A4 Avant - Rear ambient light installation.

quattrojames

Staff member
Reaction score
The installation of ambient LED’s into the front of the car is a common mod covered frequently on these pages I’m sure, but I thought I would go for an installation in the rear courtesy lights too! So I bought two of these from the ever helpful Vagparts:

https://sslrelay.com/s74326199.oneandoneshop.co.uk/sess/utn;jsessionid=15486a93c9cff6f/shopdata/index.shopscript

I did the front at the same time and it literally takes 10 minutes as the LED’s just plug into the existing harness in the light housing, courtesy of the below guide expertly written by a chap off tyresmoke forum.:

http://www.harddrive.plus.com/A4Page.htm

:think: Initially I thought I would have to run a power supply from the front lights as I only want the LED’s to be illuminated when the vehicle lights are on, but then I remembered that the courtesy light buttons are illuminated when the vehicle lights are on. The light consists of a housing with a circuit board that clips into it and connects to the loom plug in the roof:

DSC00062.jpg

I disconnected this circuit board and replugged it into the roof loom and used a circuit tester to find which parts of the board were live with the headlights on and noted these connectors. I then marked and drilled the two holes in light housing for the LED’s to shine through. I then just used a dab of superglue on them to hold it in place before the circuit board was reattached:

Ambient4.jpg

Due to the bulk of the LED holder it was necessary to trim about 3mm of plastic from the underneath of the loom plug sonnet, two minutes work with a Stanley knife. Once the circuit board was reattached I soldered the LED connections to the two live feeds I had earmarked earlier:

Ambient3edit.jpg

And reassembled:

Ambient1.jpg

The complete unit is then pushed back into the roof and when the lights are on a nice red ambient light fills the car front and rear :o.k: :

(Sadly like a d1ck the marks I used to centralise the holes before I drilled them was central to the hidden part of the light housing, but not the visible part - D'OH! - TBH whilst it is visible that the LED's aren't quite central it's very hard to spot when the lights are installed as you look at the throw of the light rather than the light itself. Neverthless I will be replace it in due course as it will bug me otherwise!) :Flush:

DSC00068.jpg

I tried to photograph this ambience, but in reality to a camera at least it just looks like darkness!!

:hi:

you could have drilled the holes in the middle :p

looks very good, i need to do mine :)

you could have drilled the holes in the middle :p

looks very good, i need to do mine :)

Cheers. and:

(Sadly like a d1ck the marks I used to centralise the holes before I drilled them was central to the hidden part of the light housing, but not the visible part - D'OH! - TBH whilst it is visible that the LED's aren't quite central it's very hard to spot when the lights are installed as you look at the throw of the light rather than the light itself. Neverthless I will be replace it in due course as it will bug me otherwise!) :Flush:

:banghead:

Looks really good, works really well with the Black roof.

I wanna do this but i only want the leds to come on when the door opens... Is this possible... Also has anyone a link to the led unit or part no etc..

Cheers
trx

TRX there will be no point them coming on when you open the door as your interior lights come on also so it defeats the point of them really no?!

Would anyone be kind enough to post the part number of the map reading light please? For some reason mine has only the one light, one switch type fitted!

Would anyone be kind enough to post the part number of the map reading light please? For some reason mine has only the one light, one switch type fitted!
I'm guessing you have a saloon and not Avant? I was thinking the same thing, swap the rear light for the Avant model then mod for ambient light. I guess the question is will the avant rear light work in the saloon (straight swap)? If so we're laughing. Can anyone confirm the swap will work?

Woorlord who is a member on here sells these lighting kits with full pics, took me less than 2 hours todo both front and rear

I'm guessing you have a saloon and not Avant? I was thinking the same thing, swap the rear light for the Avant model then mod for ambient light. I guess the question is will the avant rear light work in the saloon (straight swap)? If so we're laughing. Can anyone confirm the swap will work?
A4-B6_RearIntLight.jpg

Either of the above lights are compatible in-car, but the top light can only be modded for Ambient LED Lighting.

You may find this post very interesting too!

Last edited: