Multitronic & Stalling

vinesh

Reaction score
Hi,

I have recently had the EGR valve replaced (Under warranty). The car has been ok since the replacement (3 weeks or so), but today the car has had some issues.

When pulling off the car is normal, however when coming to a stop the car feels if it's going to stall.

Is the EGR valve causing this?

or something else?

the car has 63k and it has had the gearbox oil changed at 40k.
The car was serviced in May 08.

maybe a vacuum leak, not uncommon for this to cause stalling when the brake is pressed. Or might need throttle body adaptation done.

You dont give enough information however, diesel, petrol, what is it?

And how did you know the EGR needed replacing in the first place, same symptom or different?

Hi,

Sorry for the lack of information.

it is 1.9tdi
The egr valve was replaced because it was leaking. VW picked this up when it went in for a service.
Never had issues of it stalling in the past.

no probs mate :)

I would probably try vw and say that its started stalling after the repair, blame them and see if they can at least diagnose the problem. It could be a vacuum leak or something else disturbed by them when fitting the egr.

I had my scooby clutch replaced at a main dealer and they left 2 fuel lines slack and the hill-holder brake so badly fitted back on that the car wouldn't / couldn't reverse!

On top of that they burst a driveshaft gaiter that splattered grease all over the brakes and I almost lost control of the car, dont ever think they cant be to blame because its a main garage. Often they give simple jobs to young idiot apprentices and they screw it up.

cutting out only at idle can only be 1. idle valve (if fitted) 2. vacuum leak 3. TBA gunked up so that the tiny idle air-gap is closed by goo and it dies when the throttle is shut.

Most other faults would cut the engine at any revs, not just idle. They can suffer TDC sensor, engine speed sensor and fuel pump relay problems but they would cause shut down even at high revs.

Go back to the last job done first to see if thats related the problem.

Many thanks for your reply.

Drove the car this afternoon - car back to normal.

The car is fine when its idling
Car feels like it is going to cut out when coming to a stop from speed.

To be on the safe side, I scanned the car with Vagcom - no errors.

Leicester Audi replaced the EGR, i'll ask them to have a look. Car is going in this Saturday.

Oh yeah its a diesel eh, forget the TBA bit, it doesnt have a throttle, id say most like idle control valve or something like that. Could also have been poor fuel pressure at idle...very hard to say for certain though. It must have been something the ecu cant detect or it would have stored a DTC.

Diesels only need good fuel supply at correct pressure to run, its a weird one. The only way to stop a diesel engine is to cut the fuel supply or severely reduce the pressure at the rail, so it can't be something else like a poor sensor as the ecu would have been responsible for cutting it off if a fault was detected elsewhere, and that would throw a code too. Check the wiring to the fuel lift pump (near the tank?) and the fuel pressure regulator (near the injector rail?)

I wonder if theres a measuring block for the tdi that shows rail / injector pressure (or injector stroke / volume) you could monitor and log, then it might show up on vag com. Might have just been a gremlin.

The only fault I have had wi my audi (petrol, but same in this respect) was that it started cutting out immediately after starting, 3 times in a row each time i went out to use it, turned out it was the battery in the fob was nearly dead and the immob thought id taken the key out or summat, and would cut the engine off. New fob battery fixed that.

I realised it was that when I started using the button to lower the windows and after holding it on to do this, the car wouldnt run cos id killed the little battery. £2.49 from hardware shop, CR2032 type, easy to get and change.