Cleaning inside of instrument cluster

chasdrury

Reaction score
My instrument cluster is all grubby inside - dust etc. I know how to get the steering wheel off, how do I then get the cluster out and get the glass out etc...

Cheers

Chas

My instrument cluster is all grubby inside - dust etc. I know how to get the steering wheel off, how do I then get the cluster out and get the glass out etc...

Cheers

Chas

You don't have to take the steering wheel off to get the cluster out, just pull it as far forward and down as it will go. Then pull the black plastic trim off from between the mode and check buttons, and it will reveal 2 torx screws (sorry, can't remember the size) quite far back which hold the cluster in place: remove these. Then open the drivers door and pull off the end-trim which hides the fuses and you should be able to put your hand in behind the cluster and push it out from the back. There are a few sharp bits in behind there and if you're not careful (like I wasn't) you might scratch your arm up pretty badly if it's a bit reluctant to pop out! Once it does come free though, and semi-out, remove the two multi-plugs which connect it to the car electronics and hey-presto.

As for then prising off the front to get inside, I haven't done that bit but I read somewhere that the plastic outer cover is held in with clips, so it shouldn't be too tricky. Hope this helps!

Cheers,
Ade

You don't have to take the steering wheel off to get the cluster out, just pull it as far forward and down as it will go. Then pull the black plastic trim off from between the mode and check buttons, and it will reveal 2 torx screws (sorry, can't remember the size) quite far back which hold the cluster in place: remove these. Then open the drivers door and pull off the end-trim which hides the fuses and you should be able to put your hand in behind the cluster and push it out from the back. There are a few sharp bits in behind there and if you're not careful (like I wasn't) you might scratch your arm up pretty badly if it's a bit reluctant to pop out! Once it does come free though, and semi-out, remove the two multi-plugs which connect it to the car electronics and hey-presto.

As for then prising off the front to get inside, I haven't done that bit but I read somewhere that the plastic outer cover is held in with clips, so it shouldn't be too tricky. Hope this helps!

Cheers,
Ade

How do you remove this bit? Is it just a case of pulling it off or do you have to pull it in a certain direction?

Mines full of dust, been wanting to do it for ages.

How do you remove this bit [the black plastic trim from between the mode and check buttons]? Is it just a case of pulling it off or do you have to pull it in a certain direction?

Just pull it forward (there're no clips or anything) - it slides out towards you.