My MAF has just Shot it I think

J7USS

Shuddup Foooool!!
Reaction score
Driving my car home and noticed my Boost through the induction sounded louder than usual, my power was getting weaker, in fact it has been for past couple of weeks, dunno whether its me or not but seems Ive been filling up more regular too....
anyway coming up the road and sudden judder then 'plup' the engine lost power and died. Managed to pull over safely to the side and got out, checked under my bonnet and my Cat was playing the clicking tune to me, I thought Coilpack again (even though I changed all 4 about a month ago)... So I did the 'unplug the MAF' bit and started her up, She stayed Idling and didnt cut out anymore, managed to crawl home, Boost still sounded loud through the induction but it actually drove without frog hopping and cutting out, so Id say its the MAF problem.

Im going to buy a new one tomorrow but how much are these?Never bought one and dont think my car has had one since day one, been looking through the service records.

Shall I Go stealers? Eurocar parts?

My mate says it will cost me around £80..Hope it aint £220+ ive been seeing through past threads!!!:no:

Dont you just hate it when that happens - I hope it is just £80 - good luck mate.

Yeah ****** does aswell, I dont know, You treat them nice, buy them a new outfit and they still **** on you!!

Cheers Pav :thumbsup:

Yeah ****** does aswell, I dont know, You treat them nice, buy them a new outfit and they still **** on you!!

This is excatly what happened to me and my old car! Spent lots of money on it doing various upgrades and then near enough every month sometimes every week! a new problem arises. My dashboard was like blackpool illuminations.

Hope you get it sorted soon so then we can meet up!

Sorry to hear you've had a problem with her mate, looking absolutely stunning BTW!

For future reference, whre is the Maf sensor and what does it look like, I don't think mine has ever been changed either so I'm pre empting it.

Always the case aint it. im hoping the new MAF is going to iron out the little probs I could sense for the past few weeks, You just know dont you when your Car just doesnt feel right!!

Oh yeah defo mate. Ill get everything sorted and we'll meet up!!!:beerchug:

Sorry to hear that, you know somebody once said to me that this sh!t happens because we ask so much of our cars, in other words drive a Nissan Micra, leave it standard, dont use 4th gear, keep speed below 25MPH, only drive on sundays and only then in good weather, avoid any form of risk whatsoever, slow to 10MPH for any form of corner and all will be well! but would we really want to??

It was the same for me twenty five years ago, would throw lots of TLC at my V8 MG but it always let me down, in between though it was so much fun so what the heck!

Hope you get it sorted

It might be your MAF Juss, but I had similar symptoms last year and that was due to the hoses on the dump valve coming off. That would also explain the increased noise and the stalling. Have a quick look to see that none of the boost hoses hae become loose before shelling out. Also you can get a MAF for around £45 on eBay and that does the job too.

Sorry to hear you've had a problem with her mate, looking absolutely stunning BTW!

For future reference, whre is the Maf sensor and what does it look like, I don't think mine has ever been changed either so I'm pre empting it.

Thanks Andy!
Your MAF is located just before your air filter box, Has a plug that fits into the side of it!

It might be your MAF Juss, but I had similar symptoms last year and that was due to the hoses on the dump valve coming off. That would also explain the increased noise and the stalling. Have a quick look to see that none of the boost hoses hae become loose before shelling out. Also you can get a MAF for around £45 on eBay and that does the job too.

Yeah I thought that straight away, sounded just like it too. Had a quick look last night but was getting dark, going to have another check this morning before I buy a new one.
Think its going to be the maf though because soon as I disconnected it, it managed to stay ticking over and actually drove whereas when I was trying to start it with the MAF still connected it just kept dying on me.Couldnt even move a meter!!!

Ive looked on Ebay but thing is I need it right now so looks like im going to have pay the extra :sorry:

Golf you was right again, It was my botom hose, shot otu my Hyperboost Valve! ****** thing, thats Twice now...
Got it sorted now, loads better, Got a quote for a Maf aswell from Euro just incase, £56 + Vat on an exhange basis.not bad.
Stealers were ****** useless, £84 + vat.couldnt get me one till middle of next week either!! Faccckin useless!!

DSC00244.JPG
here is that pic i promised you j7uss.
i had the turbo pipe problem keep splitting 3 times on my old s3,in the end they upgrade it and all was well.

i got my maf sensort from gsf the other week, for under £70 inc vat on an exchange basis for a bosch one

the "plup" sound always means a hose has blown off on the boost side lol :) Its a common occurrence on remapped cars with more boost!

The pipe clamps are torqued to a factory setting that will resist the stock boost, but when you increase it.....it can go pop! If you remap, you should beef up all the boost hose clips to proper bulldog jubilee's, they wont let go.

I did Evil the first time it happened, bet I didnt tighten the bottom ones enough. Bit awkward as I didnt go from under the car when changing my Valve.
Ive made sure though they are tight as **** now, I snapped the thread on the 1st one because I was going toooooo tight,lol...

Must have been leaking for a while though because my Suction Induction noise isnt as loud which Im happy about :)

Glad you got it sorted mate I saved you a fair bit of dosh there.

Send some to me.

Cheers lads, Yep Golf you certainly did because to be honest I couldnt be ****'d and was just going to buy a MAF but then I thought well I better check just incase!!!! Bonus - Drinks on me!!:beerchug:

1wheel - I like them screens mate, looks nice and neat.Can imagine the feeling slicing through the leather :sadlike:

Hey Scots, you got your Valve sorted yet anyway, you was buying a new one wasnt you??