Volks AutosEM Tuning
    04 A4 1.8t 190 S-Line

Status

double din upgrade

Hi guys. Just got a 6.5" lcd double din screen for my dash. i currentley have a single din concert stereo and heard a vicious whisper that i would need to get a different climate control unit than the one i have with the single din unit. bought a new double din housing unit from vagparts to take the double din, but surley the climate control units are the same size and its just the size of the stereo that is different, ie single din/double din. as much info on this would be invaluble. thanks again.

2. # ADS
    ADS

Damn it where's 7th gear when you need it?!

Status
    Doh, if only you hadnt bought the cage, i've still got mine & keep meaning to ebay it!! Anyway, in answer to your question the double din climate unit is slightly more tappered at the sides than in a single din system. This is because the unit is mounted at the bottom of the centre consol & it gets narrower at the botton. It however is operationally the same unit, many people simply file/plane down the edges of their existing climate unit so it fits in the double din cage. There are some comprehensive instructions on navplus.us as how to do a double din conversion, it gets messy as you have to pull the car apart a fair bit but its just undoing a lot of screws at the end of the day, then putting then back again!! Other alternative is look out on ebay for the right model double din climate unit & sell you single din one, beware of buying an incompatible model though, eg one from a B7 chassis, it wont work in your B6!!
    A4 3.0 Quattro Sport - Gone & missed everyday!

Current road going missile.....

........Smart Roadster - arguably the most fun you can have in a car without using lube!!

RAA RAA like a dungeon dragon!

Status
    no they are different.
    if you have a single din cage then you need a single din unit and if you have a double din cage you need the double din climate control unit. i have just done a double din to single din conversion only because i bought a new control unit with heated switches for my new seats when i went to fit it it didn't fit so I had to change the din cage. The unit on the single din sits higher in the unit and has a cubby whole space at the bottom where as the double din sits lower with no space at the bottom and because of the shape of the unit it wont fit, the single is too big for the double and visa versa. also you my have to change your ashtray if you do not have good D.I.Y skills as they are different too. but i customized mine and cut a bit away from the cubby hole tray of the single din cage to get around it. but if you are going from single to double this may not work. My double din climate control unit is on sale now on ebay- (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...MESE:IT&ih=002) but you need to be quick only 1 day left.
    Now taking this all into consideration i'm not sure how your LCD screen would fit into this. Is it an audi one? The reason i ask is because if you had a single din chorus stereo and climate control in your console i'm thinking that would only leave enough space to fit an additional unit the same size of a normal car stereo. i'm not sure though i think you need to measure up mate. i think you may have to make a custom MDF panel and customize your onsole for that to fit. interesting to see if someone has done it and if it does all fit in without customisation.

RAA RAA like a dungeon dragon!

Status
    just thought i may have misunderstood you. when you say lcd screen do you mean that you are getting rid of the concert stereo and fitting AUDI NAVIGATION PLUS RNS-E DVD BASED SYSTEM?? if you are then the double din climate control should fit at the bottom. if it is just an aftermarket LCD screen that you are connecting another dvd player etc to then what i said above maybe the case.

04 A4 1.8t 190 S-Line

Status
    its not a audi satnav cocain, its just one i got off ebay with built in tv. i have measured it and it will need a plate of some sort round the edge as it is a little smaller than the audi rns-e. my a4 has heated seats too so the one someone linked me from ebay wont suffice, but thanks for the knowledge. jeez, i thought it would be a fairley simple thing to do. not doing it myself, i have a mate who is a autospark who will be doing it. guess i will have to trawl ebay for a double din climate unit with heated seat control in. some on ebay are going for 200, bit steep i thought.

04 A4 1.8t 190 S-Line

Status
    thanks nickynibbles for the heads up on that climate unit if it had heated seat function it would have been perfect.

04 A4 1.8t 190 S-Line

Status

a4 cab climate control

right i have found a a4 b6 cab climate control unit on ebay for 100. will this fit my saloon a4?

4th Gear

Status
    single din it would not double though
    EBONY PEARL 2003 1.8T SPORT GMBH 190 AVANT 19" GALLARDO,S S4 SILVER SILK NAPPA HEATED RECARO,S MATT ALI MIRRORS,O.CT INTAKE PIPE, B7 DTM VOTEX SKIRTS, HYPERBOOST HX DIVERTER VALVE, RS4 DOORCARDS+TRIGGERS, AUTO-DIMMING REAR VIEW MIRROR, RS4 BRUSHED ALI TRIM, RS4 START BUTTON, PIPERCROSS PANEL FILTER, RIEGER INFINITY FRONT BUMPER:: NOW REMAP,D TO 240 ISH BHP OMG WHAT A DIFFERENCE

Damn it where's 7th gear when you need it?!

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by chris a4 128 View Post
    right i have found a a4 b6 cab climate control unit on ebay for 100. will this fit my saloon a4?
    Not likely, the cabs centre consol tapers slightly different to the saloons so doubt it would fit properly! Your exisiting unit WILL fit, it just needs the sides trimmed a little to fit into the lower slot on the double din cage, it just needs gently filing down testing all the time until it fits perfectly. This has been done umpteen times by people, this guide from navplus.com explains the start to finish of a single to double din conversion. This is the simplest & cheapest way of ensuring you wont have any compatibility problems with the climate unit, plus you know it works for sure!!
    A4 3.0 Quattro Sport - Gone & missed everyday!

Current road going missile.....

........Smart Roadster - arguably the most fun you can have in a car without using lube!!

cabriolet

Status
    i fitted a double din in mine and had to do everything your doing, i trimmed my climate down myself, ITS A PIECE OF CAKE mate.
    LOTS DONE, LOTS SPENT !!!!