 130 6sp, factory fitted RNS-E Sat Nav, Colour DIS, 6-disk changer, Bluetooth, rear parking sensors and ambient lighting.