Monster MotorsportJMB Retrofits

Status

My Social Networking

Follow quattrojames On Twitter Add quattrojames on Facebook

A4 Avant - Rear ambient light installation.

The installation of ambient LED’s into the front of the car is a common mod covered frequently on these pages I’m sure, but I thought I would go for an installation in the rear courtesy lights too! So I bought two of these from the ever helpful Vagparts:

https://sslrelay.com/s74326199.oneandoneshop.co.uk/sess/utn;jsessionid=15486a93c9cff6f/shopdata/index.shopscript

I did the front at the same time and it literally takes 10 minutes as the LED’s just plug into the existing harness in the light housing, courtesy of the below guide expertly written by a chap off tyresmoke forum.:

http://www.harddrive.plus.com/A4Page.htm

Initially I thought I would have to run a power supply from the front lights as I only want the LED’s to be illuminated when the vehicle lights are on, but then I remembered that the courtesy light buttons are illuminated when the vehicle lights are on. The light consists of a housing with a circuit board that clips into it and connects to the loom plug in the roof:

I disconnected this circuit board and replugged it into the roof loom and used a circuit tester to find which parts of the board were live with the headlights on and noted these connectors. I then marked and drilled the two holes in light housing for the LED’s to shine through. I then just used a dab of superglue on them to hold it in place before the circuit board was reattached:

Due to the bulk of the LED holder it was necessary to trim about 3mm of plastic from the underneath of the loom plug sonnet, two minutes work with a Stanley knife. Once the circuit board was reattached I soldered the LED connections to the two live feeds I had earmarked earlier:

And reassembled:

The complete unit is then pushed back into the roof and when the lights are on a nice red ambient light fills the car front and rear :

(Sadly like a d1ck the marks I used to centralise the holes before I drilled them was central to the hidden part of the light housing, but not the visible part - D'OH! - TBH whilst it is visible that the LED's aren't quite central it's very hard to spot when the lights are installed as you look at the throw of the light rather than the light itself. Neverthless I will be replace it in due course as it will bug me otherwise!)

I tried to photograph this ambience, but in reality to a camera at least it just looks like darkness!!

Ingolstance Read about my A6 HERE.

2. # ADS
    ADS

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by quattrojames View Post

I tried to photograph this ambience, but in reality to a camera at least it just looks like darkness!!
    Like this?

I did my one about 3 years ago
    A4 Avant S-Line quattro - Avus Silver/Silver Half Leather *240ps*346nm* - a few choice mods. Now Stared up ;-)

Status

My Social Networking

Quote Originally Posted by bubstar View Post
    Like this?

I did my one about 3 years ago
    Got any bigger pics? lol

Yes thats right, you must have better camera/skills than me! Did you fit yours the same way?

1st Gear

Status
    you could have drilled the holes in the middle :P

looks very good, i need to do mine

Status

My Social Networking

Quote Originally Posted by roy_barber99 View Post
    you could have drilled the holes in the middle :P

looks very good, i need to do mine
    Cheers. and:

Quote Originally Posted by quattrojames View Post
    (Sadly like a d1ck the marks I used to centralise the holes before I drilled them was central to the hidden part of the light housing, but not the visible part - D'OH! - TBH whilst it is visible that the LED's aren't quite central it's very hard to spot when the lights are installed as you look at the throw of the light rather than the light itself. Neverthless I will be replace it in due course as it will bug me otherwise!)

1st Gear

Status
    just wanted to wind you up :P

1st Gear

Status
    Looks really good, works really well with the Black roof.
    |Present: 2005 B7 Audi A4 Avant 2.0T FSI Quattro S-Line|DIS|Phatbox|Aircon'd Glove Box|Ambiant Light Pack|
    |Gf's Motor: 2003 8L Audi A3 18.T Sport | Standard |
    |Previously: SEAT LEON FR TDI|German Spec Corrado G60 JET LHD|Mk2 Golf Cab|Mk2 Fiesta 1.4s|

Status

My Social Networking

Quote Originally Posted by roy_barber99 View Post
    just wanted to wind you up :P
    Thanks, but I'm over it now. Nearly.

trx
    Reverse Gear

Status
    I wanna do this but i only want the leds to come on when the door opens... Is this possible... Also has anyone a link to the led unit or part no etc..

Cheers
    trx

T0m
    2nd Gear

Status
    TRX there will be no point them coming on when you open the door as your interior lights come on also so it defeats the point of them really no?!

Reverse Gear

Status
    Would anyone be kind enough to post the part number of the map reading light please? For some reason mine has only the one light, one switch type fitted!

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by eallin View Post
    Would anyone be kind enough to post the part number of the map reading light please? For some reason mine has only the one light, one switch type fitted!
    I'm guessing you have a saloon and not Avant? I was thinking the same thing, swap the rear light for the Avant model then mod for ambient light. I guess the question is will the avant rear light work in the saloon (straight swap)? If so we're laughing. Can anyone confirm the swap will work?
    A4 (07) 2.0T FSI S Line - Dolphin Grey

Mods: Remap, DIS, Washer Bottle sensor, AUX Input, Ambient Light, Puddle/Warning Lights, Aftermarket SATNAV/DVD, VAG-COM Tweaks.

Future Mods:
    B5 Caps, H&R Springs, 19's

The're Graphite not black!!

Status
    Woorlord who is a member on here sells these lighting kits with full pics, took me less than 2 hours todo both front and rear

Official Fan Club member No 001!!

shifting to Hyperspace... .

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by yorkster001 View Post
    I'm guessing you have a saloon and not Avant? I was thinking the same thing, swap the rear light for the Avant model then mod for ambient light. I guess the question is will the avant rear light work in the saloon (straight swap)? If so we're laughing. Can anyone confirm the swap will work?

Either of the above lights are compatible in-car, but the top light can only be modded for Ambient LED Lighting.

You may find this post very interesting too!
    Last edited by Woorlord; 19th February 2011 at 16:56.
    2001 A4 Saloon 3.0 Quattro Sport Tiptronic - Platinum Leather/Heated Front Seats/BOSE/DIS/Cruise Control
    Retrofits:GmBH Bumpers, F&R Ambient LEDS, OEM Valeo Xenons (D2S) & Headlight Washers, Auto-dipping RVM, Footwell Lights, Vent Control illumination, ISO-Fix, RNS-E & OEM Bluetooth + VIMhack + Video i-pod & Aux inputs, Rear PDC, Powerflow 100mm Tips, Reversing Camera
    2012 A4 Saloon 2.0 TDIe Technik (163ps)
    Diagnostics:VCDS HEX+USB+CAN Cable